Configuring corporate email with self-assigned certificate

nighttrain56

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if this has been discussed before or not, but wanted to get this out there for anyone else who may encounter this problem. I just received a couple Droid 3's into the office and could not get our corporate email accounts to setup on the phone, kept receiving an "Unable to connect to server" error message. Turns out, the problem is the security certificate on the Exchange server is a self-assigned certificate, and therefore the phone would drop the connection since the certificate isn't digitally signed. After spending about an hour and a half on the phone with Verizon and Motorola tech support, the following work around was finally giving to me and worked (this should also work if the certificate has expired):

1. Go to setup a new corporate sync account.
2. For email address, enter your gmail address.
3. For password, enter your gmail password.
4. For username, enter your gmail address again.
5. Tap Next
6. You will get an error message saying "Could not auto-detect server." Press OK.
7. For server, enter m.google.com
8. Tap Next.

Your gmail account should now be setup as your Corporate Sync account. Now you can go in (Home Screen -> Menu-> Settings -> Accounts) and edit the information for the Corporate Sync account to your actual corporate account. Make sure you uncheck the box for "Verify Certificate."

Fishwhenican

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
A Huge THANK YOU!!!!

My network manager and I were working on this just yesterday and it was driving us both mad. I used this fix this morning and now everything is working Great.

Also, For what it's worth, this is with a Novell Groupwise system!! :)

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
A Huge THANK YOU!!!!

My network manager and I were working on this just yesterday and it was driving us both mad. I used this fix this morning and now everything is working Great.

Also, For what it's worth, this is with a Novell Groupwise system!! :)

We use Novell Groupwise too, so I had a lot of the same issues.

Fishwhenican

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
We use Novell Groupwise too, so I had a lot of the same issues.

We actually have had pretty good luck using the Groupwise Mobility connector on other android devices but the Droid 3 for some reason was a bit more trouble.

The only other device we have had an issue with is a Palm Pre we are trying to connect

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
We actually have had pretty good luck using the Groupwise Mobility connector on other android devices but the Droid 3 for some reason was a bit more trouble.

The only other device we have had an issue with is a Palm Pre we are trying to connect

The Droid 3 is the only device I had a problem with. My Droid 2 Global connected quite easily, as did my iPad 2.

I'm pretty sure that Moto will offer a quick fix, because its an easy issue to solve.

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this has been discussed before or not, but wanted to get this out there for anyone else who may encounter this problem. I just received a couple Droid 3's into the office and could not get our corporate email accounts to setup on the phone, kept receiving an "Unable to connect to server" error message. Turns out, the problem is the security certificate on the Exchange server is a self-assigned certificate, and therefore the phone would drop the connection since the certificate isn't digitally signed. After spending about an hour and a half on the phone with Verizon and Motorola tech support, the following work around was finally giving to me and worked (this should also work if the certificate has expired):

1. Go to setup a new corporate sync account.
2. For email address, enter your gmail address.
3. For password, enter your gmail password.
4. For username, enter your gmail address again.
5. Tap Next
6. You will get an error message saying "Could not auto-detect server." Press OK.
7. For server, enter m.google.com
8. Tap Next.

Your gmail account should now be setup as your Corporate Sync account. Now you can go in (Home Screen -> Menu-> Settings -> Accounts) and edit the information for the Corporate Sync account to your actual corporate account. Make sure you uncheck the box for "Verify Certificate."
OMG.... Thank you soooo much. I was having a dickens of a time trying to add my work email to my new D3.:D

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I still get an error. When it comes time for me to perform step 7 it flashes over to the corporate sync screen before I can finish typing in M.google.com

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilsgutkowski