Droid 2 or X

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I had a D2 and the keyboard on it is really nice, a lot better than the original IMO. Plus the X is slightly too big. I thought the D2 was big enough.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I came from the iphone 3G to the droid2. First few days I wanted to throw the darn thing in the garbage I was so aggrevated. Now I'm getting much more used to it and see its strenghts.

I went with the 2 over the X for the keyboard and size. They also tout the battery life as longer but I'm not sure how true that is. Anyhow, I post on forums a lot and directional keys seemed a must getting around spelling corrections and quoting posts. The X though is too large for me to sit on my belt in a pouch. My boss got the X so I saw how large it is. Plus I wanted a physical keyboard. I found with my past phones I never needed HD camcorder and super res photos anyway, I simply don't use my phone for that and have an HD camcorder for vacations. Don't need hdmi or any other super bells and whistles, I need to communicate quickly and easily through email and online.

So I chose the droid 2 and don't regret it. There are many that switched to the X and swear by it, but it really all depends on what you need most.

Rev.

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Keyboard and stated battery life, though in hindsight I rarely use the keyboard (yay Swype!) and the battery life on the X (based on what friends have said) is more than sufficient for how I use my phone. If my Droid 2 breaks I'm going to see if they'll let me switch.

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been strongly considering ditching it for the Merge, because it looks like it has an even better keyboard. I'm gonna hold out to see how well the battery on that thing performs.

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
A few reasons. First of all I just changed my Verizon plan to one that gives unlimited data on all lines, so I upgraded my BB and my mom's line from a basic phone to the Droid 2.

The keyboard for me will just be an option, for her I'm sure it will be easier. Buy 1 get one free for $149.99 instead of paying $199.99 for just 1 phone.

I think the 2 will take some getting use to size wise, not interested in something huge like an X or an Evo type phone. I wish the 2 had HDMI & the 8MP camera, but I'm sure I'll manage for about 15 months or so with it.

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I had the X. It was just too big I guess. It's longer than the Evo so it will be in 16:9 aspec ratio for videos but so is the 2 so view videos is nice but the 2 will be a little but sharper since they both have the same amount of pixels. The 2 is a lot more pocketable. Sure micro HDMI and an 8MP camera is nice, but using that huge camera kills the battery. And battery on the Droid 2 is awesome. I get through a whole day on mine.

The performance is the exact same on both device when looking at NeoCore and Quaddrant. So it really matters if you want the size of the X or the Keyboard and pocketability of the.

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
2 for 1 deal on Droid 2, the other user being my mother I wanted it to have a real keyboard for her. Maybe she'll use the on screen one after a while but at first I want her to have options.

I prefer the 2 size, it's going to be the biggest phone I've ever had as it is. I hope to get use to the keyboard, I just never have liked sides sliders. We'll see.

I do wish I had the HDMI out & the better camera though, but that's trivial.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I would have purchased the DX over the D2 had it been available. I checked one out at the store and it didn't feel as big in my hands as I thought it would. I was able to easily type on the DX keyboard, and I keep wondering if I'm missing anything by not having the larger screen. The HDMI output means nothing to me.

I do like having more room for typing on the D2 when the keyboard is out, that's especially nice when typing a word document or using the terminal emulator.

Last edited:

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
It's all up to if you want the bigger screen or a physical keyboard the rest is trivial your going to get the same software in both

geokingblys

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site

i just left the palm pre plus after 3 months due to the lack of features and the laughable app market... The droid 2 was the phone me and my fiance switched to more for the monitary reasons over anything else. Verizon would not give me the BOGO deal since I was already 3 months into contract but I got them to give me the 250 with the 100 mail in rebate on both phones. After using both phones I can honestly say that anything you do from watching movies to browsing will be almost identical after a little bit of use. Your eyes adjust accordingly and you pretty much don't realize how large the screen is once you are summersed. IMHO.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting the Droid 2, but I'm worried about battery life. Coming from a BB Bold, what can I expect as far as battery life? The specs indicate 9.5 hours of talk time. That's seems to be a lot.

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
i can give reference to both devices. I own both and switch back and forth almost daily . Yes, i know, I'm far to obsessed. But they are both great devices and whatever one you decide upon i can say will make you happy. The Droid X does seem a bit faster as if motorolas tweaks were designed for the X and then just ported over to the D2 with less attention to detail. But the Droid 2 does have a keyboard, more comfortable size and just feels better in the hand. Not to mention Fission is designed for the D2 then ported over to the DX. But the DX has its advantages also, its motorolas flagship, It has slightly better hardware in some areas like camera and FM radio functionality (this is also available on the D2 in a sketchy manor) and the developer community is much larger for the DX. Most of the OG Droid devs jumped to the DX and not the D2. So it really depends on what you want most out of your device. Battery life is slightly better on the Droid X in my experience, but the extended battery for the D2 adds almost no size and comes with 37% more battery life. Not to mention both devices can be underclocked/undervolted to reach nearly 48 hours on a single charge with usage. so in general both are A+ devices.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I just got my D2 and im loving it. The keyboard is really good. And this coming from a BlackBerry fan. The battery gets through a work day and then some. So far I haven't seen any major problems yet.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Just ordered the D2 Global, I had the DX and while the extra screen is great I found it a bit bulky for my needs. Great screen size for the onscreen keyboard, but a newer physical kb on the D2G, increased processor and I don't mind the 3.7" display (had a DInc.)

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Just ordered the D2 Global, I had the DX and while the extra screen is great I found it a bit bulky for my needs. Great screen size for the onscreen keyboard, but a newer physical kb on the D2G, increased processor and I don't mind the 3.7" display (had a DInc.)

I wonder if the new processor of the Global will make a big difference?

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if the new processor of the Global will make a big difference?

Big? Not by any means. Sure it will have an extra edge, but the 200mhz increase certainly won't be a dramatic change. I haven't even used anything on my phone yet that would likely benefit from a bit of speed boost. Maybe... maaaybe Google Earth. It works fine on my phone but I guess could be a pinch more fluid. Other than that though I've never had any personal slow downs or issues with the speed. I'm just waiting for the day they bring dual core processors to phones. But again, personally I don't know when the heck I'd ever need it. Not like I'd be playing full on 3D games on my phone nor doing graphic rendering, music writing, or anything else that really needs all the power you can provide.

Rev.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Big? Not by any means. Sure it will have an extra edge, but the 200mhz increase certainly won't be a dramatic change. I haven't even used anything on my phone yet that would likely benefit from a bit of speed boost. Maybe... maaaybe Google Earth. It works fine on my phone but I guess could be a pinch more fluid. Other than that though I've never had any personal slow downs or issues with the speed. I'm just waiting for the day they bring dual core processors to phones. But again, personally I don't know when the heck I'd ever need it. Not like I'd be playing full on 3D games on my phone nor doing graphic rendering, music writing, or anything else that really needs all the power you can provide.

Rev.

I agree. My phone runs just fine. I was wondering if I should take my phone back to get the Global, but of don't think that I will. I heard that the battery life is a little shorter than the regular Droid 2.