Got my first Android phone, have a question about the music library

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone! After about 4 years of using Blackberry phones, I've made the jump to Android. So I have a Droid 2 (for now...still thinking I want the Droid X) I spent most of yesterday playing around with it and getting the feel for the OS. I honestly can't believe what I've been missing out on. What Android has over BB is impressive, to say the least.

Ok so I've searched and found answers to most of the questions I originally had, such as what folders to create to use custom ringtones and message tones and all that good stuff. So that's all squared away. I am having a bit of an issue with my music library though, that I hope someone can help me with. Since I've used my phone as my primary mp3 player in the past, I've kept my iTunes library on the phone using the BB Media Sync software. I would browse the music on the BB EXACTLY as it appeared in my iTunes library.

The first program I used was called DoubleTwist, to attempt to sync my iTunes library to the Droid 2. That didn't work out too well because even though my iTunes music isn't on the same harddrive as the rest of my stuff..DoubleTwist ended up transferring ALL music on my computer to the device (even though I specified iTunes playlists only). Next I downloaded the Motorola Media Link software. I had better results, but this is where my issue lies.

For the most part, when I open the music player on the phone and browse my library, there are a lot of songs that are no longer categorized properly. I'll be specific...I ripped a Journey compilation 2 CD set to iTunes a while back. So when I browse the artist "Journey" on iTunes AND on previous BB devices, it would come up with 2 albums. Discs 1 and 2 respectively. However with the same library synced to my Droid 2, when I look up the artist "Journey" it lists approximately 13 different albums.

What I finally did, was to format the SD card. This time I browsed the card when I plugged the phone in, and manually dragged and dropped my iTunes library onto the card. When it was finished scanning, I ended up with the exact same results as before. There are a couple albums that are also now listed under "Unknown Artist" Again, this wasn't the case in iTunes OR any other BB device I've used.

Sorry for my excessively long first post, but I felt I should be as specific as possible. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to correct this? Thanks!

P.S. If I connect the phone so I can browse the media card, or use the file app on the phone, the music library on the SD card will appear normal (as it appears in iTunes). Under the folder "Journey" there is only 2 sub folders. (Disc 1 and 2)

j7469

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Just last night I synced my wife's music with her Droid 2 using double twist. We didn't have an issue syncing just specific iTunes playlists by just selecting only the playlists we wanted to transfer and NOT selecting all music.

You stated that you choose to sync only iTunes playlists but did you click the select playlists and then choose which playlists you wanted?

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I actually figured out what was going wrong. When I took a good deep look into the file properties themselves, I found that the "tag" I guess its called, was exactly what the os was looking at. I went in and chenged the file properties on the affected music and reloaded it to the sd card. All is well now.