Just got the Droid 2 Global

lacie123401

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hello guys, I just gotten Droid 2 global! loving it so far,
A quick question, do any of you guys hear your own voice in the earpiece a bit when you are talking on the phone?
My other phones didn't do that, but I seem to be hearing my voice,(not an echo)

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
YES!!! My Droid 2 does this and at first it drove me nuts coming from the iPhone which didn't do this. I searched online but found nothing about it. I wish I could turn it off but in all honesty I just got used to it so it's not so bad. If anyone knows a way though please do share. I don't know why I'd need to hear my voice passed to the earpiece. Again, not a huge deal though once you get used to it.

Rev.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Does this happen to all the Droid 2 owners?

Well yeah, that's what the phone does, it passes your voice through to your own ear. So it will be the same on all D2's. It's not a defect per se, it's how they designed it. I however would like to be able to shut it off. As I've said though a few times already, I've pretty much gotten used to it already anyway.

Rev.

DERacing

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
Well yeah, that's what the phone does, it passes your voice through to your own ear. So it will be the same on all D2's. It's not a defect per se, it's how they designed it. I however would like to be able to shut it off. As I've said though a few times already, I've pretty much gotten used to it already anyway.

Rev.

No, it doesnt. ;) I have a Droid 2 and do not have this problem at all.

I did have something similiar to this happen with my Blackberry 8330 at times... Normally, a reboot would resolve the issue. One thing you guys might try is the *228 Option 1, then *228 option 2. I know it doesnt make sense, but it did fix the BB8330 at times to do this. I think it has something to do with the way the towers send out the signal with the duplexed signal.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
No, it doesnt. ;) I have a Droid 2 and do not have this problem at all.

Uh, yes it does. You do have the same issue we're talking about because it's a function of the phone's design. If you don't hear it it's because you're used to it. I tried your *228 suggestions but they didn't do anything.

Rev.

nmanley

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's called Side Tone and is common in all aviation communications. It is to let you know what your actually hearing and is being transmitted. Not sure why it's on this Motorola Cell phone but it may be because of an engineer that did the design of that portion of the phone.

geekinthehood

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I think what the original poster is referring to is different from Side Tone. I'm familiar with hearing my own voice back in my ear as a comfortable reassurance that the connection is still alive.

What throws me off is when I hear little bits and pieces of what I'm saying, delayed, and amplified louder than Side Tone. That happens sometimes on my EVO, and it's incredibly annoying. Because of the delay, I'm thinking it isn't an issue with my phone, but with my provider. (Sprint) It feels like they're occasionally sending what I say both to the person I'm talking to AND back to me.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I think what the original poster is referring to is different from Side Tone.

Nah, I think he's referring exactly to side tone. For example, there isn't any delay whatsoever to it, I don't have any and he said himself there's no delay, it's just a loud pass through of one's voice and surrounding noise to the earpiece.

Rev.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't hear my voice or any type of delay with voice on my D2.

That doesn't mean its not there, it is because they all do this. I have two coworkers at work with D2's and they both also do this just like my phone. You simply are used to it, but regardless it is still there. And there's no delay its just hearing your voice in the earpiece.

Rev.

studiorat

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
I have the Droid Incredible and my device is Horrendous.... the side-tone is so excessive I cant use the thing 5 trips and exchanges to VZW all the techs say the same thing "they cant duplicate the issue"... so that means their hearing is toasted or they are used to it, if it wasn't an issue people would not be posting, so even though I am an Incredible user doesn't mean I don't belong in this forum we have the same issue and that's relevant topic...now is there a fix available perhaps in the firmware or does this fall on the design of these devices?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I got mine on Monday and don't hear voices in my head either, oh wait, in the ear piece. Not sure why but mine is working as any phone has. Now I do wear very small hearing aids so that could be the reason . . . or not.