Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question D2 flashed to Mobi..cannot root or put custom rom?

Hi everyone! This should be a pretty simple question...but it is a bit beyond my current understanding level...

I have a droid 2 with 2.3.4 and the 621... I just got it flashed from VZW to Mobi PCS (i wanted to do it myself, but i could not find the PRL SID/NID, MDN/MIN etc on the internet anywhere), anyways they offer unlimited data..which is SWEET! Currently everything works as it should..SMS, Data/Web, Voicemail, Calls, and text messaging.

However, I want to tether via wifi without paying the $15/month extra fee. I understand from my research on this forum that rooting and getting a custom rom would solve this, BUT..the guys at the "unlocking"-store told me that I will have issues if i upgrade to 629, put a custom rom, OR if i root the phone...?? I'm certainly not an expert with androids YET...but it seems as long as I back up the APN's (and put them back after rooting/flashing new rom) nothing else should get modified during rooting (EZsbf method) or installing a custom rom...is that correct??? Or do i need QPST and CDMA WS..and much more knowledge?? -lol

Or am i missing something? If so, can someone tell me what other settings or files i need to make backups of before i root?

THANKS!

Also, I hate to ask NOOB questions when i could go searching for the answer...but if someone could also tell me the best rom, kernel, and easiest root method...haha!