Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Cannot update certain apps

There are certain apps on my phone that will not update, while other apps do. I get the message: "Installation error: Couldn't install on USB storage or SD Card"

I have plenty of memory, over 1.4gb of storeage on my SD card, and over 6gb on my phone storage.

ROM
    Bugless Beast

Default Droid X as well

I am having this issue as well on the Droid X. Anyone with any insight would be helpful.

(In case it matters, I'm running Android v2.2.1 with the stock 2.3.3.340 system build)

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

Which applications? I think I've read something about apps on SD cards posing problems sometimes, you can try moving them back to the phone and see if that fixes things. Or uninstall/reinstall.
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Now that you mention it...I previously had an HTC Incredible...I ran into a similar issue, which was that some Apps caused problems like this. If i knew which app it was, I could unistall it and it would get rid of the problem, then all other apps would be able to update.

Yes - I have tried moving the apps to the phone. And nothing yet. I will try to move everything to the phone and give it another whirl. If that doesn't work, I guess I have to start uninstalling and seeing what works. But, if anybody has any insight on specific apps that may cause this, please share, would save a lot of time.

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

IIRC, Angry Birds was one of the culprits. I've never had the problem myself so I don't know if there are any others.
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock rooted

Move the apps to the phone and unmount the SD card when updating.
    Lone Wolf

Global Posts
    895 Global Posts

SD cards aren't reliable enough media to install apps to. I've had SD cards go corrupt for no reason I could tell once too often to trust them.
    Galaxy S4 with KitKat 4.4.2

Did this work

Yes, moving the apps and unmounting the SD card will allow you to update those apps (I just tried it and it works)