Official Droid 2 first impressions thread (plus, win a free case!)

md12

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I think this is their way of trying to standardize. This is the same order as on the X. Can't speak for certain on other devices released since the D1, but maybe they're going to actually stick to this setup from now on.

I wish Google would sack up like Microsoft is doing with WP7 and make hardware manufacturers adhere to certain standardizations like buttons, button order, etc.

Maybe they will, but one way to determine the best order is to let manufacturers try a couple options and figure out what consumers like the best. Nothing like trial and error.

ferniesp

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
You Guys are killing me... I have the X and im thinking about returning it for this...Am I nuts?

Yes you are. Once you return the X, I can gurantee that you will be kicking yourself. The Droid 2 is a good phone, maybe even a great phone. If you are coming from or ever used a droid 1, you wouldn't be changing. If you are bored, I can see why you would swap it.

NaiRo

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I went to Three Verizon Stores here in Northeast Ohio and played with 6 D2s.. The Notification Bar would open ALOT when not prompted, When scrolling between home screens it had a very slow lag. One of the phones I played with had problems with deleteing widgets? I loaded the messaging widget to the home screen then tried to delete and was unable to delete.. It would lockup and then the Notification Bar would pop up?. I was Really Disappointed in the D2 cause I waited months for it to drop?.Any one having problems ?

karnovaran

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
For the love of God, why can't they standardize on a button order? I can understand the different vendors moving stuff around but both Droid and Droid 2 are Motorola devices.

Droid - Back, Menu, Home, Search
Droid 2 - Menu, Home, Back, Search

Is it too much to ask?

Other than that, it's a really nice looking phone. I'm not ready to toss my original Droid, I'm still happily trapped for another year and a half but I'm a bit jealous of the physical keypad. I'm not fond of the keypad on my Droid. Removing the D-pad was a great move.
The D2 now has a search and back button on the keyboard, but no menu button. So considering that, it makes sense to put the back and search soft keys further away and the menu soft key closest to the keyboard.

Eagerly awaiting the FedEx truck over here...

ferniesp

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I didn't have time to check this when I had the chance so anyone, please let me know. Is the e-mail font customizable? You know, bigger fonts.

mzazthang

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
:cool: im sooo xcted! love love the droid 2! had the x....toooo big for me!~ im soooooooooo happy to be rid of the blackberry! DROID 2 rules!!!

go cowboys! the phone is even the right color! haha

md12

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
:cool: im sooo xcted! love love the droid 2! had the x....toooo big for me!~ im soooooooooo happy to be rid of the blackberry! DROID 2 rules!!!

go cowboys! the phone is even the right color! haha

I knew there was something I didn't like about the color, I'm a skins fan!

karnovaran

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
So far: awesome.

Speed: It's very zippy, though there's definitely too much bloatware. I'm sure we'll be able to remedy that soon enough.

Build: The blue & silver coloring is not nearly as striking as it appears on the Verizon website. In fact it practically looks black. The keyboard is fantastic.. so much roomier than the original and the buttons have a enough of a raise to feel separated.

Speaker: as loud as the original Droid, imo. This was a big concern for me coming from the Nexus' terrible speaker.

I've been happy with my Nexus but really want a keyboard. I tried the Droid back in March but sent it back when it wasn't zippy enough (yes, I rooted and OCed but I think the RAM was the problem). Not positive yet, but I think the D2 will be a keeper this time..

froyoYum

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't like the looks of the new droid mostly the color scheme, though one of the members said it isn't as blue as it appears it is almost black. I think that if i saw it in person it would be a little bit better, but I just can't see myself switching from my X to this phone. I don't know if the appereance is just a turn off or if its the fact that I feel the X has a great screen size. Overall I think the Droid 2 is a good phone, just not for me right now. Although I would really like an R2D2 edition Droid 2( along with my X of course ). :p

garychan

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Multitouch bug?

I went to Three Verizon Stores here in Northeast Ohio and played with 6 D2s.. The Notification Bar would open ALOT when not prompted, When scrolling between home screens it had a very slow lag. One of the phones I played with had problems with deleteing widgets? I loaded the messaging widget to the home screen then tried to delete and was unable to delete.. It would lockup and then the Notification Bar would pop up?. I was Really Disappointed in the D2 cause I waited months for it to drop?.Any one having problems ?

I had the same problem when trying out two Droid 2's at the Verizon Store in the Burlington Mall, MA.

I installed the Multitouch Visible Test app and the blue and red dots were jumping all over the screen.

karnovaran

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Just tried Multitouch Visible Test and MultiTouch Visualizer 2. Both worked absolutely fine. I wouldn't base anything on an in-store display unit.

SadieR1220

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
In Love...

I just traded my X in for this amazing phone& I an soooo glad I did. The sheer size of the X was my biggest issue. I've got very small hands & had a hard time holding & typing. Also, I dreadfully missed the keyboard. So happy I exchanged it!!!!! :)

alrmw

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
just replaced my old storm 1 for this beast of a phone. So far I love it and the keyboard has been the biggest thing to me. I feel its very easy to type on and has great feedback. Over all a much bigger suprise to me than I expected.

johntkong

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I just traded my X in for this amazing phone& I an soooo glad I did. The sheer size of the X was my biggest issue. I've got very small hands & had a hard time holding & typing. Also, I dreadfully missed the keyboard. So happy I exchanged it!!!!! :)

Is your D2 showing any signs of lag? My Dx would lag now and then when I had it. I'm waiting for my D2 to arrive!!

storm6610

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Got rid of the DX for the D2...can say I am happy as well.. DX great phone, too big for my liking. I missed the physical keyboard as well.

The most frustrating part of the DX IMO is that when you have swype on, and turn it to landscape mode you really can't "swype" too well, or I couldn't.

On this phone, I have portrait swype, and landscape keyboard..Love that.

karnovaran

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
When closed, I notice the top piece (screen) is not quite flush against the bottom piece (keyboard) on the side with the usb port. There's a tiny, tiny gap (<1mm) when compared to the camera/volume key side. Is this the same for anyone else?