Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chrstdvd
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Post [HOW TO] Root the Droid 2 without a computer

- How to Root the Droid2 Without a Computer -

After many failed attempts at Rooting the Droid2 using several different machines, Windows and Mac alike, I had all but given up. Frustrated, I wished there was a way to root my Android without need of a computer. Looking over the lines of code on XDA, I managed to get it to work using the very device I was trying to hack.

FIRST OFF, I am not responsible for any modifications you make to your device. There is a chance that you will mess your device up if you aren't careful. There is also a chance that rooting your device will void your warranty. If something happens to your device, it's not my fault.

Now that we have that cleared up, we can get started.

REQUIREMENTS:
    • USB Debugging must be enabled for this to work. I know we're not going to be using a computer, but one of the files we are dealing with checks for the availability of USB Debugging, and it is picky about it as well. Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging; just make sure it's checked. You don't have to worry about it afterwards.
    • A file that contains the payload for rooting the device. I have provided a Megaupload mirror if you prefer.
    • Astro File Manager, and AndroZip if you can't get Astro to UnRar the payload.
    • A Terminal emulator program. There are some in the Android Market, just do a search. I have tested with Better Terminal Emulator Pro and Android Terminal Emulator.

I must stress at this point that you must adhere to the following instructions as closely as possible, since you really can cause damage to your device if you aren't careful. So please, pay attention and follow my lead. If you have all of the ingredients listed above, then we can begin cooking.

1. Open Astro File Manager, and navigate to the Droid2Root.rar file you downloaded. Hold your finger over the name of the file until a popup menu appears. Select "Extract," and extract it to the root of your SDCard. All the files go to the highest level of the SDCard. Make sure you can see the files as well, just to make sure they are there.
    2. Open your terminal emulator application, and input the following commands:
      • cd /tmp
      • cp /sdcard/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /tmp/
      • chmod 777 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
      • ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    3. Ignore the text that this last command spits out. This .bin file wasn't designed with the intent of running from the device it is hacking. Once you are returned to the $ symbol, kill the terminal by going to 'Settings > Applications > Manage applications > Running' and select the process for your terminal program. End the process. Now open it back up, and you should have a # symbol.
      • mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
      • cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
      • cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
      • cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
      • chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
      • chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
      • mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
      • exit (exits the terminal)
    4. Now yank your battery out, wait a few seconds, put it back in, and hold your power button to boot back up. Try out some root-only apps like drocap2, Titanium Backup, etc, and see if it worked!
    Last edited by Azothyran; 10-15-2010 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Fixed broken link to XDA forum. Replaced with one more reliable.
    Thanked by 3:

ROM
    None

Good tutorial.
    Back to Big Red. Sprint was tooooo slow
    Click my Twitter | Galaxy Note 2

So am I suppose to do this all on my phone or what? I never see anything that says either way it I get "not supported by your phone" on the first link.

Or is "without a computer" misleading?
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,728 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

thats a great tutorial i may have to try it in a few minutes just got my replacment d2 last one was stolen
    edit
    on the rage command i had to wait until it said it forked 465 kids for the command to work.
    Last edited by thebizz; 11-15-2010 at 01:13 PM.
    Loving this Oneplus one!!

Ignore the text that this last command spits out. This .bin file wasn't designed with the intent of running from the device it is hacking. Once you are returned to the $ symbol, kill the terminal by going to 'Settings > Applications > Manage applications > Running' and select the process for your terminal program. End the process. Now open it back up, and you should have a # symbol.

Does any one know if this works on a D2G? I attempted to follow another guide on youtube very similar to this using a pc and I was unable to get the phone to go from $ to # and unable to successful root my phone.

Default Help?

When I try to use this method, it says that it cannot change directory to /tmp...is this my fault or someone else's? LOL

I can't download either file. It says neither one is supported.

Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    ROM
    z4 root running stock ROM

Id hate to say it but this way doesn't work at all...very diappointed that I kept getting error message about file directory doesn't exist. But anyone that wants to root their droid 2 without a computer google search for 'Z4 root' and download it to your phone which is by far the easiest.

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

I put this method into two scripts so you do not have to type these commands in the emulator which generates most of the problems. Also the files that are in the Rar file are included in the download folder. They are in a link in Droid 2 hacks over on Droid Forum.

I can put them on here if anyone wants them. They did not generate much interest over there though.
    Thanked by:
    Shanem0789 likes this.

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: z4root.1.3.0.apk

This is the EASIEST way to root. Worked with my Droid x and Droid 2

Might take more than one try. If it gets stuck do a battery pull and try again.

As far as I know the Z4Root App still works with D2. It worked on the Global.no need for the computer.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vacho View Post
    As far as I know the Z4Root App still works with D2. It worked on the Global.no need for the computer.
    Yeah, Z4 root does work, unless you are running Gingerbread already. You must be running FroYo for it to work.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

ROM
    AOSP by preferance

if you are on gingerbread, just replace the z4root.apk app with gingerbreak.apk and it will work just as smoothly.
    Blackberry Storm 9530 (1 year)>
    Motorola Droid [Rooted] (Froyo 2.2 --> 1Ghz ultra low voltage) (8 months)>
    Motorola Droid X [Rooted] (Fission v2.6.1 --> 1Ghz--> low voltage)(10 months)>
    HTC Droid Eris [Rooted] (CM 7) (risky outdoors device)(current)>
    HTC Droid Incredible [Rooted] (CM 7)[Bad ESN <craigslist scam>](just a tablet now)>
    Motorola Droid 2 [Rooted] (GingerBread v2.3.3 Blur v4.5.153 --> 1Ghz) (Current)[/FONT]

Next device: Samsung Galaxy S II

Default Re: [HOW TO] Root the Droid 2 without a computer

Would this work on a sidekick 4g?

File directory doesn't exist or whatever, on the rage againtst the cage command

I can't get this to work...

Tried the Gingerbreak.apk with no luck.

ok i havent dione this an need a lil help i have droix with android version 2.3.3, do i have to install gingerbread or can i keep tha same system this is just confusin to me.... if anyone can help i would really appreciate it

ROM
    Jelly Bean/ Thors ICS

Android version 2.3 is Gingerbread and this method will NOT work with 2.3. Go into the Droid 3 forum and follow that procedure on how to root, I can confirm it does work with the latest system update.

Neither of thoose links work

This thread is way outdated, try
    ROOT] Framaroot, a one-click application to root
    I have verified it works with these Motorola devices running android 2.3.4
    Droid 2 (a955), Droid 2 Global (a956), R2D2 (a957), & Droid X (MB810)

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk
    [ROOT] Framaroot, a one-click .APK to root
    I have verified it works with these Motorola devices running android 2.3.4
    Droid 2 (a955), Droid 2 Global (a956), R2D2 (a957), & Droid X (MB810)