Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Quote Originally Posted by LanceSandino View Post
    You can be rooted and install the update, works just fine. (you just have to re-root after the update).
    The update installs CityID.apk, which is useless since it's only a trial. (If you want to keep it, that's up to you but I didn't want it).

So I just removed it via adb, and my phone works just fine.
    I also removed all the verizon apps. (VZnav, etc).

The only thing I found out was, DO NOT REMOVE Voice Dialer, as your phone will just either keep restarting or motorola blur will crash. (I did that, good thing I kept backups!).

As for dunes20, I will see if I have a backup of CityID, however I think I deleted it lol.
    how did you remove the CityID, im still trying to get rid of that, like what command did you type in to remove it?
    Thanx in advance.

Default Awesome!!!

Great Thanks so much!!!! Just some bloatware I found...

VZNav.apk
    CityID.apk
    MusicSync.apk
    VCastMusic.apk
    VCastVideos.apk
    QuickOffice.apk
    DlnaDms.apk

Does anyone know if you can safely remove BlurHome.apk?
    Thanked by:
    vdsltk 

to get rid of cityID i did

"adb shell"
    "rootshell"
    "secretlol"
    you should have "#" showing now
    "rm /system/app/CityID.apk"

That should be it. Im kind of new to rooting so this may not be the easiest way.

P.S. oops almost forgot, you have to have it mounted as a rw not a read only

mount -o,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    Last edited by ambient711; 09-11-2010 at 02:08 AM. Reason: forgot something
    Thanked by:
    vdsltk 

Quote Originally Posted by ambient711 View Post
    to get rid of cityID i did

"adb shell"
    "rootshell"
    "secretlol"
    you should have "#" showing now
    "rm /system/app/CityID.apk"

That should be it. Im kind of new to rooting so this may not be the easiest way.

P.S. oops almost forgot, you have to have it mounted as a rw not a read only

mount -o,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    thanx a million, those commands worked like a charm

Default Working on a One Click Root for this

Quote Originally Posted by bitswitch View Post
    This whole set of instructions was lifted directly from the instructions
    on how to root the Droid X with a few edits here and there.

(Run means type the command in quotes [but not the quotes] then press the Enter key)
    1.Download the attached archive and expand it to a folder you can find (eg. c:\devour_root)
    2.Set up ADB (You'll need to google this part)
    3.On the phone: Home, Menu Button, Settings, Applications, Development: Make sure the "USB debugging" option is enabled/checked.
    4.Status bar, USB connection: Make sure "PC Mode" is selected.
    5.Open a command prompt (Windows: Start, Run, "cmd", OK; Linux: Terminal)
    6.Run "adb devices". If you don't see your device listed under "List of devices attached", return to step 2 and follow the link to setup ADB (use that topic for support) and return here when "adb devices" lists your X.
    7.Run "CD c:\devour_root" (or where ever you expanded the archive)
    8.Run "adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk"
    9.Run "adb push su /sdcard/su"
    10.Run "adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox"
    11.Run "adb push exploid /sqlite_stmt_journals/exploid"
    12.Run "adb shell"
    13.Run "cd sqlite_stmt_journals"
    14.Run "chmod 755 exploid"
    15.On your phone, navigate to a screen where you can switch wifi/bluetooth on/off easily (settings, or a home screen with a widget)
    16.IMMEDIATELY after executing the next step, toggle wifi or bluetooth off and back on
    17.Run "./exploid" and follow directions on screen. Once this completes you'll be back at a shell prompt.
    18.Run "rootshell". You'll be prompted for a password.
    19.Type in password "secretlol" and press Enter then you are root! (You'll know because your prompt will now be a "#" instead of "$")
    20.Run "mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system"
    21.Run "busybox cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk"
    22.Run "busybox cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su"
    23.Run "busybox cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox"
    24.Run "chmod 4755 /system/bin/su"
    25.Run "chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox"
    26.Run "rm /system/bin/rootshell"
    27.Run "exit" to drop from root to a non-root user shell (on phone still)
    28.Run "exit" to drop back to your machine command prompt (instead of phone)

To Confirm root is established:
    Run "adb shell"
    Run "su" (now you should see the # sign which indicates you are root)
    Watch your screen so you can allow Superuser root access.

You're done! feel free to kill the bloat apps and such. (I haven't tested killing anything yet.)

NOTE: It might be a smart idea to do "rm /system/bin/rootshell" after you have su and superuser in place as ANY program will have access to your root if you leave it (cause everyone will know the password)
    NOTE: If the 'busybox cp' commands do not work try
    "dd if=/sdcard/Superuser.apk of=/system/app/Superuser.apk"
    "dd if=/sdcard/su of=/system/bin/su"
    "dd if=/sdcard/busybox of=/system/bin/busybox"

The edits:
    -added busybox in front of the cp commands
    -mounted the system read write
    -changed out Birdman's su and Superuser.apk to the ones from

Credits:
    Birdman for rooting the Droid X
    ChainsDD for posting the su and Superuser.apk files.

Credits (Original credits from )
    Sebastian Kramer for this blog post -
    Birdman - for editing Sebastians work for the droidx
    [mbm] - for answering birdmans many questions while root was tried (and failed xD)

And of course if anything goes wrong and breaks it is no ones fault but your own. XD

BTW: I've only tested this on my Devour. Your mileage may vary.
    I am working on a one click root for the devour, ill be using this tutorial for help, ill post results here, the root will ofcourse be a bit more than just one click, but it will make it easier to root for people who find it hard

just rooted my devour but now the phone just shut off/on. Help pls!
    Last edited by jrtran; 10-22-2010 at 08:46 PM.

I keep getting "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command" how do i solve this problem?

Default Well......................

everytime i do adb push Superuser.apk/sdcard/Superuser.apk
    i get a message saying that adb is not recognized as an internal or external command etc.

so i cant get passed that. because i dont know if i need to type that when im on
    c:\devour_root\
    or when im on
    c:\AndroidSDK\tools

i dont even know id i setup adb correctly i would like some personal help here is my email

thank you.

Default yes.................

im on step 20 but i dont know if i have to type mount-o rw and remount -t at the same time or first mount -o and then remount -t

well after i did i tryed to do the busybox cp /sdcard etc........ but when i press enter it says

# mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    # busybox cp /sdcard/Superuser.spk /system/app/Superuser.apk
    busybox cp /sdcard/Superuser.spk /system/app/Superuser.apk
    cp: cannot stat '/sdcard/Superuser.spk': No such file or directory
    # busybox cp/sdcard/Superuser.apk/system/app/Superuser.apk
    busybox cp/sdcard/Superuser.apk/system/app/Superuser.apk
    Superuser.apk: applet not found
    #

please help me

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceofDeath View Post
    I keep getting "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command" how do i solve this problem?
    just copy all files from devour_root folder to tools folder and do adb from it.

Well thanks for the help, i have successfully rooted my Devour, now if i can only remove Voice Commands, Visual IM, and MobileIM which i never use an jus keep running in the background

Having trouble on step 14. $ cd chmod 755 exploid
    chmod 755 exploid
    unable to chmod exploid: no such file or directory.

Will not work if lookout or other firewall running on the phone.

can somene help me with adb i tried to download and when in cmd i type in adb and says it cannot be found

Not to revive an old thread or anything, but rooting: What can I do with it, besides custom ROM? I know it gives me su privileges...but what can I do exactly? Can I install a custom ROM on the devour? Are there any being made/completed for the devour? What can I remove safely from the device? Is there a list of all this that is compiled?

My phone is saying c.\devour_root isn't supported... got any clue on how I can fix that or find another file I can download?

C:\devour_root isn't supported? Is that where you extracted it to? I mean...I used Linux for mine...so it was in a different folder...but yeah. Extract the zip in the first post to C:\ and make it C:\devour_root and try again...Make sure punctuation and whatnot is correct too...because I know with windows it can be a pain in the arse....

Hey, Im completely new to the whole rooting thing. So new to the fact that didnt know it existed until about 12 hrs ago. After reading a few posts about it im still unaware of a couple things. If i root my phone what will it allow me to do? Will i be able to get rid of motoblur and make the phone run faster/better battery life?

Karlito: you can remove a lot of apps. You CAN remove the motoblur home...however you need to have another home app installed first...that's the only thing you can delete from motoblur. Deleting other apps will help improve battery life. If you want...after work I can tell you what I've found is safe to remove.

Yea if you could let me know how to remove those apps and a efficient home app that would be awesome.
    Thanked by:

Karlito:

Look for Titanium Backup in the market place. It's what I currently use to remove programs. As far as a decent home? I use the default stock one...but a lot of people use LauncherPro from what I understand. As for what you can remove....
    Quick Office
    Visual Voice Mail
    Vcast crap
    Verizon Navigator GPS thing
    Text to Speech
    News Widget
    Virtual Private Network
    Help Center
    Blur Home (Make sure before you do that, you install a new home app)
    Voice Commands (Remove this one last, as you will need to do a battery pull after this one)

Do not remove ANY other Motoblur things, as your phone will spaz out and not work correctly.

I think that's all I've removed so far...Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pandroid View Post
    Karlito:

Look for Titanium Backup in the market place. It's what I currently use to remove programs. As far as a decent home? I use the default stock one...but a lot of people use LauncherPro from what I understand. As for what you can remove....
    Quick Office
    Visual Voice Mail
    Vcast crap
    Verizon Navigator GPS thing
    Text to Speech
    News Widget
    Virtual Private Network
    Help Center
    Blur Home (Make sure before you do that, you install a new home app)
    Voice Commands (Remove this one last, as you will need to do a battery pull after this one)

Do not remove ANY other Motoblur things, as your phone will spaz out and not work correctly.

I think that's all I've removed so far...Good luck
    I am assuming I have to download the SDK of an Android release for the home screen right? or will it be buried in the phone somewhere.

I really Hate Motoblur. and the rest of the VZ crap, that keeps auto starting. Advanced Task Killer is having a hard time keeping up.

I getting a notice from kaspersky of a Trojan in this file exploid.linux.lotoor.e

How can I get around this ?

Hi I am new to the Android area and would appreciate any help. Thank you.

I just bought a Devour and am getting ready to root it. Hope all goes well. lol
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast