Can't cover my Droid 2

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I went to the Verizon store today to look for a hard case to protect my Droid 2 but I couldn't do it. The phone itself looks so beautiful and sleek, I couldn't mask it with an ugly skin or hard case. I couldn't even tolerate the screen protector. I like my phone naked. Besides, I have insurance through Best Buy. If it gets damaged, I will get a replacement. Anyone rocking their Droid 2 naked?

cheeta186

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
i'm def. in the same boat as you, I simply cant get myself to actually put a case on it, but I am that way with all my hand held devices.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Me as well, no need whatsoever for a case. Why? I don't have reception problems (nyuck nyuck - iphone stab lol). Seriously though, why bother? I had an iPhone for 2 years with no protective shell, never even dropped it on the floor to be honest, I'm more careful apparently. I never had cases with my older phones either. And for the D2 there's no need for a screen protector cause it has gorilla glass. I have a Cowon S9 MP3 player with gorilla glass, for about 2 years as well I think, and it's perfect like from the factory with a simple cloth cleaning. Why muck it up with a plastic film? The only thing I wish the D2 had is the iPhone 4's anti-fingerprint coating. My D2 fingerprints like crazy! Not too big a deal but it would be nice for it not to. I looked at the add on films for anti-fingerprints and the most popular one is reviewed by many to dull the screen and blur it a tad. Not something I'm willing to deal with.

Rev.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I didn't know the D2 was made of gorilla glass. That's good to know.

Yep, it and the Droid X. It really ticks me off that Motorola and other brands don't advertise this because it makes Apple look like they have an advantage since they tout it in all their marketing material. I don't blame Apple cause it's a good thing to market and it's something appealing to those iPhone users that have broke a screen in the past. But I don't get why these other companies don't match them with, "Yeah our phones are made with Gorilla Glass and have been for a long time. We're not just starting to use it like some other brands 'cough Apple 'cough'"

Seriously though, to the average consumer it would look like Apple has a more resilient product compared to competitors when it's not actually the case. Oh well.

Rev.

Reactions: dwaynewilliams#WN

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I was holding-out for a Merge, but I have to agree that this phone feels really well built (to be fair I never got to hold a Merge to compare, I don't think many have). And no bing! :)

I didn't remember reading about the Gorilla Glass, but that's absolutely awesome. I think marketing should deffo advertise that. It would be an easy check in a phone's favor.

I'm considering a case, but for now it looks and feels so good, I don't know.

+1 (or really -1) for the fingerprint-situation. Too bad about that. I keep buffing the screen on my sleeve. :)

Just having some battery issues that I've gone on about in other threads. Really hoping to work that out in a satisfactory way, because the H/W is superb.

-AJ

maxiang

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
No case here either. Moto makes some darn fine hardware (aside from the camera) and I have insurance for a reason :D
The Gorilla glass is pretty important to me, and I was looking for it in whichever device I bought. Don't trust the listing that corning has on their website though, as the CLIQ is listed as having it despite being plastic.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
No case here either. Moto makes some darn fine hardware (aside from the camera) and I have insurance for a reason :D
The Gorilla glass is pretty important to me, and I was looking for it in whichever device I bought. Don't trust the listing that corning has on their website though, as the CLIQ is listed as having it despite being plastic.

That's a good point. I have insurance too through Best Buy. If I break my phone then I get a new one. So why invest in a case that will only add bulk to my phone? It looks amazing the way it is.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Zagg invisibleSHIELD?

I also have the insurance, and agree with you all.

The other option I was considering was the Zagg invisibleShield. The video/demo is pretty compelling on their site. It's supposed to be entirely transparent, but protect from scratches.

With the Gorilla Glass, I'd likely leave the screen-protector part off, but cover the rest of the phone. I saw a site with the "kit" listed at $19.95 and I think you can get 30% off that.

I've never tried their products. Thoughts?

-AJ

darrylmendo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to be the downer of the group...

I bought the D2 the morning it came out and two days later I dropped it outside taking a picture and it landed on blacktop and some pebbles and when I picked it up it was all scratched up and was chipped all over the place. The screen was fine (thank god for gorilla glass) but the silver edge was just totally ruined. And it didn't even fall that hard. Insurance doesn't cover cosmetics so I thought I was just totally screwed but luckily (or unluckily depending on how you look at it) there was even more damage done. There was ONE SINGLE pixel that was red all the time no matter what was on the screen. I know for a fact this dead pixel happened from when I dropped it. I took it back to the verizon store showed them the pixel and they replaced it. Phew! Dodged a bullet Neo style there! But seriously, I do recommend a case because if the worst should happen you do have to live with it because again insurance doesn't cover cosmetic damage.

Because of this I went through pretty much every D2 case out there (and there aren't that many to chose from honestly) but I highly HIGHLY recommend seidio's d2 case.

seidioonline.com

Here is a review I wrote about in the D2 cases forum:

"I finally received the seidio innocase and holster for the d2 and I have to say it is the best case for it. It's sleek, not too thin, not too thick, just perfect. It even has an opening for the noise reduction mic on the back which is something the other cases I've tried doesn't have. It has the soft touch feel so it feels really nice. It fits on the phone very snuggly too. It doesn't feel like it is too tight (like the Verizon case) or too loose (like the rocketfish case from best buy). I feel like if I drop the phone the case will not pop out (although I have not yet dropped it since I've gotten it) I highly recommend.

I also got the holster which is much better than the Verizon one. The phone can actually go in face in or face out and it has a clip to secure the phone in place and you push it up to remove the phone. I like this better than Verizon's holster because you would have to slide it out and it was very cumbersome to do because it is so tight. the clip is strategically placed so you still have access to the headphone jack and power button. It is a little harder to remove from the holster if it is faced out but not really a big deal.

So what are you waiting for? Order it now! Lol. Trust me; you won't regret it :) "

And here is the link to the forum: http://forum.androidcentral.com/droid-2-accessories/29338-droid-2-cases-3.html

Last edited:

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the Zagg covering would help the dead pixel, good work getting the replacement, but it would seem to cover the scratching portion of your incident...but I haven't heard from anyone who actually has experience with the product (on this or any other device) to believe it.

Interesting that the seidio site has a side-leather-holster with "strong magnet closure". Do they realize that triggers the multimedia or car dock every time you put your phone away?

maxiang

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the Zagg covering would help the dead pixel, good work getting the replacement, but it would seem to cover the scratching portion of your incident...but I haven't heard from anyone who actually has experience with the product (on this or any other device) to believe it.

Interesting that the seidio site has a side-leather-holster with "strong magnet closure". Do they realize that triggers the multimedia or car dock every time you put your phone away?
I've put zagg on a few devices. You have to be really careful as it is a wet application, but as long as you don't go crazy with the spray its fine. The full body on my GF's iPod has held up great with no scratches. It will distort screens however.

maxiang

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
The "orange peel" effect that I have to look through to see the screen. It also seems to lessen or slightly change touch screen sensitivity a little to me.

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Ghost Armor > Zagg Shield

Why? Much smoother screen with less texture (makes Swype 10x better!). No yellowing over time. Same application style as Zagg and same Lifetime Warranty.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

maxiang

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Ghost Armor > Zagg Shield

Why? Much smoother screen with less texture (makes Swype 10x better!). No yellowing over time. Same application style as Zagg and same Lifetime Warranty.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
Ah, yes, forgot to mention the discoloration issue as well.
Still going bare though :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze