Major Outstanding Issues with the Droid 3

FutureDancer

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I thought i'd summarize the major issues that I and others are having with the Droid 3:

1) Standby uses significant battery life even when wifi off, bluetooth off, no widgets, no running apps and no sim card. My phone uses abit over 10% battery life per hour on standby

2) Blue photos. The stock camera takes haze blue photos that makes it look like celephane was stuck over the camera

3) GPS does not lock on. Mine almost never locks on. I have tried removing battery, standing on my head. trying different orders of unticking and re ticking the gps settings. Nothing works

4) Random restarts. Happens several times a day to me

Very poor effort by Motorola.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I think you should get your phone replaced. I have none of those issues with my D3 (can?t say about the photos as I have yet to take a photo with my phone, I did try out the video once and it looked acceptable for a phone though.)

-Suntan

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
My phone doesn't use 10%/hr in standby, but it does use more that I would expect. I think "phone idle" equates to using about 1.4%/hr, whereas the OG Droid was usually using 0.7%/hr. I'm not terribly concerned about that, really. I am a bit concerned at how varaible the battery usage seems to be on this device. Some days, with almost no use, it seems to use more power than on days with more use and I'm not sure why. The battery usage info isn't detailed enough to really pinpoint any processes that migth be the culprit.

As for the GPS, when it is working, it locks on very quickly for me. On the other hand, I have had two or three instances now where the GPS won't start-up at all when I open an app that needs it (such as Weatherbug or Maps). In those instances, I tried force closing the app and restarting it, switching Airplane mode off/on and none of that worked. The only thing that worked was turning the phone off/on. I think there is a good chance that this is somehow being caused by a third-party app, but I'm haven't been able to reproduce the issue at-will, so I can't say where the issue is coming from.

I think I have had, maybe 2 random restarts since the day I got the phone (which was the day before the in-store launch), so I wouldn't say that has really been a problem for me. It was probably caused by third-party apps, anyway.

Of course, the "blue photos w/ flash" issue is pretty widely known. Many have suggested installing a third-party camera app that utilizes alternative white balance options. I'm pretty confident that, that will work, but I haven't actually tried it yet. I'm at work right now (where I'm not allowed to take photos), but I might try it out when I get home this evening.

-SR-

TeeSquar

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Don't have a D3, but have been researching for a "next phone" and read your post.

A couple of suggestions:
On the excessive standby batt use issue. I used to have this on my HTC Eris after a fresh boot. One work-a-round was to enter Airplane mode, let the phone go into "sleep" then wake it back up and turn Airplane mode off. The problem was being traced to the phone inadvertently searching for other networks. A subsequent rooting and ROMing took care of the issue for me. Again, I have an HTC Eris, but your problem sounded simialr.

On the "blue haze" from the camera. Did you remove any plastic shipping film they usually put on the glass? Sounds simple, but sometimes it's those items you overlook.:p

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I have not seen those issues with my d3. The only problem I have is the camera taking forever to load and take pictures. I bought the extended battery which doesn't effect size and battery life is amazing.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

sagarp14

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I thought i'd summarize the major issues that I and others are having with the Droid 3:

1) Standby uses significant battery life even when wifi off, bluetooth off, no widgets, no running apps and no sim card. My phone uses abit over 10% battery life per hour on standby

2) Blue photos. The stock camera takes haze blue photos that makes it look like celephane was stuck over the camera

3) GPS does not lock on. Mine almost never locks on. I have tried removing battery, standing on my head. trying different orders of unticking and re ticking the gps settings. Nothing works

Completely agree with everything on there except number 4. As far as restarts go I've only had about 4 or so in the 3 weeks i've had the phone. The battery is a MAJOR issue for me. As war said, sometimes I get horrible battery life when I don't use the phone and when I do use the phone heavily it seems that the battery drains at the same speed. This is my first android phone and I was hoping I wouldn't have too many problems (theres problems with every phone). My biggest thing is just the battery. Also as you said my battery drains at ~10% per hour and I have switched my network mode to cdma and calibrated the battery by draining it completely.

kingsden

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site

There is an app called camera360, get it, then choose fleurescent setting. that will fix it.

Answer my driod 3 question?

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

If you want to significantly increase D3 battery life, turn off your global capabilities (GSM radio) while in the states.

To to this go to Menu>Settings>Wireless & networks>Mobile networks>Network mode>CDMA

sagarp14

May 5, 2011
Visit site
If you want to significantly increase D3 battery life, turn off your global capabilities (GSM radio) while in the states.

To to this go to Menu>Settings>Wireless & networks>Mobile networks>Network mode>CDMA

That works for some people and other people (including me) still report bad battery life. I really do think it is the phone and not me because sometimes with VERY light use I'm still using up about 10% per hour. Light use being sending a couple texts and making a few calls and thats it!

I went to the verizon store about a week after getting the phone and surprise surprise they were of very little help. The worker there was surprised that I was getting bad battery life and even looked through all of my phone settings and could not find out why my battery was draining so fast. All he could suggest was that I carry my charger around with me. I did not know whether there would be an extra charge to get a replacement or not (since I am not the account owner) so I didn't even ask about that.

Last edited:

tdosthp

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Not having any reboot issues at all. nor does my GPS fail to lock. I do suffer from the battery issues and like noteeeed, it fluctuates from day to day. I am also having an issue with the phone losing signal. I have tried turning airplane mode on and off to no avail...the only fix is a restart. Also, my slider is becoming very loose.

Anyone else experiencing the loss of signal issue?

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Not having any reboot issues at all. nor does my GPS fail to lock. I do suffer from the battery issues and like noteeeed, it fluctuates from day to day. I am also having an issue with the phone losing signal. I have tried turning airplane mode on and off to no avail...the only fix is a restart. Also, my slider is becoming very loose.

Anyone else experiencing the loss of signal issue?
Yes. Same here on all issues. Slider loose. Only lost signal once, but it happened 2 days ago.

tdosthp

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Went into Verizon today to ask about the slider. Of course, the salesperson wanted to compare it to a display model...which I am sure sees a lot of abuse...and more uncareful opening and closing than mine. Her diagniosis was that it was no worse than the display model. She did say that 'if' mine loosens up, it would be covered under the warranty.

She offered no help with the signal issue, other than if it keeps happening, to bring it back in.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
IMO, besides the blue flash photos, most issues are probably user app and settings related.

Though the DX2 firmware sucked bad, the D3 has been very good and that is with 1.3 GB of apps installed.

I do notice there is a signal issue, since will drop to no signal sometimes, or to 1X. Wondering if this is the battery and signal setting causing this. Mine is set to max battery.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Went into Verizon today to ask about the slider. Of course, the salesperson wanted to compare it to a display model...which I am sure sees a lot of abuse...and more uncareful opening and closing than mine. Her diagniosis was that it was no worse than the display model. She did say that 'if' mine loosens up, it would be covered under the warranty.

She offered no help with the signal issue, other than if it keeps happening, to bring it back in.

I have the same issue with the signal. It only happens once in a great while, but actually happened last night. I was using it, and then all of a sudden I had NO signal at all. My DX did this frequently, and I'm assuming it's something with Motorola's radios. I turned Airplane mode on and off and my signal came back.

I have the same issue with the slider. It's pretty loose, but that's to be expected. If it gets to the point of it sliding on it's own, then I'll have an issue.

My only REAL issue is the lock button. It's hard to press sometimes, especially if the phone is laying down. If I pick it up, it's not too bad. I've also noticed that the top of the phone creaks when I press it down sometimes, and this is usually the case when the lock button doesn't want to work.

heathro1281

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
My slider is stiff, but the first millimeter or so is very loose. Every time I take it out of my pocket, the keyboard is out a 1 or 2 millimeters.

jenntas

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Mine just keeps on rebooting over and over. I took the battery out overnight and did a master reset 2 times already!! & it still keeps rebooting. I didn't have these issues with my Droid X...I'm ready to exchange my Droid 3 for a Droid X 2! Any thoughts about whether this is a good idea? I actually miss my Droid X but it is nice having a keyboard...

jkmasi

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I have all of these issues, except that my GPS will lock very quickly WHEN it comes on. Sometimes it won't come one at all unless I toggle other location services off, then back on after toggling gps on.

I haven't exactly had random restarts, but my phone sometimes powers itself back on after I turn it off. Totally weird.

I'm back to my Inc2 (great phone) until after Moto releases some fix for this stuff

Liljoepr

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I've been getting random reboots few times a day. When I plug or un-plug the charger or even when I slide out the keyboard it reboots. VERY annoying I must say. Also the blue photos are a big disappointment for me. Battery life is TERRIBLE. I'm using a battery saver app that has been improving my battery life by 20% I would say.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000