[Official] D2 & D2G Battery Life Discussion
10-04-2011 04:22 PM
- This probably true with all smartphones as well as the D2G but the battery life really really depends on the phone's settings and your usage level. I have my backlight all the way down(which isn't bad at all), no email synching, 1 widget running, CDMA network only, and disabled running services im not using. One day ive gone 24+ hours and been at 20-30% battery when i plugged it back in for the night, and another day i've had it last 10 hours max.11-24-2010 09:06 PM
- I have my backlight all the way down(which isn't bad at all), no email synching, 1 widget running, CDMA network only, and disabled running services im not using. One day ive gone 24+ hours and been at 20-30% battery when i plugged it back in for the night, and another day i've had it last 10 hours max.
So while I get your point about tweaking the phone you really need to realize not every Droid owner is a tech, and not every Droid owner can live with having all this stuff turned off if they really rely on it. It's just not acceptable to tell people, "Oh the battery if fine but you have to turn off 80-90% of the features and dim the screen all the way too." I mean come on now :-/
With that said, I thought my D2 battery life was poor in the beginning. Since tweaking it though, since I don't need anything real time except phone calls, it now lasts quite long, actually surprising longer than I ever expected even after use online or playing a game. Also, though I didn't think so originally, I'm thinking the quoted improved battery life in the 2.3.2 update might actually be helping as well.
Rev.11-24-2010 09:55 PM
- Yeah I get what you're saying but I supposed I'm just trying to straighten things out for people cause there are a lot of conflicting results as far as battery life for this phone goes. And I guess you could say i'm babying it but i'm perfectly fine with how its set up and how i use it11-25-2010 11:21 AM
- I am having zero issues with battery life. Can get through a full day with 30% left. Running touchdown, LP, bw, gtalk, gvoice and sometimes twitter, gowalla and wbug.
I have rooted and removed all bloatware, switched to cdma rather than global, only enable wifi when needed and increased all the update intervals for background apps.
Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk11-26-2010 10:20 AM
Does anyone else have any other battery saving tips?11-26-2010 04:37 PM
- 11-26-2010 04:40 PM
- I considered the Extd Battery, but it looks like it adds a lot of bulk to a nicely trim phone. I may still go that route if I can't get the battery life I need out of the stock.
Been messing-around with setCPU and some other settings lately. If I keep all my radios off, I can get a full, 12hr day no problem. But I would prefer to have my WiFi and/or BT on (don't mind leaving GPS off) as well.
Going to look seriously at Tasker (which I will probably buy eventually anyway) to see how it can auto enable/disable my wifi based upon location, but that doesn't solve my BT issue.
AJ11-27-2010 09:00 AM
- I just picked up the D2G yesterday after trying to move over from using BBs for like 10+ years. I do like the phone but the batter life is killing me. I charged it when I first got it and have not installed anything, made two calls at 5minutes or less, and browsed the web for a little while which totaled at probably 10 minutes.
My battery life went from 100% down to <5% in like 5 or 6 hours. I haven't installed anything so i know it's not that. It has just the bloated bs that is on the device from the factory.
The thing is, with the standard battery in my BB Bold with 3 email accounts on it, and about a dozen games and apps being used all day with push / constant update checking for RSS, News, Weather, I never had this issue. The battery would last me more than an 8 hour work day which is what I need.
I wanted to switch to Droid because of what is available and coming out for it plus the Flash player being available but if the battery cannot last more than 8 hours, this is not going to work.
I know that there are extended batteries for it but do not see the point in it since the battery should last that long already out of the box with nothing installed and next to no use.
I did what is suggested by shutting down the "Global" in signal but living 5 miles away from the U.S. - Mexico border, I'm contantly picking up towers over there so it's necessary.
Any ideas?11-28-2010 08:50 AM
- I am in the same boat, new DG2, first android device, really like the phone. But, I am tweaking all the time to preserve the battery life. I do have it lasting all day now, but I really have watch it closely. I would love to be able to use more of the "fun" features without worrying about the drain.
Considering buying an extended battery...how much of an improvement is it?12-01-2010 12:58 AM
- Don't use blur if you want better battery life. Wait more than a day before you make judgments on battery life more like a week. I recently got my droid to were it will make ut through a full days of use running at 1.2. I set my phone to maximum battery saver don't have blur and use the facebook and twitter apps. When I would go to work before I would have to shut my phone down after 6 hours due to it sitting at 30% with almost no use. Now i get home and still have 40-50 percent with the same usage12-01-2010 01:45 AM
- FWIW: Don't know if anyone has seen this (will put a separate post in the forum too), but Motorola has a sale with up-to 60% off batteries and accessories today.
Use Promo Code GIFT4U60 at checkout. I decided I'd try the extended battery, though I'm having somewhat better luck with setCPU lowering my clock when the phone is in my case.12-01-2010 10:45 AM
- You have to root the phone first. (z4root in the market is quick and entirely painless)
Be sure to read all you can here and everywhere else before your root your phone such that you understand all the "risks and responsibility" that goes with it!
Then you can install setCPU from the market and read-up on some of its capabilities.12-01-2010 02:11 PM
(Try autostarts too if there's anything you find starting when you don't want it to...though I can't disable the docking, which is pissing me off.)12-01-2010 02:13 PM
- Well, I've only had my phone for a couple of days...but so far the battery life on my Droid 2 Global is pretty sad. Today, it lasted about 5 hours and then had to be recharged. I'm still working on tweaking the power usage on the phone but I'll probably be grabbing the extended battery before long.12-02-2010 02:24 PM
- I second that you should be able to make it a whole day just make sure everything isn't constantly pulling data like blur (huge battery drain), if you don't need data to be constantly on set it up to stop using data after 15-30 mins of you touching it. I can now make it through a day the global should be able to also12-03-2010 01:00 AM
- My battery has seemed to drain more quickly than it has been. One thing I noticed before my usage stats started to refuse to open was that the android os was using the highest percentage of power which has never happened. It was normally around 2% and now it was 30%. I have looked at my running applications and can't seem to notice anything out of the ordinary. I have only had the phone for about three weeks so i may be missing something. I have also tried turning the phone off and even pulling the battery but I still can't get into the battery usage stats.12-04-2010 09:19 AM
- Hard to say but Juice Defender (which does NOT require you to root) claims somewhere between 1.5x and 2.5x improvement over normal battery life depending on when I look at it during the day (it samples over 48 hours). I'm not sure what % SetCPU helps with but it is SO easy to try it that I suggest you give it a shot. I am running BOTH Juice Defender and SetCPU on my phone.
SetCPU varies the CPU frequency dynamically so obviously less CPU is better. I also have mine set to 300 min/600 max when the screen is off and as battery life drains my max goes lower (at 60% I am at 1000 and at 35% I am at 800). This certainly helps.12-04-2010 05:05 PM
- Motorola Android Phones
- More Motorola Phones
- Verizon Droid Forums
- Motorola Droid 2
[Official] D2 & D2G Battery Life Discussion
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD