Droid 2 Global Problems

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Droid 2 Global for going on three months. I'm constantly dropping calls, and the phone is restarting itself rather often. What's the chances that I could get a Droid 3 through the Warranty Department after it's released? I've usually been able to do something of this sort with AT&T, so I'm not too sure how VZW will handle it.

dk21

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Really unlikely. Warranty replacements aren't intended to provide you with a free upgrade. Why not call and perhaps they will get you a replacement D2G if the problem can't be resolved otherwise?

NateDizzy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Your best chance is to wait until past the EOL has been announced and passed. I did this with my pos BB9630 to a BB9650, my brother just got an insurance upgrade from the Dinc to the Dinc2. It can happen, probably not yet though.

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Your best chance is to wait until past the EOL has been announced and passed. I did this with my pos BB9630 to a BB9650, my brother just got an insurance upgrade from the Dinc to the Dinc2. It can happen, probably not yet though.

That's a good thought . . . do you by chance know when the EOL for the Droid 2 Global will be?

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Ughh Im having endless problems with my d2g. Restarting randomly, turning off in the middle of a call, ending a call randomly, texts not sending/recieving, pressing the power button randomly yields a black screen with the buttons lighting at the bottom.

Im on my 4th phone and im so frustrated. all of the phones have the same problems, except on just turned off and never came back on lol. I have no apps or corrupted contacts or anything that would cause this. Ive reset multiple times. I dial *228 on a daily basis. Verizon is consulting their "engineers" and will call me back in a few days. I cannot believe I payed $199 for this phone and have been having problems since the beginning. :/

mkurz12

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Same here. Numerous problems. Back up assistant won't sync but keeps trying, constant restarting, *228 doesn't work, hangs up in the middle of programming. If the phone itself doesn't restart the stock home launcher does 4 or 5 times a day. Even tried Launcher Pro and ADW to fix that but only lasted about a week before both were just as bad.
(I do know the fix to make 3rd party launchers not restart constantly but I am not rooted) Even with them deleted the stock home launcher still restarts a lot! I have reset my device to factory settings numerous times in case it was something I downloaded or something was corrupted. Even with absolutely nothing,no contacts, no SD card installed and no simm, literally nothing on the device at all other than what comes from VZW, it still restarts!!!!
Was told that it was the last service update that caused ALL the issues apparently (yes even the ones that existed prior to the update, they literally said "yes" when I asked that exact question!!!!) and that 2.3 will fix it. Told to hold out for the update by tech support. They said it will be out in a few days to a week....that was 3 weeks ago!!!

I don't think I'll EVER spend my money on another Motorola device EVER but I would take a D3 replacement for this POS in a second!
The D2G is actually my first Motorola purchase since the flip phone Startac days!!!!! AND IT WILL BE MY LAST!!!!!!!

Sorry for the rant . Started out thinking "Hey same here." then as I typed I got mad at the situation and, well there you go!

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Same here. Numerous problems. Back up assistant won't sync but keeps trying, constant restarting, *228 doesn't work, hangs up in the middle of programming. If the phone itself doesn't restart the stock home launcher does 4 or 5 times a day. Even tried Launcher Pro and ADW to fix that but only lasted about a week before both were just as bad.
(I do know the fix to make 3rd party launchers not restart constantly but I am not rooted) Even with them deleted the stock home launcher still restarts a lot! I have reset my device to factory settings numerous times in case it was something I downloaded or something was corrupted. Even with absolutely nothing,no contacts, no SD card installed and no simm, literally nothing on the device at all other than what comes from VZW, it still restarts!!!!
Was told that it was the last service update that caused ALL the issues apparently (yes even the ones that existed prior to the update, they literally said "yes" when I asked that exact question!!!!) and that 2.3 will fix it. Told to hold out for the update by tech support. They said it will be out in a few days to a week....that was 3 weeks ago!!!

I don't think I'll EVER spend my money on another Motorola device EVER but I would take a D3 replacement for this POS in a second!
The D2G is actually my first Motorola purchase since the flip phone Startac days!!!!! AND IT WILL BE MY LAST!!!!!!!

Sorry for the rant . Started out thinking "Hey same here." then as I typed I got mad at the situation and, well there you go!
Kinda glad im not the only one! I too am mad about this. I understand that we may be outliers but really 4 D2G's and all have had problems? What are the chances!

New problem: My phone will have all the icons dissappear except the ones on the bottom (white ones).

I'm calling and im gunna try to get anything then this POS phone.

PS. Verizon sent me a text yesterday about the problem ticket I had saying that the issue with the texting is fixed.....thing is..i still have all the other problems. :/

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
What do you think the chances are of Verizon giving me a new model phone all-together because of issues with the D2G? I'm on replacement number 4...

NateDizzy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
My secretary at work just had her couple month old D2G replaced with a Droid X after having numerous problems. She was able to accomplish this through the customer service call center, i wouldn't waste my time going into a store.

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Screw the store. They literally sent me home multiple times basically saying they couldn't do anything to help. Stores are just there to sell phones...nothing more.

I called yesterday and they offered to send me a whole different model. I told them all I want is a blackberry bold. Sorry android, I will come back when everything is updated and stable.

NateDizzy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Screw the store. They literally sent me home multiple times basically saying they couldn't do anything to help. Stores are just there to sell phones...nothing more.

I called yesterday and they offered to send me a whole different model. I told them all I want is a blackberry bold. Sorry android, I will come back when everything is updated and stable.

WOW, as someone that USED to be a RIM guy and still wishes they could get their act together; i cannot say that you are getting any more stable or updated. Best of luck with your decision but that would have been close to my last choice for a replacement device.

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
My secretary at work just had her couple month old D2G replaced with a Droid X after having numerous problems. She was able to accomplish this through the customer service call center, i wouldn't waste my time going into a store.

I'm trying to get the Droid 3! I guess I'll have a "problem" with my phone after the EOL date for the Droid 2 Global.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to get the Droid 3! I guess I'll have a "problem" with my phone after the EOL date for the Droid 2 Global.

That's what I'm trying to do for my girlfriend. She is on her 4th Droid 2 Global and I will not be accepting another one. They are gonna give her a Droid 3.

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
WOW, as someone that USED to be a RIM guy and still wishes they could get their act together; i cannot say that you are getting any more stable or updated. Best of luck with your decision but that would have been close to my last choice for a replacement device.

Well atleast I know I'll be able to place a call and expect it to stay powered on throughout...lol

I'll wait for later this year to see what comes out and Ill probably buy something else. IDK what yet tho.

smurfette8202

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

wat is an EOL and all that other lingo?! please inform me.......i hate this stupid droid.....im on my third one and if they send me another droid 2 i will go to the store and throw it at someone!:mad:

k3davis

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
This issue may be fixed with 2.3

No offense, but I would take this as empty solace: I personally don't believe the Droid 2 will get Gingerbread OTA. You'll have to put it on yourself.

That said, I will join in with all others in this thread and say that, even though I work in IT and deal with broken and buggy crap all day, this "smartphone" (cuss) is the single most frustrating piece of garbage technology I've ever handled. Other android phones I've worked with - including my wife's dinc2 - can be annoying and quirky too. But this one is crying to be thrown into the river - which is just what I told the last verizon rep I spoke with I would do. ;)

Granted.. empty threat. Phone is out of warranty, but a good long time before an upgrade is in line. Hope by then they have a 4G phone that doesn't also make people want to hurt something/someone.