Any news on a D2 root yet?

sgtmack

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
So, it's been a couple of days, and I haven't heard any rumors about getting the D2 rooted. I am trying to decide between the D2 and the Inc. I wasn't terribly impressed by the screen on the Incredible. But I won't get a D2 until/if I can root it.

Anyone have any gossip or guesses to share? The X didn't take long to root, but they may have fixed that avenue in the D2. I'm not planning on a bootloader hack, but tethering and bloat removal are a must.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Just type tether in the market and you will see wireless tether for root users. That's the one I had though rarely used saw no point in using it with my data speeds. But its a good one

sgtmack

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, I get to answer my own post. The D2 is rooted. And we have a ROM for it. I would expect more choices in the coming days. This is very good news.
My wife is looking for a new phone, and wants a keyboard. But she likes the look of our sons D1 with a custom ROM. So, now that it has root, I can let her get a D2. So she will be happy, which will make me happy.

Life is good again.:cool:

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I've been watching the D2 root forum at XDA Developers, and while I see the root process I still haven't seen a recovery process. I'd like to root the phone and delete the bloatware, run wireless tether, etc, but I don't want to put myself out when it comes to getting OTA updates. Has anyone seen a foolproof way to get back to it's non-rooted state with all of the apps and other stuff back on it in case there are compatibility problems? I've heard mentions of SBF recovery, but since I'm an Android newbie I'm not sure what that means.

beloved1228

Jan 19, 2010
www.facebook.com
Rooted

Hey guys I rooted my D2 using XDA's steps. It took me a second to figure it out but as soon as i read through the whole this I got it. you pretty much download two files put one into the other, open command prompt and copy and past a list of codes. not to hard and it gives you root to use Wireless Teether.

again it was pretty easy

Jonathon

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Back up ask your apps prior to doing anything. Bootstrap is nice but useless if you can't not into android

Not to be rude, but I spent a couple of days digging around and trying to make sense of your comment and can't. Can you clarify a few points?

I know that I can root. I'm sure that once I do I can delete the bloatware and run a wireless tether. But what should I use to make the backups and what would the restore process be? As to the bootstrap comment, you've lost me. I know what "bootstrap" means in the context of computers, but I have no idea why it would be useless if I'm "not into Android" (which I clearly am).

I'm not interested in running custom ROMs (which I hear you can't yet anyway), but the bloatware and tethering I am interested in.

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
IMO, the ROMs available at the moment aren't worth the trouble. Bootstrapping is just a method to get into recovery to flash a ROM, or run a backup or another functional ROM in case you find yourself in the unenviable position of a boot loop. If you have root, and you want to remove unwanted applications, then simply download a terminal application from the market. I suggest Terminal Emulator. It's free and gets the job done. Then open up the emulator and type

Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cd /system/app
mv nameofapp.apk nameofapp.bak
mv nameofapp.apk nameofapp.bak
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
exit
exit

after each line, hit the enter key to execute.

Of course, you replace "nameofapp" with the actual app name. Like typing Skype_mobile.live will change the name of Skype. You could use the rm command(rm Skype_mobile.live) to remove it altogether, but I would just use mv to be on the safe side so there are no complications if another over the air update becomes available. This method insures you won't have to worry about it appearing in your app tray, or having it run in the background(not that I think it does anyway)To see a list of all the application names, after typing cd /system/app [enter] then type ls [enter]. That will give you a list of all the applications. For example, the amazon app is amazonmp3_1.7.22_signed_zipaligned.apk.

I hope that helps. I would advise against messing with any of the Motorola apps, that includes backup assistant. Kindle, City ID, Blockbuster, Need For Speed, My Verizon, or the 3G hotspot app are all fair game.