D2G bloatware apps--running

ydh2323

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
i just got the D2G (my first droid phone) and love it so far, however verizon packed it with a lot of nonsense ill never use, that still runs and drainis battery and uses my data.
is there a way to permanently kill these apps such as news and weather from running (also see skype running w/o me starting it) from running. from what i read i cant remove them unless im rooted, not there yet, but can i kill thgem from running. is there a way to adjust setting for how often to sync twitter or other programs like this?
thanks,
dave

BrianTX

Jul 23, 2010
plus.google.com
You need to be rooted to disable apps. Never delete any apps that are pre-installed, always disable, or you won't be able to get the system updates. Yes you can adjust refresh times for facebook and twitter, when in the app press the menu button and go into settings.

phantasmah

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
do task managers/ killers work? can you reccomend one?

By most accounts, task killers are neither necessary nor recommended for Android. And for this purpose they are useless anyway, because even if you force-close a pre-installed app, it will eventually open itself again in the background.

BrianTX

Jul 23, 2010
plus.google.com
Stay away from task killers!

I highly recommend using z4 root, it's a free one click root app. I don't think it's available in the market anymore, but you can download it on your computer then just put it on your sd card. Then get titanium backup from the market to backup your phone and then freeze all the bloat. Both apps are free and simple to use. My wife's D2 and my DX have zero lag and the battery easily lasts all day.

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Darn...so that's really the only way I can get rid of these bloatwares?..sucks. I want to get rid of the news..stocks...sense Facebook and twitter so bad. Also NASCAR and more of those annoying sprint bloatwares.

Sent From My HTC EVO 4G Using Tapatalk.

BrianTX

Jul 23, 2010
plus.google.com
The whole process takes about 10 minutes, there are even lists of what files to freeze all over this forum so there's no guess work involved. Can't get much easier

Mbaverizon#IM

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Stay away from task killers!

I highly recommend using z4 root, it's a free one click root app. I don't think it's available in the market anymore, but you can download it on your computer then just put it on your sd card. Then get titanium backup from the market to backup your phone and then freeze all the bloat. Both apps are free and simple to use. My wife's D2 and my DX have zero lag and the battery easily lasts all day.

so where can we get the z4 and no its gone from the market

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
You would be better getting a start up manager and set those Apps that you don't want to run to never and they shouldn't start up.

Shooperman

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I can vouch for z4root and titanium backup, both work well and are easy to use for disabling bloatware.

However...

I discovered something interesting the other day. I did a full wipe of my D2 (because I'm OCD and do so every once in a while just to have a "fresh" devise) and skipped signing into my Google account right away. Instead, I first went to settings -> Privacy -> and unchecked Back Up and Auto Restore my data, THEN signed into my Google account (that way it won’t automatically put back all the crap I'm trying to get rid of). My next step was to re-root and install TB, but I noticed most of the bloatware was already gone. Amazon MP3, City ID, the Kindle app, etc... did not get reinstalled. Some things did get put back (QuickOffice and NFS Shift and some others, but NFS can be uninstalled) but most are nowhere to be found. I have no clue if disabling Auto Restore is responsible, but I'm very happy now. My D2 is now running quicker than when I was rooted, disabled bloatware, AND running Launcher Pro (I'm back on the stock launcher).

If you have an aversion to rooting and are looking to only remove bloatware, I would suggest trying this. With Verizon's Backup Assistant you will retain all your contact once it syncs. The down side of this, of course, is that you need to re-install any apps you want back. In my opinion though, spending a few hours is completely worth it.

Last edited:

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Bloat Freezer, My own app will allow you to freeze all system apps like TB premium does for about a quarter of the prices, and freezes apps that TB can't like Amazon Mp3, but Titanium has tons of other features. Bloat Freezer focuses only of Freezing and Defrosting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995