Backup Assistant vs. Gmail

_alphaBeta_

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm thoroughly confused when it comes to managing contacts on the droid 2. I was coming from an ancient phone, Verizon activated the backup assistant to pull my contacts from my old phone. Fine.

I've decided I want to use Gmail to sync, merge and maintain my contacts from many other sources. My problem is that if I make a new contact from the phone, it's created on both the phone (backup assistant) and Gmail. I'm aware of the screen where you can select where you want new contacts to go. The problem is that the phone (backup assistant) option is greyed out and turned on, so it can't be turned off.

How do you turn this off? Factory reset bypassing the backup assistant setup? Would that do it?

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I would think Verizon has to turn off back up assistant, that it's in the network itself? I turned it on on my Blackberry when they announced it was free. Never worked, I'd wake up with connection errors on my screen about once a week.

_alphaBeta_

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Backup assistant can be disabled without a reset.
This is from a Droid Incredible forum, but it works just the same on the Droid 2, I've done it.

disabling VZW Backup Assistant - Android Forums

Two questions:

1. Does this allow you to deselect the phone option for new contacts so they will only be created in Gmail?

2. I have two backup assistants listed in "manage programs," and neither has the option to "clear data." They both have no data.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Two questions:

1. Does this allow you to deselect the phone option for new contacts so they will only be created in Gmail?
I don't know, I only have my contacts on the phone not in Google contacts or BA.

2. I have two backup assistants listed in "manage programs," and neither has the option to "clear data." They both have no data.

If they don't have any data to clear just make sure you follow the other steps to see if you have disabled it.

_alphaBeta_

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site

I don't know, I only have my contacts on the phone not in Google contacts or BA.

If you wouldn't mind checking one thing for me before I go through this. If you go to your Contacts --> Menu --> More --> Settings: is "Phone Contacts" greyed out for you? Can you deselect it?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1