4.5.629 Update for the D2G

mascotea

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded the OTA update to gingerbread 2.3.4 this morning!

I see the backlight on the physical keyboard is finally fixed, so it no longer operates backwards (used to come on in light conditions and turn off in the dark).

Typing is still very buggy though. Double letters and sometimes double words still pop up when typing (physical keyboard with Swype disabled), the screen still doesn't always follow the cursor when it moves down off-screen as you're typing, the cursor will jump around and put special characters like hyphens and @ symbols somewhere completely different than intended, and bold, italics, and color fonts still do not apply correctly, sometimes don't shut off or will duplicate the word. Everything but the double letters/words also apply to the on-screen keyboard as well (again, with Swype disabled)

Will be interested to see if the "International Roaming" warning I get in the fringe areas around Madison, WI still appear. By far they are the most irritating thing about gingerbread (Froyo did not do this), popping up every time my phone switches to roaming. Sometimes it will also uncheck the "Data Roaming" checkbox too without even asking, usually after I get three or four of the Int'l Roaming messages in the span of about ten minutes. I usually get the warnings around ten times each direction driving the 29 miles to and from work, basically every time the phone roams away from the Verizon towers.

Simba7

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Good luck rooting the phone now and you can't SBF it back without bricking it.

I actually read up on it first and the cons outweighed the pros on the upgrade. I promptly changed a couple filenames and wiped the cache so it didn't get installed.

mascotea

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes that is most definitely correct, rooting is now currently impossible.

This phone is on it's last legs for me, I just wanted some of these annoying bugs fixed!

k3davis

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Good luck rooting the phone now and you can't SBF it back without bricking it.

I'm interested in the SBF part of this statement... I have a D2G that was running a rooted 4.5.608 and (apparently stupidly) agreed to install the update when prompted, but the install failed. OK - that's probably the good news - but even though it failed, when I rebooted my phone it was caught in a reboot loop. I've seen other mention of that for this phone but never had it before myself.

Instructions I've found indicate I should boot to stock recovery and wipe the data and cache in such a case, but I can't get it to boot to stock recovery - unless I'm doing it wrong (I've seen and tried 3 different types of directions for this) - holding down "X" and power seems to be the prevalent idea... but I get an Android logo with a yellow exclamation point. If I let it try to boot normally, it still loops.

The update failed, but apparently it did something. Which brings me to the question... what will happen if I SBF? Or am I screwed already anyway?

Edit: NVM, I got into stock recovery and all is well. Fidgety little junker I have here.

Last edited: