Video chat isn't quite there yet...

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I decided to try out video chat yesterday between my D3 and my wife's iPhone 4. So, I did a little search and found a couple of apps that can do this cross-platform: Fring and Qik. I installed both of these apps on both phones, then came the test.

Fring worked, but it was crazy laggy on both ends. On top of that, my image was inverted, so my wife saw me upside down on her phone. As for Qik, well, it didn't work at all. After signing in and clicking the "2-way video chat" button, it just FC's, everytime, like clockwork.

There might be other video chat options available if you're just trying to go between two Android devices (but I'm in no position to test them). As for the two apps that I just mentioned, they're not really cuttin' it, in my opinion.

Anyone else had success with this yet?

-SR-

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't have my bionic yet so can't test with my wifes D3 but I recall seeing skype on the phone. Does it not do video? or is it just calls.

reyxlp

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Fring worked, but it was crazy laggy on both ends. On top of that, my image was inverted, so my wife saw me upside down on her phone. -SR-

I had the exact same experience with Fring.

It's really a joke that Skype isn't up and working on all these Verizon phones yet. How long can it possibly take if you're really trying to develop the app for it? I don't think they are.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Personally, if it can't video call with a computer, it is of little use to me.

Come on already, I thought google talk was supposed to be baked into 2.3.4

-Suntan

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I tried out Tango this morning and it worked just fine. WiFi worked good; 3G was pretty messy, but that's to be expected, I guess.

-SR-

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood