Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 60
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Do you like the slide out keyboard?

    I have had my D2G for about a week and a half and I have to say that the physical keyboard is a winner. I'm not as fast as I once was on my BlackBerry Bold 9000, but the typing experience on the whole is a lot better. The phone itself is very comfortable to hold in the landscape position. The layout for the keys is perfect. I couldn't ask for a better keyboard. Is everyone else liking the keyboard?
  2. #2  
    silverfang77's Avatar
    Lone Wolf

    Posts
    295 Posts
    Global Posts
    888 Global Posts

    Default

    I like it, though I wish it had a second Shift key instead of the OK key.
    Galaxy S4 with Jelly Bean 4.3
  3. #3  
    circustravis's Avatar

    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.3

    Default

    I like it, but it seems like I'm still on a little bit of a learning curve even 3 months after I upgraded from the D1 with the little differences.
  4. #4  
    corydunbar's Avatar

    Posts
    777 Posts
    ROM
    AOSP by preferance

    Default

    the keyboard is top notch. and the only complaint i have is when i hit the microphone button in a text box it launches voice search instead of voice-to-text.
    Blackberry Storm 9530 (1 year)>
    Motorola Droid [Rooted] (Froyo 2.2 --> 1Ghz ultra low voltage) (8 months)>
    Motorola Droid X [Rooted] (Fission v2.6.1 --> 1Ghz--> low voltage)(10 months)>
    HTC Droid Eris [Rooted] (CM 7) (risky outdoors device)(current)>
    HTC Droid Incredible [Rooted] (CM 7)[Bad ESN <craigslist scam>](just a tablet now)>
    Motorola Droid 2 [Rooted] (GingerBread v2.3.3 Blur v4.5.153 --> 1Ghz) (Current)[/FONT]

    Next device: Samsung Galaxy S II
  5. #5  

    Default

    Love it myself, use it all the time. Even though a lot of people find they don't bother using the physical I knew I would primarily because I hate the virtual keyboards taking up 75% of the screen view. I knew when I had my iPhone that I wanted a physical keyboard.


    Rev.
    Galaxy S3
    Ubuntu Linux 10.04
    IT Tech
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
    Love it myself, use it all the time. Even though a lot of people find they don't bother using the physical I knew I would primarily because I hate the virtual keyboards taking up 75% of the screen view. I knew when I had my iPhone that I wanted a physical keyboard.


    Rev.
    That's the perk that I love the most. I like that I can see the full screen when typing. This is a big difference between an all touchscreen device and a slider.
  7. #7  

    Default

    The physical keyboard has gotten much faster for me. The best part is that it is effortless, requiring little brain involvement, whereas to go fast with the screen keyboard it will consume both lobes. The d-pad is useful.

    corydunbar: Ditto regarding the microphone button. I see why they did it programmatically, because evidently the voice feature we want is built into the virtual keyboard, but why didn't they just copy some code over.

    Also I was just going to suggest that they use shift+d-pad to select text, but I just tried it and IT WORKS.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default

    The mic button thing doesn't make sense. I didn't even know about the shift and arrow button keys being able to highlight text. That's so cool. This phone gets better and better all the time. I haven't started using the keyboard shortcuts yet but I think that I will eventually just like I used to do on my BlackBerry.
    Last edited by dwaynewilliams; 03-12-2011 at 09:57 PM.
  9. #9  

    Default

    Alt+dpad(left/right) jumps to the line ends. Alt+dpad(up/down) jumps to the top or bottom of the whole text box.

    Ooh check this out. In the browser if you hold down shift and use the arrow keys you get a freaky little mouse cursor. You can release shift and move the cursor to some text. Then use the OK button to copy it to the clipboard.
  10. #10  

    Default

    Well I guess it would be nice if that clipboard thing actually worked it says it is copying it but I haven't seen it on the clipboard.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potatoho View Post
    Well I guess it would be nice if that clipboard thing actually worked it says it is copying it but I haven't seen it on the clipboard.
    I tried it and it works! That's awesome. It takes a little effort though but it does work. I need to look into more useful tricks like this.
    Last edited by dwaynewilliams; 03-12-2011 at 12:05 PM.
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potatoho View Post
    Also I was just going to suggest that they use shift+d-pad to select text, but I just tried it and IT WORKS.
    You sir are a God among men!!! Thank you sooo much for posting this. I had no idea about this and just tested it and it works like a charm even using Ultrakeyboard. One of the things I always found the most annoying, both with the iPhone and my D2, is selecting text using the touch interface. Trying to get it to highlight exactly where you want can be a PITA and this trick totally alleviates that. Man, I too need to read up the Droid tips and tricks. Who knows what else I'm missing.


    Rev.
    Galaxy S3
    Ubuntu Linux 10.04
    IT Tech
  13. #13  
    MacHouse83's Avatar

    Posts
    186 Posts
    ROM
    4.0.3 ICS Leak

    Default

    I also love the physical keyboard on my D2G, its very flush and responsive. I had a Blackberry Bold 9700 once upon a time and I thought that was the best till I got this beast... D2G does its all!!!
    All Google.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacHouse83 View Post
    I also love the physical keyboard on my D2G, its very flush and responsive. I had a Blackberry Bold 9700 once upon a time and I thought that was the best till I got this beast... D2G does its all!!!
    I have had lots of phones and several Android devices and I have yet to own one that is as enjoyable to use as the D2G. This phone is definitely awesome.
  15. #15  
    silverfang77's Avatar
    Lone Wolf

    Posts
    295 Posts
    Global Posts
    888 Global Posts

    Default

    I can't select text with shift + arrow keys. How do you do it?

    Tappin' and Talkin' with Tapatalk
    Galaxy S4 with Jelly Bean 4.3
  16. #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverfang77 View Post
    I can't select text with shift + arrow keys. How do you do it?
    Simply hold shift and use the arrow keys to select the text. You may want to use the arrow keys to place the cursor at the start or end of what you want to select then do the shift arrow key select. I used it just now to remove the last line of your post in my quote. Are you using the default keyboard or a 3rd party keyboard? I'm using a 3rd party keyboard app and it works for me.


    Rev.
    Galaxy S3
    Ubuntu Linux 10.04
    IT Tech
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silverfang77 View Post
    I can't select text with shift + arrow keys. How do you do it?

    Tappin' and Talkin' with Tapatalk
    After you get to the beginning of where you want to start copying (this is after you have done the shift and dpad to see the arrow) you have to hit the ok button and then you can highlight the text.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potatoho View Post
    The physical keyboard has gotten much faster for me. The best part is that it is effortless, requiring little brain involvement, whereas to go fast with the screen keyboard it will consume both lobes. The d-pad is useful.

    corydunbar: Ditto regarding the microphone button. I see why they did it programmatically, because evidently the voice feature we want is built into the virtual keyboard, but why didn't they just copy some code over.

    Also I was just going to suggest that they use shift+d-pad to select text, but I just tried it and IT WORKS.
    The mic button does work! I was just experimenting with it and realized that you have to have the multitouch keyboard enabled and not swype. It seems like the physical keyboard takes on the settings of the virtual keyboard that is enabled. That's awesome because I used to have smartkeyboard and it had auto text. I'm going to try downloading it to see if I can get autotext using the slide out keyboard. If it does, then it will be like having my BlackBerry again!
  19. #19  
    dk21's Avatar

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

    Default

    I've honestly not used the slide-out keyboard for anything except the initial sign-in that makes you use it. Once I found SwiftKey it completely eliminated any need to use it.
  20. #20  
    corydunbar's Avatar

    Posts
    777 Posts
    ROM
    AOSP by preferance

    Default

    but the hardware mic button opens up voice search and not voice-to-text. does this not bother anyone else?

    update i'm using the gingerbread keyboard by the way.
    Blackberry Storm 9530 (1 year)>
    Motorola Droid [Rooted] (Froyo 2.2 --> 1Ghz ultra low voltage) (8 months)>
    Motorola Droid X [Rooted] (Fission v2.6.1 --> 1Ghz--> low voltage)(10 months)>
    HTC Droid Eris [Rooted] (CM 7) (risky outdoors device)(current)>
    HTC Droid Incredible [Rooted] (CM 7)[Bad ESN <craigslist scam>](just a tablet now)>
    Motorola Droid 2 [Rooted] (GingerBread v2.3.3 Blur v4.5.153 --> 1Ghz) (Current)[/FONT]

    Next device: Samsung Galaxy S II
  21. #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by corydunbar View Post
    but the hardware mic button opens up voice search and not voice-to-text. does this not bother anyone else?
    Yeah, that is pretty goofy, wonder how that got programmed. Luckily, for speech to text I access it through the virtual keyboard. And really, thinking about it I only ever use the speech to text function when I don't have two hands free to type. Like, I've used it primarily if I'm outside smoking a cigar and checking email and want to do a quick reply. As a result I've only ever tried to access it through the virtual KB, since I can do it all one handed, until I just tested right now after reading your post.


    Rev.
    Galaxy S3
    Ubuntu Linux 10.04
    IT Tech
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dk21 View Post
    I've honestly not used the slide-out keyboard for anything except the initial sign-in that makes you use it. Once I found SwiftKey it completely eliminated any need to use it.
    And I'm on the other end. I use the physical keyboard almost exclusively. But that the greatness of this device. You have choices.
  23. #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by corydunbar View Post
    but the hardware mic button opens up voice search and not voice-to-text. does this not bother anyone else?

    update i'm using the gingerbread keyboard by the way.
    As Dwayne figured out, try the multitouch keyboard. The keyboard mic works for me with that, but not the gb keyboard.
  24. #24  
    HMBgal's Avatar

    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts

    Default

    My daughter and I both have the D2. I use my slide out keyboard all the time, and she never uses hers. RE: the mic button, I also use it only on the virtual keyboard because I only go to the mic when I'm without both my hands and need to answer/send a text quickly. My keyboard got easier to use after a week or so because the keys seemed to "break in" a little bit. I came from a Storm 2, so I like the feel of a "keyboard." I have the haptic feed back disabled on the phone; it drove me nuts. I can type very quickly and accurately on the slide out keyboard. I am intrigued by that Swype business, though.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HMBgal View Post
    My daughter and I both have the D2. I use my slide out keyboard all the time, and she never uses hers. RE: the mic button, I also use it only on the virtual keyboard because I only go to the mic when I'm without both my hands and need to answer/send a text quickly. My keyboard got easier to use after a week or so because the keys seemed to "break in" a little bit. I came from a Storm 2, so I like the feel of a "keyboard." I have the haptic feed back disabled on the phone; it drove me nuts. I can type very quickly and accurately on the slide out keyboard. I am intrigued by that Swype business, though.
    My keyboard is starting to break in a little too. I use swype instead of the multitouch keyboard but I only use it when I'm doing one handed texting.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B