Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Default Really would like to hear about battery life & signal strength!

My Dinc, while a great phone is just not doing it anymore for me. I'm on a 2150 battery which makes the phone very thick. And my signal strength is so bad it just kills my battery.

I am hoping someone could talk about their experience with standard battery & with extended battery. Also if there is a pic with the extended battery in? Is it thicker?

Finally how is signal strength?

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

Default Re: Really would like to hear about battery life & signal strengt

Quote Originally Posted by RWCouck View Post
    My Dinc, while a great phone is just not doing it anymore for me. I'm on a 2150 battery which makes the phone very thick. And my signal strength is so bad it just kills my battery.

I am hoping someone could talk about their experience with standard battery & with extended battery. Also if there is a pic with the extended battery in? Is it thicker?

Finally how is signal strength?

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk
    I didn't have a Dinc (I upgraded from OG Droid) but the battery life seems on par with my OG Droid, perhaps SLIGHTLY lower, but if so it's not by much.

Signal Strength seems improved as well, at home I'm on a roaming network on only had service outside on the font porch and in 2 rooms, now everywhere in the yard and house seem to get signals, I can walk around and talk on the phone and get texts in my office too.

I hope that helps you out a bit at least.
    Thanked by:

Signal strength is better than my OG Droid and the battery life seems about the same.
    Thanked by:

Can't speak to signal strength as I've not been paying attention. Battery life is good, great on slow days. Last night I hit 24 hours off charge and 60% remaining. That's pretty solid. The extended battery, which I don't have, makes the entire phone a bit thicker. I saw a review by a guy with the extended battery, and until he mentioned it, I didn't notice it was different. That's a pretty sexy EB.
    Thanked by:
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,022 Global Posts

Here is a photo droid-life tweeted. Extended battery
    Claimed only a 10% drop after 12the hours.....

ImageShack - Online Photo and Video Hosting
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Can anybody compare battery life and signal strength to the Droid 2: Global? Really interested in thus upgrade but also a little gun-shy of loosing what I have with the D2G.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    Can anybody compare battery life and signal strength to the Droid 2: Global? Really interested in thus upgrade but also a little gun-shy of loosing what I have with the D2G.
    I carry a Droid 2G for work and can say the signal strength so far is identical to my D3. 3 bars consistent at work and my old BB Curve use to be 2 bars at the same location.

As for battery, Fully charged the battery at 10:30 and now at 1:18 down 1/3rd and not doing much on the D3. Not good, gonna have to look into it but need to find a good tool to tell me what is draining my D3. Anyone have one they like?
    Last edited by mbrouill; 07-12-2011 at 12:20 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by mbrouill View Post
    I carry a Droid 2G for work and can say the signal strength so far is identical to my D3. 3 bars consistent at work and my old BB Curve use to be 2 bars at the same location.

As for battery, Fully charged the battery at 10:30 and now at 1:18 down 1/3rd and not doing much on the D3. Not good, gonna have to look into it but need to find a good tool to tell me what is draining my D3. Anyone have one they like?
    It's normal for the first few days to not be as good, but hopefully it will improve. Keep us informed ...
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Quote Originally Posted by mbrouill View Post

I've been reading around on forums and I read somewhere that by default your network settings are set to global and you need to manually set it to CDMA. After doing this the people who were having problems with battery life no longer had problems.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sagarp14 View Post
    I've been reading around on forums and I read somewhere that by default your network settings are set to global and you need to manually set it to CDMA. After doing this the people who were having problems with battery life no longer had problems.
    Thanks for the tip. Just set it to CDMA and will see what happens. Now if I could just get rid of all the icons of products I would never use.

DO YOU HEAR ME VERIZON???

Setting it to cdma helped me out a bit, I am too heavy a user to ever get a full day out of it though.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

i cannot remember how to turn off global. what menu is that under?
    ninjapirate2000 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyshinta View Post
    i cannot remember how to turn off global. what menu is that under?
    Settings--->Wireless & Network Setting-->Mobile Networks---Switch Network mode from Global to CDMA
    Thanked by:
    Masheen likes this.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by sagarp14 View Post
    That's interesting, I've never known that to make any difference with my Blackberries or my D2G although it does kinda make sense.

I think I have seen enough to know that it's not gonna be terrible and that is what I was worried about.

there have been quite a few people having battery problems with the d3. personally i'm getting pretty good battery life out of it - going for a full day with pretty heavy use (still playing with it a lot) and having 40% or so after 12-13 hrs or so.

i think since the phone is so new, there are a lot of apps that aren't quite working that well on gingerbread or with the new chip or whatever the case may be. it seems that some apps are having issues with running constantly or eating up the battery life.

so i think the final verdict on battery life is still out, but overall it is pretty good

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

I recommend downloading juice defender. I purchased the ultimate upgrade on my last phone and it helps alot by turning off sync except when you are using the phone.Now granted you won't get push notifications on anything unless you unlock the phone, but it does wonders on battery life. Last full charge i went right at 31 hours and still had 30% left with low-moderate usage. And it doesn't affect receiving phone calls or text messages.

Quote Originally Posted by cozz View Post
    there have been quite a few people having battery problems with the d3. personally i'm getting pretty good battery life out of it - going for a full day with pretty heavy use (still playing with it a lot) and having 40% or so after 12-13 hrs or so.

i think since the phone is so new, there are a lot of apps that aren't quite working that well on gingerbread or with the new chip or whatever the case may be. it seems that some apps are having issues with running constantly or eating up the battery life.

so i think the final verdict on battery life is still out, but overall it is pretty good
    Wow, 40% after 12 hours. I'm jealous. I'm just coming up to the twelfth hour of my D3's third day, and it's about to die. Literally, couple of percent left on the battery. To be fair, there was some fairly heavy GPS usage today with Google Maps, plus the usual checking Twitter/Facebook/etc and emailing/texting, but still.

I want 40% after 12 hours. Any tips or tricks that you could share?
    The Dude abides.

Global Posts
    337 Global Posts

I have had the screen on, on my D3 for 2 hours straight, now and the battery is down 50%. If this were my OG Droid, the battery would probably be at about 30% or less from that amount of screen use. I'd say, if nothing else, the PenTile display delivers on its promise of reduced power consumption. I think it looks quite good, too.

I will say that the initial charge took a very long time, probably because the battery has to charge long enough to establish the stats data for the phone to know what 100% is.

Signal strength is a full 4 bars in my home. The OG Droid usually fluctuated from 2-4 bars depending on what room I was in.

Quote Originally Posted by dancingcrab View Post
    Wow, 40% after 12 hours. I'm jealous. I'm just coming up to the twelfth hour of my D3's third day, and it's about to die. Literally, couple of percent left on the battery. To be fair, there was some fairly heavy GPS usage today with Google Maps, plus the usual checking Twitter/Facebook/etc and emailing/texting, but still.

I want 40% after 12 hours. Any tips or tricks that you could share?
    Navigation can be pretty brutal on the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjataint View Post
    Navigation can be pretty brutal on the battery.
    Yeah, just peaked at the battery stats...

Maps 39% (!)
    Wi-fi 17%
    Cell standby 17%
    Phone idle 12%
    Android system 8%
    Display 6% (holy smokes!!)
    Android OS 2%
    The Dude abides.

Global Posts
    337 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dancingcrab View Post
    Yeah, just peaked at the battery stats...

Maps 39% (!)
    Wi-fi 17%
    Cell standby 17%
    Phone idle 12%
    Android system 8%
    Display 6% (holy smokes!!)
    Android OS 2%
    I know, right? With any other phone, just having the display on for a short while puts it at the top of the list for battery drain. Ninja is right, though, using navigation on the phone without having it plugged into a power source can drain your battery so quick that it gets hot. For some phone models, people have even said that the battery still drains while charging on the car adapter, but it just drains slower. I don't know how true that is but it illustrates the point of just how much juice it takes for the phone to do Navigation.

-SR-

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts

With the little tuning of the phone people had suggested, my battery life has improved immensely.

Thanks everyone...

Wondering if this is normal? I fully charge my battery and then no use from midnight till 8am and by 3pm with little use my battery is down to 20%

Cell standby- 48%
    Phone idle- 46%

Quote Originally Posted by WarER4X View Post
    I know, right? With any other phone, just having the display on for a short while puts it at the top of the list for battery drain. Ninja is right, though, using navigation on the phone without having it plugged into a power source can drain your battery so quick that it gets hot. For some phone models, people have even said that the battery still drains while charging on the car adapter, but it just drains slower. I don't know how true that is but it illustrates the point of just how much juice it takes for the phone to do Navigation.

-SR-
    Depends on the car adapter, some of them don't put out enough juice to charge while navigating. I always buy them from amazon and read the reviews carefully, someone usually indicates the output if it isn't listed in the description. Also, they cost 3-5 dollars on amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by dirt4444 View Post
    Wondering if this is normal? I fully charge my battery and then no use from midnight till 8am and by 3pm with little use my battery is down to 20%

Cell standby- 48%
    Phone idle- 46%
    Are you in global or cdma mode? Also, you could put your phone in sleep mode when you go to bed if you aren't using the alarm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast