Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Default customize sms for individual contacts?

is it possible on the Droid 2 to customize texting for individual contacts? I see that you can do it for phone calls, but what about texting? Is there an reputable app that might do this?
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

you cant do it in the stock messaging app, but Handcent SMS is a great free messaging app that allows for customization for individual contacts (among other things)
    Thanked by:
    golabs 

+1 for handcent. That is the only reason I use it over the stock messaging app.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

thank you, I downloaded the Handcent app. There doesn't seem to be any "help" section and I cannot find where you can assign a specific tone to a specific contact. It still appears to only allow either setting a phone call tone by individual contact but not text message. I've gone into the settings in Handcent and into te individual contact I want to customize for text/sms. Any other place I should look?

ROM
    None

Chomp SMS does everything Handcent does, it just looks better doing it. You can't go wrong with either. SMS Popup is a VERY useful app because you specify only certain contacts to show you a popup or not. The rest of its features parallel Chomp and Handcent, like individual LED notifications, sms tone, etc..

With either Chomp or Handcent, you can activate the quick compose feature, and start sending a text to someone just by hitting the microphone button on your hardware keyboard. Pretty handy.
    Back to Big Red. Sprint was tooooo slow
    Click my Twitter | Galaxy Note 2
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

Quote Originally Posted by pjb View Post
    thank you, I downloaded the Handcent app. There doesn't seem to be any "help" section and I cannot find where you can assign a specific tone to a specific contact. It still appears to only allow either setting a phone call tone by individual contact but not text message. I've gone into the settings in Handcent and into te individual contact I want to customize for text/sms. Any other place I should look?
    to assign a tone to a specific contact, you need to first send or receive a message from that person. then open the message thread, press the settings key, and go into notification settings. any settings you customize here will be for that individual contact.

Quote Originally Posted by terpitude71 View Post
    to assign a tone to a specific contact, you need to first send or receive a message from that person. then open the message thread, press the settings key, and go into notification settings. any settings you customize here will be for that individual contact.
    You don't have to receive a message first. You can start composing a message to that contact, save it as a draft, then open it and press the icon in the upper right hand corner.
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    You don't have to receive a message first. You can start composing a message to that contact, save it as a draft, then open it and press the icon in the upper right hand corner.
    this is true as well. just have to create a message thread in some way, shape, or form