Rooting the Motorola Admiral

sschwa04

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
What's the purpose of rooting? I have heard it before but not sure if it's something I'd do with my device or why I would want to do it.

SanDiegoStevo

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Some apps that do unusual things require "root" (superuser, Administrator in the Windows world) access to the device. By default, the Android operating system does not give this access to apps you install. Of course built in apps can have this access, as well as apps that the manufacturer of carrier may install, but apps you download from the Market will not have t his access.

Rooting your phone will give you the power to grant these apps this access.

TL;DNR - Some apps don't work without it.

Reactions: scouch

omega_drh

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
What's the purpose of rooting? I have heard it before but not sure if it's something I'd do with my device or why I would want to do it.

In addition to what SanDiegoStevo wrote, rooting also allows you to remove some apps that are otherwise blocked from being uninstalled, as well as mess with other areas of the filesystem that are otherwise protected. That latter bit is compelling me to consider rooting, in order to delete the annoying camera shutter sound that can't be disabled conventionally any more.

Reactions: scouch

rendang#AC

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Shoot, I'm not a member at mydroidworld.

Question, can you also unroot, in case you need to take it in to get it repaired, etc?
I know they're "supposed" to still repair your phone if it's rooted but it's always better to avoid any hassle.

preryan

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I used this 1-click method today and it worked!
How to get your phone back on the upgrade path...
Just want to save everyone else from suffering my headache (unless I'm just a clueless noob)... Before you can root, you need to go to Settings>Applications>Development and enable 'USB debugging'

I rooted my Kindle because I wanted the google market on it, google music and to be able to change the stupid wall paper.

What is the advantage of rooting your Admiral? What can/do you do now that is different?

I kind of want to root it just because I like playing with things. I am not very good at leaving them alone. I was forever patching and overclocking my Pre.

boggsie

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
What is the advantage of rooting your Admiral? What can/do you do now that is different?

There is a shell script that helps to optimize memory management that requires root. Then to ensure that it runs as root at startup, which requires Script Manager to run as root.

Ultimately, I want to get all of the AOSP applications and widgets into the Admiral. I prefer the AOSP stuff as compared with the Motorola alternatives. The problem is Motorola included their stuff as a replacement as opposed to an alternative.

Eventually my hope is for CWM Recovery support and a custom ROM, but this is well beyond my individual capability.

Best regards,
-boggsie

Sent from my Motorola Admiral on Sprint using Tapatalk

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I am interested in buying the Sprint Motorola Admiral, but using it on Boost's CDMA network (which we all know is Sprint). Has anyone seen this done successfully? I've read that Android's from Sprint cannot be brought over to Boost, but I know it has to be possible, since Boost now also offers several Android models. Any tips would be appreciated!

Wow! Talk about hijacking a thread. You are never gonna find an answer that way. Try starting a new thread with the proper subject!

mattonbass

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Calm down, my friend. It wasn't my intention to hijack anything, I was merely asking a question to people who are more knowledgeable about this phone than myself.

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure you had good intentions but maybe don't understand how forum readers work. Readers are going to look through the list of thread topics for any that interest them and they may like to participate in. Your post that is several posts into the thread will probably never get discovered. If you create a new thread with a more suitable topic then you would have a much better chance of it being read/answered.

enzopreme

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure whether or not this is already known, but the motofail exploit does work to root the admiral after the update to 2.3.5... now for CWM and some roms.....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2