Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default built in keyboard problems

Hey Guys anyone have this problem or know how to fix it.

The background:
    I upgraded my wifes Droid 2 to Gingerbread and all was good.

The problem:
    About 2 days ago the phone started having issues with every keyboard. When I say eery keyboard I mean the physical one the onscreen one in both landscape and portrait. I am having a problem with it being able to type maybe 1 or 2 words before the keyboard just stops working. nothing except the home key will work at that point if you hit the home screen then go back into the txt msg then it will let you type 1 or 2 more words then it stops working again, but when I type gibberish ie: algdkhd aldgfhksd aldfkja... it works fine untill I start typing words again then it stops working again. Also sometimes when it crashes the keyboars and I have to hit the home screen what i typed disappears as well..

What I have done to correct the problem:

restarted it
    Pulled the batt.
    checks for programs causing the problems. ( no new programs have been installed in over 2 weeks)

Short of a factory reset I am not sure what to think or do.

Any help please and thank you.

Have you tried downloading and activating a trial third party keyboard like SwiftKey?:

https://market.android.com/details?i...swiftkey.trial

You have to make sure to go into Settings -> Language & keyboard and set it as the keyboard to use. See if that works. At least this way you'll know if it's the internal spell check, which is what it sounds like to me. From my understanding, each third party keyboard has it's own spell check and auto complete. I could be wrong but I know for certain the difference in spelling correction is far superior using UltraKeyboard then when I was using the built in.

Rev.
    Galaxy S5
    Ubuntu Linux 12.04
    IT Tech
    Thanked by:
    wg#AC 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
    Have you tried downloading and activating a trial third party keyboard like SwiftKey?:

https://market.android.com/details?i...swiftkey.trial

You have to make sure to go into Settings -> Language & keyboard and set it as the keyboard to use. See if that works. At least this way you'll know if it's the internal spell check, which is what it sounds like to me. From my understanding, each third party keyboard has it's own spell check and auto complete. I could be wrong but I know for certain the difference in spelling correction is far superior using UltraKeyboard then when I was using the built in.

Rev.
    Thank you.

I asked her if she even uses the auto correct and she said no so I unchecked the auto correct check box and everything is fine now. So I am hoping someone caught this in the pre release and it will be fixed with the update coming next month.

Default Re: built in keyboard problems

Fix For Motorola Droid 2 Keyboard Issues | Everyday Tips and Thoughts...

check out this website, I went through the same issues! it's not a permanent fix but at least helps it out for a little bit. However, I'm still dealing with the physical keyboard buttons sticking causing some letters to register more than once and some to not at all.

Needless to say, I am not a fan of this phone.

Have you tried a cache cleaner or even the clear cache option in the recovery menu? It works wonders and you won't loose any of your settings or media

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Dont know for sure if the issues are the same but a few months ago I started having issues with my keyboard and even when trying to type a text message.
    I looked around several different sites and the one answer I found that seems as if it would not help at all - actually did and I have had no issues since.
    Go to "settings" then to the Language and Keyboard setting. Go to the dictionary and delete all of the collected words within it. Then reboot your phone.
    For whatever reason from that point on the "buggy" issues I was having w/keyboard disappeared from that point on.
    Hope I addressed your issue properly and if so hope it helps!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Android Central Forums