D3 vs Incred2

macten52

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Got a new D3 and it is pretty sweet. It is large and heavy. The keyboard is awesome. I have a Incred2 which is also a good phone. I was all pumped up about the D3 screen and dual-core cpu. However....when you really compare the Incred2 and the D3 the Incred2 display is pretty fantastic! So I am not sure which to keep. The displays are really equal. I don't really see a speed advantage for the D3. both have really good battery life so I guess it comes down to the keyboard. I don't use it often but it is handy if you need it. One other thing...The D3 has awesome reception. The Incred2 is OK. I was wondering what people who have seen / used both models might think???? thanks

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Got a new D3 and it is pretty sweet. It is large and heavy. The keyboard is awesome. I have a Incred2 which is also a good phone. I was all pumped up about the D3 screen and dual-core cpu. However....when you really compare the Incred2 and the D3 the Incred2 display is pretty fantastic! So I am not sure which to keep. The displays are really equal. I don't really see a speed advantage for the D3. both have really good battery life so I guess it comes down to the keyboard. I don't use it often but it is handy if you need it. One other thing...The D3 has awesome reception. The Incred2 is OK. I was mm. wondering what people who have seen / used both models might think???? thanks

Depends on what you want IMO, since the Inc 2 IMO has only one advantage (slimmer and lighter).

D3 is better with:

Reception
Speed
Video decoding
Sound quality
Display resolution
11GB more internal app space
SD card hot swappable
Keyboard is work of art (unless do not want one)

In spite of the advantages, I can see plenty of folks being indifferent and wanting a slimmer and lighter phone.

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
The Inc 2 has more advantages than just size (although that is a big advantage). The screen is far nicer, it is a lot cheaper right now (you can pick one up for about $25 at Costco) and many would prefer HTC''s Sense to Moto's skin.

I personally can't live without a keyboard and I am one of those rare owners who really likes MotoBlur. So, for me, the D3 was the way to go.

However, if you don't want a keyboard, I don't really see a good argument for going with the Droid 3. The D3's keyboard is pretty damn sweet though - blackberry quality.

All my opinion though, and YMMV.

Last edited:

albertgeorge

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
First of all, the d3 has a much better screen than the inc2. Second even if you dont like a keyboard, you have a dual core device, inc2 is only single core. And the d3 isnt a big device at all.

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
In response to your points:

1) Nobody was saying the D3 is a "large" phone. The issue about size was strictly in comparison to the Inc2. There is no question that the D3 is a bigger phone than then Inc3. So, if thin and light is your top priority. the Inc3 is the better choice.

That said, I don't know how anybody could objectively claim the D3 is not chunky. Outside the monster phones with 4G and 4.3 inch screens, it is certainly one of the largest phones on the market. Its about as long as the 4.3 inch Thunderbolt and probably thicker than any other phone in VZW's lineup (and, no, I have not checked so this is just a guess). I think the size is very manageable and well-worth the trade off for the large screen and super keyboard. But, it is large - like many of today's flagship Android OS phones.

2) No offense, but I honestly don't know how anybody can objectively claim the Inc2 has an inferior screen to the D3. Side by side, its not even close. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion. But, I'm pretty certain that no objective tester would agree with you.

In a way though, it is a moot point. The OP is choosing between the D3 and the Inc2, and like most others, he personally prefers the screen on the Inc2. So, the plus is in the HTC column for him.

3) On paper, the dual core processor should be a big advantage for the Droid 3. Practically, the Inc2 feels a bit more responsive than the D3. This may have to do with Sense being more snappy overall than Blur (or whatever Moto is calling their skin these days). However, I believe that the typical non-power users won't even recognize that the D3 has a more advanced processor.

I'd still choose the D3 over the Inc3, because of the wonderful keyboard. Still, if we want to be objective, there are pluses and minuses to both units.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
@ walkabout

A person came hear asking for other people?s opinions about the difference between the D3 and the inc2. Stop telling the people that are kind enough to reply that they are wrong.

Personally, if the OP has both phones in hand to play with I don?t really see the need to ask other people their opinions, but he/she has so let the other people give the opinions that the OP asked for.

-Suntan

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
If you get better reception on the D3, then keep the D3. There's no need to punish yourself with less than stellar reception.

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
@ walkabout

A person came hear asking for other people’s opinions about the difference between the D3 and the inc2. Stop telling the people that are kind enough to reply that they are wrong.

Personally, if the OP has both phones in hand to play with I don’t really see the need to ask other people their opinions, but he/she has so let the other people give the opinions that the OP asked for.

-Suntan

Suntan, my thermodynamic friend, you're killing me. This self-appointed moderator act is nearly as silly as your posts about physics and the laws of heat distribution. Anyway, if you really think anybody here is going to pay attention to your editorial comments about their posting style, I wish you much luck with that. Maybe it will go better than your career as a physicist.

In any case, this entire discussion makes me wonder why the OP can't have his cake and eat it too. That is, he seems to like the HTC screen better than the Droid screen, and also seems interested in a keyboard. Wouldn't it be nice if VZW offered that kind of option? I am sure Verizon has done there marketing research, but it is notable that the other major CDMA vendor has had a more complete lineup of Android OS phones with keyboards. There are HTC and Samsung phones with nice keyboard available at Sprint and T-mobile. Given that VZW wants to corner the enterprise market (presumably) which does tend to eschew touchscreen only devices, wouldn't more phones with keyboard make sense?

Last edited:

dogg

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Walkabout, your post made me laugh. Thanks.

Anyways, I have both the droid 3 and htc incredible 2 so I will pitch in. So far, the Droid 3's dual core processor has no real world advantage over the Incredible 2's. What I mean by this is that the Droid 3 offers synthetic performance boosts in programs such as quadrant, linpack, etc. Just because a device is dual core, doesn't necessarily mean that it is better than a single core. There are a lot of external factors to consider such as software optimization. When it comes down to general everyday usage, they are both equally responsive. Once ice cream sandwich comes in, the Droid 3 will have a huge performance boost because that version of android will be better optimized for dual core processors. As for the screens in both devices, it will come down to personal preference. Some people hate the pentile screen wile others swear by it, but I invite you to read this article:A Closer Look at the DROIDX2 and its qHD Display, PenTile at its Not-so-Finest - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog.

If you want a physical keyboard, the Droid 3 provides the best available. It's keyboard is fantastic! In my experience, the droid incredible 2 provided better battery life.

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Walkabout, your post made me laugh. Thanks.

Anyways, I have both the droid 3 and htc incredible 2 so I will pitch in. So far, the Droid 3's dual core processor has no real world advantage over the Incredible 2's. What I mean by this is that the Droid 3 offers synthetic performance boosts in programs such as quadrant, linpack, etc. Just because a device is dual core, doesn't necessarily mean that it is better than a single core. There are a lot of external factors to consider such as software optimization. When it comes down to general everyday usage, they are both equally responsive. Once ice cream sandwich comes in, the Droid 3 will have a huge performance boost because that version of android will be better optimized for dual core processors. As for the screens in both devices, it will come down to personal preference. Some people hate the pentile screen wile others swear by it, but I invite you to read this article:A Closer Look at the DROIDX2 and its qHD Display, PenTile at its Not-so-Finest - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog.

If you want a physical keyboard, the Droid 3 provides the best available. It's keyboard is fantastic! In my experience, the droid incredible 2 provided better battery life.

All the review sites that trust the most (Cnet, PhoneArena) etc basically reach the same conclusion and this was also my impression when I looked at the Inc2 in the store. Not that I have any complaints about the responsiveness of the D3, I just think the HTC is a snappy phone (which is fitting given that it has a snapdragon processor!).

As for the pentile screen, for me it is really less about the D3 not being good enough and more about the general excellence of the screens on some competitors. I have no problem whatsoever with the D3 screen, but some of the other screens out there (like the HTC and Samsung) are quite impressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol