Roaming Data Update Problem after Update

winslm

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I updated my phone yesterday. I moved from California to Alaska a few months ago and run on the Verizon Extended data network. The phone keeps saying I am roaming internationally. Never mind that Alaska is part of the USA. Before the update I enabled data roaming and everything was fine. Now the setting keeps resetting in low signal areas. I repeatedly have to turn data roaming back on.

I read that the Droid 3 also has this problem. Has anyone encountered this with the Droid 2 global?

mascotea

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
All the time! Fringe areas trigger this constantly where the phone is switching between Verizon and extended coverage. Apparently Moto assumed that the only time the phone would roam would be "internationally", which of course is ridiculous.

I see this prompt several times a day in Southern WI, and occassionally it will also switch off Data Roaming on it's own too. I have found no combination of settings that will correct this.

gg_s

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Try updating your PRL by calling *228 and selecting option 2. It will take about 2 minutes and doesn't cost anything. In simple terms, this will make your phone aware of recent changes to network access in your area, including new towers and recently provisioned shared access.

Here's what Verizon says about it. Preferred Roaming List

I have a lake cabin in rural northern Minnesota. Usable signal was rare until a new tower was erected about 10 miles away. However, coverage never improved, despite the local paper reporting that the new tower is live (big news in a small town!). As it turns out, my phone didn't "see" the new tower until I updated my PRL. Now I have nearly full coverage and 3G access... in the middle of nowhere.

Your mileage may vary. Doing this twice a year or so isn't a bad idea, as Verizon's network is constantly changing.

winslm

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
The phone keeps going back to the default setting of no roaming data, before the update I set it once and I was fine. I also can not do *228 on a roaming tower.

ldiggs53

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
My phone did the same thing this weekend. I've made the trip to rural Indiana to visit family several times, but this problem only started after the gb update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad