Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    kjjb0204's Avatar

    Posts
    609 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,820 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CleanRom 5.5

    Default Why is there not more chatter on the D2?

    I'm surprised that with a rumored release of next Thursday that there isn't more discussion going on here. Does this phone have a spot in Verizon's lineup or are there too many other choices? For me, this one might just be the right device to make me come back to Android after 3 weeks with the Inc. Not much I didn't like about the Inc., but couldn't get past a few things that the D2 should have. I would just get the Inc. again, but now that the D2 is coming out, I may just wait. The DX would be my ultimate choice, but it's just too big and I want to have as close to DX functionality as possible but in a smaller package. It seems the D2 would most closely match up to the DX, minus 8MP, 720p vid, hdmi out.

    I guess I'm trying to choose between the Inc and the D2. Seems the only thing the Inc has over the D2 is Sense, but some don't even think that's an advantage. I really liked Sense, but have nothing to compare to.

    Thoughts?
  2. #2  
    Cory Streater's Avatar
    Forums Emeritus

    Posts
    12,993 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

    Default

    I've asked myself the same question. It's making me wonder if this phone will be all that successful. I hope it is, and I don't see any reason it wouldn't be, based on the success of the Droid X.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    kjjb0204's Avatar

    Posts
    609 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,820 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CleanRom 5.5

    Default

    I'm looking at it like it's basically an Incredible plus a keyboard, minus 8MP and Sense. Is that pretty much it for major differences?
  4. #4  

    Default

    Kinda, but the D2 should have better graphical performance with its PowerVR chip. You're also looking at a slightly higher resolution screen and more readability in sunlight.

    I'm a little bummed by the lack of buzz, but I'm confident those who do check out this phone will be pleased and we'll slowly build up a community.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    kjjb0204's Avatar

    Posts
    609 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,820 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CleanRom 5.5

    Default

    Then let's start the buzzing! I'm getting more excited for this phone the more I read about it. I also saw last month a screenshot of a Verizon screen (on some random site I think) that the Inc is in their closeout/phased items. Is that true?
  6. #6  

    Default

    Here's the only decent hands on video, in case you missed it:


    I saw that report too, but I'm pretty sure it was debunked. They are getting new Incredibles with new screens now.
  7. #7  
    moosc's Avatar
    Grand Master Moosc

    Posts
    3,544 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,618 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

    Default

    iit reminds of the droid eris and hope it doesnt go that route.
  8. #8  
    milq's Avatar

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

    Default

    I had intended to get the X but I'm on contract (with a different carrier) until Sept. so I am eagerly awaiting the D2. I love the X that I checked out but I am slightly put off by the length of it and the touchscreen only. The big screen is great but I really have no need of it or the 720p and HDMI out.

    What I DO need is a reliable phone with push gmail and google voice apps, a good browser and I'd like to be able to keep it in my shirt pocket at times.

    I think the D2 may fill this role very well but I have also been a bit disappointed in the apparent lack of interest in the D2.
  9. #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    iit reminds of the droid eris and hope it doesnt go that route.
    No way, the Eris was doomed by very outdated hardware. The D2 has the CPU, GPU, and RAM to stay quite relevant over the next year. I'm sure there will be some dual cores and maybe even LTE by next summer, but I don't believe any of the current 1Ghz/512MB RAM crop will have trouble keeping up like the MT3G, Hero, and Eris did.
  10. #10  
    CSI Guy's Avatar

    Posts
    581 Posts
    Global Posts
    649 Global Posts

    Default

    Looks like a great phone, I have the D1 an will likely upgrade to the D2. Like the more horsepower.
  11. #11  
    Cory Streater's Avatar
    Forums Emeritus

    Posts
    12,993 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
    Then let's start the buzzing! I'm getting more excited for this phone the more I read about it. I also saw last month a screenshot of a Verizon screen (on some random site I think) that the Inc is in their closeout/phased items. Is that true?
    Agreed! Let's get this forum rocking, guys
  12. #12  
    Shooperman's Avatar

    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Cyanogenmod 10 nightly

    Default

    Android noob here, making the switch after a 4 year run with BlackBerry (current Storm 2 owner). I'm due for an upgrade in early September and I'm really looking forward to the Droid 2. I have played with the X multiple times and really like it, but I think I still need the physical keyboard (main gripe with the Storm). The leaked specs seem really impressive, I cant wait!
  13. #13  

    Default

    I'm def going to check it out. I loved my droid. I have the dx now, but who knows...if the keyboard is awesome maybe I'll return the dx.
  14. #14  

    Default

    I'm coming from an Iphone 3GS and I'm looking to get a Droid phone. I had an opportunity last fall but I chose the BB Storm 2. Bad pick. Then went to the Iphone which was another bad pick. So I'm hoping to not make a third times a charm mistake again. LOL I have played with the Droid X and like it, however I do like a phone that has a physical keyboard. So now I have been stuck trying to decide if getting the D1 because its cheaper, or going with the D2 because it is new. So I'm waiting to see if Thursday the 12th if the D2 will appear. If not I may go with the D1 or the the X.
  15. #15  

    Default

    The Droid 2 will do just fine. I think Verizon is holding off any announcements and advertising because they are still raking in big bucks on the Droid X. They will release the Droid 2 on the 12th and let those in the know pick it up. Once the Droid X sales slow a little they will begin advertising the Droid 2 which will help Verizon to continue to post big sales numbers. Allowing people to quietly buy the Droid 2 before a huge advertising campaign may help keep the phone from being back ordered like the Incredible and Droid X. Also, the Droid has been discontinued so they probably want to get as much of their stock depleted as possible before being forced to drop the price to $99 or less.
  16. #16  
    CSI Guy's Avatar

    Posts
    581 Posts
    Global Posts
    649 Global Posts

    Default

    Sending my new Dinc back and getting the Droid2. The reception on the Dinc is no where as good as the Motorola Droids. Yes I have the D1 and the DX but want the D2 for more horsepower.
  17. #17  
    ChuckG73's Avatar

    Posts
    1,497 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,576 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default

    Okay I was there with everyone, thinking about trading / selling my DInc and getting the Droid 2, but the more I see and hear about the Droid 2 the less impressed I am. I rooted to SkyRaider 2.2 my DInc is like a new phone, so now I am going to keep my DInc. I would rather wait 6 months and see what else comes out. In my opinion this phone is 3 or 4 months late arriving and besides the better keyboard the phone is not as attractive as the 1st. I really like the Black Droid.
  18. #18  
    ChuckG73's Avatar

    Posts
    1,497 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,576 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default

    I have the DInc with Sky Raider 2.2 and i really can not get excited about this phone....
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    kjjb0204's Avatar

    Posts
    609 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,820 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CleanRom 5.5

    Default

    Yeah, I was thinking for current Inc owners, this wouldn't be a major attraction, but for someone like me on a BB, or any non-Android platform, it's a pretty close call between the Inc or the D2. Will definitely need to see the D2 in person.
  20. #20  

    Default

    Why in blazes would anyone who has the X or Incredible go to the Droid 2? Sure, the Droid 2 has a faster processor then the Droid 1 but thats basically it. Oh yes, the new keyboard, forgot about that. Honestly, I wouldn't change just for the new keyboard. When I had the droid 1, I rarely used the keyboard and I was one of the few who actually liked it. For me, a slideout keyboard just doesn't work for me. The droid 2 is built nice like the first one so that may be a huge factor for many.

    I had the Incredible and had to be convinced to try the X. The Incredible with the stock battery just doesn't cut it. The Incredible with the extended battery does cut it, and it does it in a huge way. The Incredible has the best browser of any Android, thats my opinion. It worked wonders for me and I loved how it auto fit on a dime.

    The X was basically shoved in my face so I had to try it. The first week was iffy because of the battery problem but even that was not to big of a deal after learning that all it took was a reboot. With the new update, the X for lack of a better word, is " Incredible". I have had many phones in my life and for the first time ever, I feel satisfied. For a cellphone junky to be satisfied is bad news my friends. I can only imagine what Froyo will do to it.

    In summary, with the good build quality and pretty good standard battery life, good camera, very good camcorder, wonderful screen with boatloads of extras that makes you appreciate the screen even more, the wonderful feel of the phone in your hand, the X, for the money is the logical choice to buy.
    In no way am I bashing the other phones, lets be clear about that. What I will be clear about is that in my opinion, the X is the best Android out right now.
  21. #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ferniesp View Post
    Why in blazes would anyone who has the X or Incredible go to the Droid 2? Sure, the Droid 2 has a faster processor then the Droid 1 but thats basically it. Oh yes, the new keyboard, forgot about that. Honestly, I wouldn't change just for the new keyboard. When I had the droid 1, I rarely used the keyboard and I was one of the few who actually liked it. For me, a slideout keyboard just doesn't work for me. The droid 2 is built nice like the first one so that may be a huge factor for many.

    I had the Incredible and had to be convinced to try the X. The Incredible with the stock battery just doesn't cut it. The Incredible with the extended battery does cut it, and it does it in a huge way. The Incredible has the best browser of any Android, thats my opinion. It worked wonders for me and I loved how it auto fit on a dime.

    The X was basically shoved in my face so I had to try it. The first week was iffy because of the battery problem but even that was not to big of a deal after learning that all it took was a reboot. With the new update, the X for lack of a better word, is " Incredible". I have had many phones in my life and for the first time ever, I feel satisfied. For a cellphone junky to be satisfied is bad news my friends. I can only imagine what Froyo will do to it.

    In summary, with the good build quality and pretty good standard battery life, good camera, very good camcorder, wonderful screen with boatloads of extras that makes you appreciate the screen even more, the wonderful feel of the phone in your hand, the X, for the money is the logical choice to buy.
    In no way am I bashing the other phones, lets be clear about that. What I will be clear about is that in my opinion, the X is the best Android out right now.
    You mentioned the Droid 2 only once in that entire novel. You think maybe this belongs in another forum?

    Believe it or not, not everyone has or wants an X or Incredible. Android is about choice and the D2 is just another option for those who want its features. There's no need to crown one phone the king - the other overlords do that for their sheep.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    kjjb0204's Avatar

    Posts
    609 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,820 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CleanRom 5.5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ferniesp View Post
    Why in blazes would anyone who has the X or Incredible go to the Droid 2?
    Wasn't my question - I'm curious why, with same or better specs than the Inc, this D2 isn't attracting more attention. If I had the X or Inc, I would'nt suspect I would even think of switching to the D2, but for a non-Android user today, I have a choice in front of me. The X is out of the question - it's just too big for me.
  23. #23  
    Axlfro's Avatar

    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts

    Default

    I own an DINC and i'm def switching to D2 on Thursday when it comes out. I'm pretty confident saying WHEN, since 2 sales reps at 2 different verizon stores told me to wait until Aug 12 for the D2 if I want to swap out my phone (I'm still under my 30 days with DINC). Don't get me wrong the Incredible is a great phone but the battery straight up sucks. Why should I have to pay an extra $50 for an extended battery to have my phone work for more than 6 hours when the stock battery should have done it's job in the first place?

    Considired the X, looks to ugly and big. I also do miss having a physical keyboard. I feel the the keyboard in portrait mode on the DINC is too skinny and makes a lot of errors when typing. Can't wait for D2.
  24. #24  
    bigpetefox's Avatar
    A delicious bass...

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CleanROM 4.2, JellyBean

    Default Re: Why is there not more chatter on the D2?

    The only difference the D2 brings is a better keyboard, and Froyo out the box. I'll play with a live model soon, but there's no leaving my Incredible just yet! ;-)


    Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk
  25. #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
    Wasn't my question - I'm curious why, with same or better specs than the Inc, this D2 isn't attracting more attention. If I had the X or Inc, I would'nt suspect I would even think of switching to the D2, but for a non-Android user today, I have a choice in front of me. The X is out of the question - it's just too big for me.
    I'll give you my reasons.

    1: e-mail reading on the Droid 1 was horrendous and I don't think it will change with the Droid 2. What I am saying is that you cannot customize the font and stock e-mail is tiny. This has been a problem with the Droid 1 since day one. For you, it may not be a big deal, for me, it was huge!

    2: Droid 1 browser is good, not great. I even ran it with Froyo, still not as good as the Incredible. I am a huge data guy. The Auto fit on the HTC is second to none.

    3: I think the Incredible has a better screen then the Droid 1 and I am sure it will be better then the droid 2. The X is very similar to the Droid screen but with the screen being so large, I have zero problems with it in the sunlight.

    4: The droid 1 felt heavy and the droid 2 will be no different.

    With that said, if you really need a physical keyboard, go with the Droid 2. Like everyone will agree on, it's all preference at the end of the day.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions