Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

Default Will is be worth it if you already own a Droid?

a moot point for me, since i am getting an X, and its going to be nothing but early speculation since there isnt a lot of info besides specs, but will this be a phone worth upgrading to if you already own a motorola droid? it seems like, for lack of a better term, an iphone-esque upgrade from the original droid. just curious to see if there are any current droid owners that are really excited about this device, and why.

ROM
    Swapping them all out

I don't see it as something to be hyped about, unless you want a smaller screen and a physical keyboard to make your phone way more!
    Kyocera Strobe> Motorola Razor> Motorola Q> Blackberry Curve> Droid X> Fascinate

My father got my Droid X, my stepmother has a Droid 2, and I'm using a rooted Fascinate, swapping out lots of roms.

ROM
    Swapping them all out

Then again you also have to look at base Android vs that InvisiNinjaPhilBlur..
    Kyocera Strobe> Motorola Razor> Motorola Q> Blackberry Curve> Droid X> Fascinate

My father got my Droid X, my stepmother has a Droid 2, and I'm using a rooted Fascinate, swapping out lots of roms.
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9/Franco Kernal

It depends. If this one doesn't have a boot loader locked, it would be worth it. If it is locked as well, then I would take the X over it.
    I'm a tech junkie with a weak spot for Good Music, Good Beer, and Excellent Coffee.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by menno View Post
    It depends. If this one doesn't have a boot loader locked, it would be worth it. If it is locked as well, then I would take the X over it.
    do you honestly think they are going to leave the droid2 bootloader open after locking down the Xs? Motorola already said they would be locking down ALL future devices. only hope for custom ROMs with these two phones is if a unlocked bootloader gets leaked. (or if devs figure out a way to flash one with a sbf file )
    Device : Galaxy Nexus
    Build : 4.0.3 IML74K
    Kernel: 3.0.8-g490ff3

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by MolecularGraph View Post
    Then again you also have to look at base Android vs that InvisiNinjaPhilBlur..
    this also makes no sense, both phones run the EXACT same OS. i have played with both since my friend is a tester at verizon and tests phones before they come out. yeah sorry to break it to you but the droid2 will have the same exact launcher as the droid x. it is not motoblur tho i can vouch for that. it's vanilla with a different launcher that's all. no speculation please
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,665 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Not on your life if you want full root look elsewhere. I will bet both of these devices will be like the milestone. And don't plan on seeing anymore sbf files
    Apparently moto was pissed when they leaked and is really putting the lock down on the sbf files
    Rooted for life
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9/Franco Kernal

It really makes me sad. Between the two designs, I prefer the Motorola Android look (at least for their high end phones) to anything put out by HTC or Samsung. But.. I don't want to go back to a device that you can't root after having the wonder that is the Droid 1.

HTC and Samsung phones feel cheap to me.. but if motorola continues this lock, the droid is my last motorola.
    I'm a tech junkie with a weak spot for Good Music, Good Beer, and Excellent Coffee.
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,665 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

^^ I'm in the same position as you. I'm going to wait and see if they make progress on the x. If not I'm off to the fascinate or next HTC beast
    Rooted for life

Global Posts
    1,149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I have the incredible and actually had never played with the Moto Droid until recently. I was thinking about selling the inc and getting the droid 2 because I want the true android experience....does not look like that is going to happen

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by thebizz View Post
    Not on your life if you want full root look elsewhere. I will bet both of these devices will be like the milestone. And don't plan on seeing anymore sbf files
    Apparently moto was pissed when they leaked and is really putting the lock down on the sbf files
    i already have 3 sbf files for the Droid X :P

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by menno View Post
    It really makes me sad. Between the two designs, I prefer the Motorola Android look (at least for their high end phones) to anything put out by HTC or Samsung. But.. I don't want to go back to a device that you can't root after having the wonder that is the Droid 1.

HTC and Samsung phones feel cheap to me.. but if motorola continues this lock, the droid is my last motorola.
    absolutely man, i am with you 100%. isn't the WHOLE POINT of Android to be open and free? well atleast that's the impression i got out of it before i made the switch a year or so ago. this makes me very very upset. but if this is a trend of motorolas from now on (and i think it will be) then i will NEVER purchase another motorola device. they should make a developer version that is not locked down with no warranty or a limited warranty and then a consumer version that is locked down with a full regular warranty.
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9/Franco Kernal

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckG73 View Post
    I have the incredible and actually had never played with the Moto Droid until recently. I was thinking about selling the inc and getting the droid 2 because I want the true android experience....does not look like that is going to happen
    There are root methods for your phone, and I believe Cyanogen's team is fully supporting it, so there is your awesome rooted stock experience.

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.1 JB

Back on topic, based on specs alone, the Droid2 is basically a Droid X with a smaller screen and slide out keyboard. They should make the Droid2 without a real keyboard and make it slimmer. Id buy that!

Quote Originally Posted by BleezyD View Post
    Back on topic, based on specs alone, the Droid2 is basically a Droid X with a smaller screen and slide out keyboard. They should make the Droid2 without a real keyboard and make it slimmer. Id buy that!
    They did, its called the Droid X.
    GenericMessage

Quote Originally Posted by BleezyD View Post
    If those are even the real specs. Who knows what they're going to pull out of their sleeves!

I wont upgrade until I have a front facing camera personally.
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,665 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Quote Originally Posted by borgey401 View Post
    i already have 3 sbf files for the Droid X :P
    Good stuff now get the developer bootloader and root this bad boy. I wont be buying it simply because I don't like the what their doing. I too got inti android for the openness. And Motorola trying to pull an apple is not something I'm cool with. The phone will be great but ill pass
    Rooted for life
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9/Franco Kernal

Quote Originally Posted by thebizz View Post
    Good stuff now get the developer bootloader and root this bad boy. I wont be buying it simply because I don't like the what their doing. I too got inti android for the openness. And Motorola trying to pull an apple is not something I'm cool with. The phone will be great but ill pass
    I was wondering what you would consider next?

I posted this, but I'm not sure if it's in the right forum or not.

Personally, I'll be taking a look at the Verizon Galaxy S variant. As long as it's easy to unlock like the GSM versions, it should be the next best thing to a Dev phone those of us on Verizon will get.

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckG73 View Post
    Not worth upgrading from an original Droid but if they decide to replace it with the Droid like they replaced the Bold with the Tours then that'll be cool
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,665 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

My point exactly especially if your d1 is rooted man the only plus the d2 has is more ram and it has internal storage. Both are small upgrades in my book
    Rooted for life

Is the Droid 2 slated to get Gingerbread? If so, that would be a good reason to upgrade. But to be honest, the original Proud is a monster phone. I wish that I had gotten that a ling time ago instead if going with the iPhone late last year. I ended up hitting the cycle of the iPhone 3GS, Palm Pre, Hero, and Tour before finally landing with the EVO. If I had gotten the Droid in the beginning, I wouldn't have made all if those changes and would have saved a lot if time and money. I am a big fan of the Droid as you can tell. It was an underwater device that was secretly the best phone on the market when it was released.

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    Is the Droid 2 slated to get Gingerbread? If so, that would be a good reason to upgrade. But to be honest, the original Proud is a monster phone. I wish that I had gotten that a ling time ago instead if going with the iPhone late last year. I ended up hitting the cycle of the iPhone 3GS, Palm Pre, Hero, and Tour before finally landing with the EVO. If I had gotten the Droid in the beginning, I wouldn't have made all if those changes and would have saved a lot if time and money. I am a big fan of the Droid as you can tell. It was an underwater device that was secretly the best phone on the market when it was released.
    yeah same here. i had the iphone 3g, went to the tour ( still kinda miffed bout the name change) and then to a droid. in regards to upgrading i agree with the other previous statement about just really increasing the ram/internal storage. my phone runs fine and its stock everything. obviously i dont know much bout rooting an overclocking and being able to do things with it that would warrant needing more ram, but i mean it does make or break it for me. maybe the ability to have gingerbread, but im sure i can wait till someone finds a way to get rooted on there. then ill start messing round with it
    life is good

Motorola Droid 2 will be a waist of money. Only worth it to people who are not into the best features. 5MP camera is a joke same as the first, the Flash is not functionally comparative to the Droid INC. New android devices need 1Ghz min, front facing camera, 8MP camera with dial LED flash similar to HTC phones not the Motorola dual flash there’s is handicapped with that plastic shield over it. In addition, this Droid 2 does not have anything interesting. Just a faster version of the new one. So who wants to upgrade to the Droid 2 instead of something else....only worth it for people who absolutely need a keyboard and don’t care about anything else. This is IMHO. Anyone care to state other reasons why this phone would be worth buying besides what I had mentioned?

Global Posts
    1,149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I have the HTC Inc and am thinking about making the switch....

ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by xtremeviper02 View Post
    Motorola Droid 2 will be a waist of money. Only worth it to people who are not into the best features. 5MP camera is a joke same as the first, the Flash is not functionally comparative to the Droid INC. New android devices need 1Ghz min, front facing camera, 8MP camera with dial LED flash similar to HTC phones not the Motorola dual flash theres is handicapped with that plastic shield over it. In addition, this Droid 2 does not have anything interesting. Just a faster version of the new one. So who wants to upgrade to the Droid 2 instead of something else....only worth it for people who absolutely need a keyboard and dont care about anything else. This is IMHO. Anyone care to state other reasons why this phone would be worth buying besides what I had mentioned?
    You might want to educate yourself on the actual significance of megapixels on cellphones before using it as the basis of an argument. Matter of fact, I'll save you the trouble: They don't matter. 3,5,8,12. Doesn't matter if the lens and sensor are crap. Manufactures just ramp up the number for marketing purposes. Assuming the Droid 2's cam performs at, or at least around the Droid X, then it will be superior to the Droid Incredible. Not necessarily my opinion, but in the opinion of major online outlets that I trust.

Other reasons to want it over a Droid 1 - more internal storage which means you don't have to worry about cleaning your cache frequently. More RAM, 45 nm chips that lead to longer battery life, a FM radio, a noise cancellation mic, and a keyboard that you actually want to use.
    Back to Big Red. Sprint was tooooo slow
    Click my Twitter | Galaxy Note 2
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast