I think there is a bad batch of Droid 2s out there.

flylikeag6

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Edit: disclaimer - obviously I don't know for a fact that there is a defective production run of droid 2s. This is my hypothesis. The point is there are a lot of droid 2s with very similar issues and then many with no issues.

Now that the Droid 2 has been out for a good few days, it seems like people are starting to draw conclusions about the phone. Some love it, some are so-so about it. There have been reports about reception issues ("antennagate pt 2"??) and poor battery life (see engadget's review), as well as contrary reports from Motorola and Verizon and Droid fans who insist its Apple fanboys stirring up rumors as revenge.

Well, I'm here to say that there is likely actually a bad batch of Droid 2s out there. I got my first one four days ago. It died after about three to four hours after the first full charge, with max battery savings. It also had fluctuating reception and erratic 3g connectivity. Per the advice of some forum goers, I did keep using it to try and 'condition' the battery. It did improve significantly over repeated charges, to about 8 hrs on a charge, but it would still die before day's end, and the reception was still bad. I did everything.. *228, resets, battery pulls.

Today I got a replacement Droid 2, and out of the box, without charging, it is already performing well enough that I can tell a significant difference from my last one. I've had it on for about 4 hours now with moderate usage and max brightness. The battery has only gone down from the 70 pct charge it came with to 50 presently, and I am typing this message on it right now. The reception is stellar. Day 2 update edit: today already gone 5 hrs with only 20 pct drop in battery, moderate usage.

Since my experience with my first unit has been corroborated by other forum users and blogs, I'm guessing that there is a defective batch of Droid 2s out there with battery issues and reception issues. What exactly is causing it I'm not sure. But I wanted to share my experiences and give a warning to anyone thinking about this device.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Not for nothing, but it is impossible for you to authoritatively state that there is a bad batch of Droid 2 handsets out there based on your anecdotal experience. You may have just gotten a defective unit, that happens sometimes. Having a single defective handset doesn't mean that there's an entire run of them, even if a handful of other people also seem to have defective units.

This is a thread with a seriously misleading title.

flylikeag6

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Not for nothing, but it is impossible for you to authoritatively state that there is a bad batch of Droid 2 handsets out there based on your anecdotal experience. You may have just gotten a defective unit, that happens sometimes. Having a single defective handset doesn't mean that there's an entire run of them, even if a handful of other people also seem to have defective units.

This is a thread with a seriously misleading title.

If you actually read the post you'd note my use of qualifying language and the way I explain my reasoning. By the way, its not a 'handful' of other people, it's a lot. Yeah the title's bold, but in the post I did explain that this is a guess based on my experiences and the high number of people reporting similar issues. if you're taking issue with the word 'batch' then I apologize, I don't know if it's a production run or not, but the point is there are a lot of droid 2s with highly similar (and very frustrating, I might add) issues and a lot without. Capiche boss?

Last edited:

Tomad9#AC

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Edit: disclaimer - obviously I don't know for a fact that there is a defective production run of droid 2s. This is my hypothesis. The point is there are a lot of droid 2s with very similar issues and then many with no issues.

Now that the Droid 2 has been out for a good few days, it seems like people are starting to draw conclusions about the phone. Some love it, some are so-so about it. There have been reports about reception issues ("antennagate pt 2"??) and poor battery life (see engadget's review), as well as contrary reports from Motorola and Verizon and Droid fans who insist its Apple fanboys stirring up rumors as revenge.

Well, I'm here to say that there is likely actually a bad batch of Droid 2s out there. I got my first one four days ago. It died after about three to four hours after the first full charge, with max battery savings. It also had fluctuating reception and erratic 3g connectivity. Per the advice of some forum goers, I did keep using it to try and 'condition' the battery. It did improve significantly over repeated charges, to about 8 hrs on a charge, but it would still die before day's end, and the reception was still bad. I did everything.. *228, resets, battery pulls.

Today I got a replacement Droid 2, and out of the box, without charging, it is already performing well enough that I can tell a significant difference from my last one. I've had it on for about 4 hours now with moderate usage and max brightness. The battery has only gone down from the 70 pct charge it came with to 50 presently, and I am typing this message on it right now. The reception is stellar. Day 2 update edit: today already gone 5 hrs with only 20 pct drop in battery, moderate usage.

Since my experience with my first unit has been corroborated by other forum users and blogs, I'm guessing that there is a defective batch of Droid 2s out there with battery issues and reception issues. What exactly is causing it I'm not sure. But I wanted to share my experiences and give a warning to anyone thinking about this device.

Do you know the build date of the "bad phone" and the "good phone"?

Helo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Very misleading thread title.
Probably should change it or the thread should be wacked.
It is just as likely to have a small percentage of just bad phones but out of millions produced, that would still be a fairly sizable number.
I got my D2 on the release date and have only had some minor annoyances with it but overall the phone is amazing.

Tomad9#AC

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Very misleading thread title.
Probably should change it or the thread should be wacked.
It is just as likely to have a small percentage of just bad phones but out of millions produced, that would still be a fairly sizable number.
I got my D2 on the release date and have only had some minor annoyances with it but overall the phone is amazing.

What kind of annoyances. I find it takes a while for the keyboard and soft keys to illuminate after I 1st turn it on after charging it. Also, I bought a holster for it and after having it on my hip (horizontal), sometimes it will take a bit to go from landscape to portrait. On a side note, I came from the Tour where blackberry is a madness and I was courious to see what level of madness people have here. Lol. Thanks for the feedback.

Helo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
What kind of annoyances.
- Took me a bit to get Wifi working until i realized I needed to use AES instead of TKIP encryption.
- Adobe Flash keeps wanting to update but then can't find the download package.
- The inclusion of apps like Blockbuster that I cannot remove.
- Lower battery life than I was expecting
- Shared notifications

Those off the top of my head. The phone is great though and the positives far outweigh the negatives. My friend has the D1 and this phone is clearly superior is almost every way.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000