1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Between 3 Devices

I guess I will post this question only in this thread for now. I really could use your help. I am looking at the Droid 2, Droid X and Incredible.Your thoughts please?

I am in the same boat. I went to the VZW store to check them out last weekend. The X is really big. The screens on the Inc's were less than I expected. But I liked the Sense UI. And the D2 is a little thick becasue of the keyboard. But is was fast, and easy to use.
    So for me, if I can find an Inc with a crisp screen, I'll go with it. If not, I'll wait until the D2 gets rooted, or go with the X if it doesn't. Or wait for the Fascinate, and check it out.

Hmm. I guess I'm still not any closer than I was. Let em know what you decide. It might help me figure out what I want.

ROM
    CM7

I own an incredible and here is my take on it:

Dinc has the best form factor of the three.
    Sense UI (a big selling point for me) I love the friendstream and HTC clock widgets
    Camera 8MP (soon to be 720p recording like the X)
    bad battery life (lucky to make a full day)

My roommate went with the DX and loves it. It has a better battery life than my Dinc.
    It shoots beautiful 720p videos
    He admits he would rather have HTC Sense on it.
    And its size is a bit obtrusive in the pocket.(price you pay for screen real estate)

As far as the droid 2 it comes with froyo already installed. (but both the Dinc and DX will get it)
    it has to come down to the slide out qwerty keyboard (not my style) but it is important to some. If the physical keyboard isnt important to you i would chosse either the Dinc or DX. They're all really fast and powerful phones soo its hard to go wrong .

ROM
    None

Ok, well first, I would disregard software differences, because as long as your phone can access the Android Market, and LauncherPro then you're fine.

Droid Incredible - Great form factor, optical mouse is very handy. Battery life is subpar, display is a bit oversaturated, but looks really nice overall. Nice 8mp shooter. not ideal for gaming due to its slow GPU-which is irrelevant if you're not really into gaming. The phone is very fast otherwise. Only has 3 LEDs for some reason(green, amber, red). Other Android devices usually have 7. Fully hackable, rootable, flashable, etc... If you're into that type of thing.

Droid X - large screen, great battery life, 720p video recording capabilities, takes nice pics. Has a GPU that can keep up with today's latest games and emulators. Definitely rootable, semi hackable, flashing alternate ROMs is sorta possible via workaround (someone correct me if I'm wrong) Has "Unicorn like" availability at the moment. So if you want to get a phone today, then you may be out of luck.

Droid 2 - Very nice keyboard which gives it a good combination of form and function. has the same internals as the DX, great battery life, shoots good video, but probably has the worst cam for pics out of the 3-not that its bad, just not as good as the DX or DINC, and it doesn't have a FM radio, or an option for TV output like the other 2. Has no hacks at the moment, however, the phone is already very fast, and runs 2.2 out the box. Its the only Android device that can boast such a feature thus far.

Other notes worth mentioning-
    This hasn't even reached rumor status yet, but don't be surprised if the D2 gets access to 720p video recording whether it be via 3rd party hack, or an official OTA upgrade from Verizon themselves, after all, it runs the SAME EXACT hardware as the the DX.

The Droid Incredible runs HTC Sense UI. It looks very nice, but often runs into compatibility snags with market applications. I can't count how many negative comments I read on the market everyday about how "such and such" app keeps force closing on my EVO/Incredible/Desire/Hero/Eris. Then again, this all goes back to its "hackability" so you're not just stuck with the manufacturers firmware like the DX or D2. It would probably be my choice of phone if I could get over the battery life.
    Back to Big Red. Sprint was tooooo slow
    Click my Twitter | Galaxy Note 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bushido Brown View Post
    This hasn't even reached rumor status yet, but don't be surprised if the D2 gets access to 720p video recording whether it be via 3rd party hack, or an official OTA upgrade from Verizon themselves, after all, it runs the SAME EXACT hardware as the the DX.
    Err...not exactly the same. The camera is different, and probably the sensor as well, and that would make all the difference. So while it may be possible I wouldn't be on it. Don't buy a phone for what it "might" be able to do in the future, but it for what it can do today.

So here's my decision flowchart:

Do you need a physical keyboard?
    Yes - Do you want something thoroughly hackable?
    Yes - Get a Droid 1
    No - Get a Droid 2
    No - Do you favor:
    A bigger screen and richer multimedia - Droid X
    Something that is easier to fit in your pocket - Droid Incredible
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I thank you all for the detailed feedback. It has been awesome.

Just so you know rooting is not that important to me and I can live with or without a physical keyboard.

As some requested I will let you know which and bought and why.

ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Kmcferrin View Post
    Err...not exactly the same. The camera is different, and probably the sensor...
    Whether they actually are different, which I'm gonna jump out of a window and assume neither of us know for sure, is irrelevant. My reference to the hardware portions were concerning the CPU and GPU, which are the tools responsible for producing high resolution video. Not the sensor. The N1 was hacked, the Incredible got an update, so it wouldn't be unprecedented for the D2 to get the same treatment since the hardware (CPU and GPU) are obviously capable.

To actually contribute something useful to the topic however,
    I'd like to add that none of the phones really have a distinct advantage in the camera department IMO. I don't know how much of a factor that is, but you could always hit YouTube and search for some video samples. The guys on this site put the cameras of all 3 devices through their paces. So that would be a good starting point.
    Last edited by Bushido Brown; 08-17-2010 at 09:43 PM.
    Back to Big Red. Sprint was tooooo slow
    Click my Twitter | Galaxy Note 2

I have owned all 3 of the phones in question and for me, I kept the D2 and the DX. I sent the Incredible back for a couple of reasons, 1. poor battery life, 2. Much worse reception than either of the Motorola phones. I wanted to like the Incredible and did except for the listed reasons. I love the X but a little too large for me as a everyday carry so I use it mostly for browsing. The D2 is my everyday all day carry.IMHO