Droid 3 my next phone?- Keyboard question

Dukeuni

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Blackberry Tour 9630. I use my phone mostly for work- typing e-mails, messaging, etc. I surf the web and play games on my free time, but as you know, there are not many games for Blackberry.

I am trying to figure out if I should go ahead and get the Droid 3 or wait for the Bionic or SGII. I am not sure if I could get used to using the touch screen as a keyboard or not. My wife currently has a Iphone 4, and I just seem to type a lot slower with it, and I mess-up all the time while typing.

After reading the forums it seems like a lot of people get used to typing on the screen, and say they would never go back. I am just worried that I would get a full touchscreen and never get used to it.

I also have a Droid 3 specific question- Is the keyboard significantly better then the Droid 2? I was at a Verizon shop a few weeks back and looked at a Droid 2. I hated the keyboard. If I remember correctly, the keys were all covered with the same plastic- ie, no separation between the keys. I had a heck of a time typing on the Droid 2 vs. my Blackberry. After looking at the pictures of the Droid 3, it looks like the keys are separated and look more like the Blackberry keys.

Also, LTE will most likely not be a concern since I live in rural Oregon, and I cannot see when and if Verizon will ever upgrade to LTE.

I would appreciate any feedback or help!

Last edited:

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't know how much better the D3 is compared to a D2 but I can say that is much better to me than my D1. I like the keybaord about as well as my old bb bold 9000.

The Droid Shnoid

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how much better the D3 is compared to a D2 but I can say that is much better to me than my D1. I like the keybaord about as well as my old bb bold 9000.
Agreed. My only real problem is getting used to the bigger spread and the minor keyboard changes (I keep hitting TAB when going for the letter a). But beside that I like the keyboard.

Dukeuni, if you are a must-have-keyboard person like me, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the D3's keyboard. Besides, you can always use the virtual one on a gradual basis and see if you can make the jump or try something like the Swipe input and see if it might work even better for you.

Yoho

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
If anyone needs a phone with a physical keyboard then the Droid 3 is definitely the answer IMHO. I have had mine since launch day and I'm loving it!

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You can get used to the virtual keyboard but it is a bit of a hassle. You constantly have to readjust the screen as it pops up and down, etc. etc.

People that tend to poo poo a physical keyboard are the ones that tend to obsess over having the thinnest or the fastest this or that.

If you like the notion of a physical keyboard, check the droid3 out at the store. You probably like it.

-Suntan

Dukeuni

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback so far.

I guess I will just have to drive to a town that has a Verizon store. Just wish they would have different keyboard programs like Swype installed already on the phones so I could try it out. Just going to be hard to know if I can live without a keyboard or not.

Any thought on if the SGSII will come out with a slider on Verizon? I liked the specs of the phone, but the picture of the keyboard they posted did not look as good as the Droid 3. I also really like the top key numbers shown on the Droid 3.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The droid3 has swipe preinstalled on its virtual keyboard. While you're looking at it, ask the store person to show you how it works.

-Suntan

mbrouill

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Blackberry Tour 9630. I use my phone mostly for work- typing e-mails, messaging, etc. I surf the web and play games on my free time, but as you know, there are not many games for Blackberry.

I am trying to figure out if I should go ahead and get the Droid 3 or wait for the Bionic or SGII. I am not sure if I could get used to using the touch screen as a keyboard or not. My wife currently has a Iphone 4, and I just seem to type a lot slower with it, and I mess-up all the time while typing.

After reading the forums it seems like a lot of people get used to typing on the screen, and say they would never go back. I am just worried that I would get a full touchscreen and never get used to it.

I also have a Droid 3 specific question- Is the keyboard significantly better then the Droid 2? I was at a Verizon shop a few weeks back and looked at a Droid 2. I hated the keyboard. If I remember correctly, the keys were all covered with the same plastic- ie, no separation between the keys. I had a heck of a time typing on the Droid 2 vs. my Blackberry. After looking at the pictures of the Droid 3, it looks like the keys are separated and look more like the Blackberry keys.

Also, LTE will most likely not be a concern since I live in rural Oregon, and I cannot see when and if Verizon will ever upgrade to LTE.

I came off a Curve and carry the D2G for work and a D3 for personal use and if you are coming from a Tour to the D3, you will love the keyboard. I use the touch keypad for quick notes, but love the spacing and the extra row of the D3. Don't miss the BB in the least...

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

I've been a loyal BB user for years, and I had a BB Tour on VZW for two years. I like the keyboard on the D3 about as well as the keyboard on the BB. Its actually much easier to use overall, has a nicer layout, and nearly ideal feedback. I can easily type just as quickly on it as I did with the Tour and I think it is probably the nicest smartphone keyboard I've yet to encounter. The only reason I don't rate it above the BB outright is that it is slightly less convenient given that it is a slide-out. For fast answering of e-mails, the Tour was a little quicker on the draw.

Actually, I had a D2 G for a little while and I thought that keyboard was pretty nice too. It had the identical layout as the earlier version of the D2 (the one without the GSM radio) but the keys seem to have better feedback.

Bottom line, coming from a Tour, you won't miss a beat in terms of adjusting to the D3's physical keyboard. Its superb.

I really can't answer the question about whether you'd get used to an on-screen keyboard. I have friends with iPhones etc who love them and will never go back to a keyboard. Personally, I'd rather not have to carry my laptop with me whenever I'm away from the office and I don't see myself responding to longer notes by taping out keys on a screen. The keyboard just makes everything a lot easier. In the end, the major reason I opted for the Droid over something like an iPhone was the keyboard.

My guess is that most of the users who say they got used to the on-screen keyboard and stopped using the physical one are using the phone primarily for reasons other than business. I'm not saying that is true for everybody, but if you're in a line of work where you are responding to a lot of message on the go, a virtual keyboard will probably prove frustrating. Definitely a situation where the old adage, YMMV holds though.

A few other observations about the switch from the BB Tour to the D3:

1) The Tour is far more idiot-proof and easier to use. It takes less work to set it up, and its much more intuitive to manage e-mails. Part of that is because BES kicks the snot out of any exchange server I've seen. However, there are all sorts of little features, like pressing the "M" key to get to mail, that you will quickly miss.

2) The calendar and basic organizing applications are mostly superior on the Tour. There are also some day-to-day features that I miss. Most notably, the Tour let me have more control over Bluetooth. When I sync to my car, the Tour would sent only the names and phone numbers in specific categories. The D3 sends everything.

3) The browser on the D3 is in another league than the Tour. Way, way, way better. Its not even close.

4) I don't play games or do much multimedia stuff on the my phone (I have an iPad for that) but all the location oriented stuff and google apps make this one heck of a useful tool for my daily life.

5) I was suspicious of battery life because of my bad experience with the D2 G. I've been pleasantly surprised. With the extended battery and juice defender, the D3 lasts about as long on a single charge as my Tour. I easily get through a work day without having to think about the battery.

6) Installation and deletion of applications is way easier on the D3 than the Tour.

7) The D3 is far less buggy than the Tour was when first released. It took about three or four releases of the BB OS before my Tour became stable.

8) Coming from the Tour, which was a nearly ideal size for a smartphone, I find the D3 to be pretty chunky. It may not seem big in comparison to those monster 4.3 screen 4G phones, but it pushes the limits in terms of a practical size. I'm not finding it hard to live with at all, but I would certainly not want to go the next size up - to phones like the Samsung or HTC 4G Droids.

9) I miss the launcher feature of my Tour. The Tour was set up to turn itself off when inserted into the case, and then turn itself on as soon as you pulled it out. With the D3, there are a few more steps. Again, not a big deal, but one of those day-to-day things you might notice.

10) The beside cradle that I got with my Tour cost me $9 and (for my limited needs) was functionally equivalent to the $50 D3 multimedia dock.

Overall, I'm glad I made the switch and would recommend the D3. But, the BB naysayers not withstanding, the Tour did have some advantages over the Droid.

Good luck with you choice!

Dukeuni

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, I just picked-up my new Droid 3 today! All the stores were out, so I ordered it into thr store and it came next day. Love the build quality so far and the keyboard. I have never used Android before, so it will take some learning.

Thanks for all of your responses, it made it a easy decision!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

NormanGC

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

I used a BB8330 for several years and was concerned about the keyboard and touch screen as well.

My wife had a Storm 2 and my daughter has a Droid X to replace her broken Droid.

I tried all three phones and had found that the Droid was better since it had the keyboard. A couple of weeks ago I upgraded and plunged into the deep and got a Droid 3 and so did my wife, (BOGO Sweet deal) Anyways, It did not take me long to get used to the physical keyboard. in fact, when I use the phone the first thing I do is slide out the keyboard. This keyboard is WAAAAAAY better than than the ones on the D1 and D2.

The phone is slightly bigger than the tour and smaller than the Droid X2. 4 inch screen is perfect for me.

As it was stated in a previous e-mail, the browser is in a totally different class. It works and it's fast.

I was concerned about the not being 4G but have found in the last 2 weeks that 3G speed is plenty fast even though I have 4G available. Besides, 3G uses less battery than 4G.

The phone is solid and the call quality is excellent. I find that the sound is even clearer with the D3 than the BB 8330.

I was worried about the battery but found that I can get over 24 hours by tweaking the phone's settings and adding Juice Defender.

When looking at phones I researched the Dinc2 and DX2. I found that the DInc2, based on other people's experience, had/has some issues with the signal being weaker than the ones on the other phones. The specs on the D2 looked good, but the Dual core was more inviting. The specs of the DX2 and the D3 are practically identical. The biggest difference was the keyboard, which again, is an awesome keyboard.

My wife actually wanted the DX2, but, once she put her hands on D3's keyboard, she had a change of heart and took the D3.

After two weeks of use, I have absolutely NO regrets!

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I used a BB8330 for several years and was concerned about the keyboard and touch screen as well.

My wife had a Storm 2 and my daughter has a Droid X to replace her broken Droid.

I tried all three phones and had found that the Droid was better since it had the keyboard. A couple of weeks ago I upgraded and plunged into the deep and got a Droid 3 and so did my wife, (BOGO Sweet deal) Anyways, It did not take me long to get used to the physical keyboard. in fact, when I use the phone the first thing I do is slide out the keyboard. This keyboard is WAAAAAAY better than than the ones on the D1 and D2.

The phone is slightly bigger than the tour and smaller than the Droid X2. 4 inch screen is perfect for me.

As it was stated in a previous e-mail, the browser is in a totally different class. It works and it's fast.

I was concerned about the not being 4G but have found in the last 2 weeks that 3G speed is plenty fast even though I have 4G available. Besides, 3G uses less battery than 4G.

The phone is solid and the call quality is excellent. I find that the sound is even clearer with the D3 than the BB 8330.

I was worried about the battery but found that I can get over 24 hours by tweaking the phone's settings and adding Juice Defender.

When looking at phones I researched the Dinc2 and DX2. I found that the DInc2, based on other people's experience, had/has some issues with the signal being weaker than the ones on the other phones. The specs on the D2 looked good, but the Dual core was more inviting. The specs of the DX2 and the D3 are practically identical. The biggest difference was the keyboard, which again, is an awesome keyboard.

My wife actually wanted the DX2, but, once she put her hands on D3's keyboard, she had a change of heart and took the D3.

After two weeks of use, I have absolutely NO regrets!

Its actually a solid half inch longer! So, I'd say it is more than just a "tiny" bit larger!

The upside is that with the VZW shell/hoster, it actually is not a whole lot bigger to carry around than my Tour in the OEM plastic case.

SupaBlackB

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, I just picked-up my new Droid 3 today! All the stores were out, so I ordered it into thr store and it came next day. Love the build quality so far and the keyboard. I have never used Android before, so it will take some learning.

Thanks for all of your responses, it made it a easy decision!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

I just ordered my Droid3 today, went to the VZW store to get it, and found out all the stores were sold out, so they're doing fulfillment. Supposed to arrive in 2-3 business days. I'm leaving BB(9630) for Android, and i need a physcial qwerty too. Cant do the touch screen only, no thanks...

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered my Droid3 today, went to the VZW store to get it, and found out all the stores were sold out, so they're doing fulfillment. Supposed to arrive in 2-3 business days. I'm leaving BB(9630) for Android, and i need a physcial qwerty too. Cant do the touch screen only, no thanks...

Coming from the Tour's excellent keyboard, I can understand why you wouldn't want a touchscreen only device.

I am really surprised to read all these reports of sell outs, because there easily available out here in LA.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2