What is the difference between a launcher and ROM

chrstdvd

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I have not installed a ROM yet because I do not fully understand what it is. I have read about them in several forums and looked at the screen shots, but not having physically done one, I do not have concept of what the advantage is.

On the other hand I have experimented with many launchers and really like the Launcher Pro Plus the best. AWD is OK by me and has more features but I don't use most of them.

I like the screen transitions of LiveHome best, the fliping page and the Cube are really cool to watch. And I wish they had them in the Launcher Pro series. Also I like the app drawer better in live home where you have an option to manage applications.

So, what is a ROM going to do that a different launcher can not do?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Launcher, IMHO to put simply is like hitting the start button on windows.
It "launches" folders apps, etc.

Roms are the operating system, i.e., win 7, vista, xp, etc.

The launcher is the hood/ body of a car. The rom is the engine that is powering the car.

chrstdvd

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
What advantage will I gain with a different "operating system/engine"?

The pictures I see of different ROM's only show the "body" of my car. What can I do different with a ROM?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Apparently customization, deleting unwanted apps, better battery life, etc.
You can set up the device the way you want it instead of how the manuf. thinks you should have it.

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
launcher are the firsthand homescreen UI; ROM's have all the performance, theme, OS tweaks. Not to mention new ROM's can bring new life to a dying device.

dcvilla

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Palm Centro / BB Curve 8320

Wife and I have the Centro for personal use and I also have BB for work, just got my two teens the D2 Global and they love it.

Still undecided what's good for old folks like us - been reading the posts in the Droid Inc and Droid X forums, not sure which is the better device.

RacecarBMW

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
can someone explain what a theme is in comparison to a launcher and a rom.

Can I download a theme that looks exactly like Vanilla android?

darrylmendo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
The way I understand ROMs is google allows android to be open source. That's why motorola, htc, samsung, etc... can customize android to give their phones their own theme or feel yet still be android. But that also means programmers can take android and customize it themselves for specific phones. A lot of times they do a much better job. I recently just eneterd the custom rom world and installed gummyjar rom onto my droid 2 and I completely love it! It is so much snappier and smoother. Launcherpro is sooo much better running over the gummyjar rom rather than the stock rom. Check the custom rom section of the droid 2 forums for more intel. I posted a video that shows you how to install custom roms.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair