Major Outstanding Issues with the Droid 3

tkong

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
My phone does get random reboots sometimes, kinda when something is lagging, its kinda annoying.

My first Droid 3 would randomly reboot. I plugged it in once and it shut off but came back on. I'm on my second Droid 3 now, and there have been no problems.

tkong

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Not having any reboot issues at all. nor does my GPS fail to lock. I do suffer from the battery issues and like noteeeed, it fluctuates from day to day. I am also having an issue with the phone losing signal. I have tried turning airplane mode on and off to no avail...the only fix is a restart. Also, my slider is becoming very loose.

Anyone else experiencing the loss of signal issue?

I have signal issues but I think the problem is when my D3 goes into battery saver mode at night. When I disengage it, the phone is sluggish and requires a reboot which usually restores the signal to about 4 bars.

macten52

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
My D3 experiences....bear in mind my unit is pretty stock, not many 3rd party apps. had it about 3 weeks.

My unit has rebooted a few times...sliding out KB, playing with pictures on SD card and once just by itself. (I am not crazy about this!)
My battery life is pretty good but I am a moderate user and am in a good reception area all day.
I don't use GPS and have it off.
As far as signal...I have noticed it drop to 1X and no bars a couple times. after a few minutes it would come back????

tkong

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
My D3 experiences....bear in mind my unit is pretty stock, not many 3rd party apps. had it about 3 weeks.

My unit has rebooted a few times...sliding out KB, playing with pictures on SD card and once just by itself. (I am not crazy about this!)
My battery life is pretty good but I am a moderate user and am in a good reception area all day.
I don't use GPS and have it off.
As far as signal...I have noticed it drop to 1X and no bars a couple times. after a few minutes it would come back????

Mine does the 1X thing too.

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
As far as the GPS issue goes (that I reported earlier in this thread and others), I think I've finally found how to fix it. Turning the GPS off/on didn't help. I only got GPS functionality back when I would turn the phone off/on. It seems to be related to Verizon's own location based services. I don't use any of Verizon's location based stuff on this phone (it's just more bloat, as far as I'm concerned). I recently discovered that there is an option in the "Location & Security" settings that is specific to Verizon location-based apps. Ever since I turned that off (it was on by default, I think), I have not lost my GPS functionality even once.

Hope that helps.

-SR-

jgsinc1

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I thought i'd summarize the major issues that I and others are having with the Droid 3:

1) Standby uses significant battery life even when wifi off, bluetooth off, no widgets, no running apps and no sim card. My phone uses abit over 10% battery life per hour on standby

2) Blue photos. The stock camera takes haze blue photos that makes it look like celephane was stuck over the camera

3) GPS does not lock on. Mine almost never locks on. I have tried removing battery, standing on my head. trying different orders of unticking and re ticking the gps settings. Nothing works

4) Random restarts. Happens several times a day to me

Very poor effort by Motorola.

There is also a major problem with the widget for your 20 favorites staying on the screen. You blue photos may be because you have not removed the film that they put over the camera lens.

We all may find better things now that Google has bought out Motorola Mobile.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
That works for some people and other people (including me) still report bad battery life. I really do think it is the phone and not me because sometimes with VERY light use I'm still using up about 10% per hour. Light use being sending a couple texts and making a few calls and thats it!

I went to the verizon store about a week after getting the phone and surprise surprise they were of very little help. The worker there was surprised that I was getting bad battery life and even looked through all of my phone settings and could not find out why my battery was draining so fast. All he could suggest was that I carry my charger around with me. I did not know whether there would be an extra charge to get a replacement or not (since I am not the account owner) so I didn't even ask about that.

Well if you still have your D3, you can now root and freeze/remove the battery sucking bloatware.

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
There is also a major problem with the widget for your 20 favorites staying on the screen. You blue photos may be because you have not removed the film that they put over the camera lens.

We all may find better things now that Google has bought out Motorola Mobile.

Er, blue tint with the stock camera software is a well demonstrated known issue. Even Moto themselves admits there is a problem.

From what I can see, third party camera apps resolve the problem nicely.

houseofgrafx

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issues with my D3 and this is the 2nd phone. I had my 1st replaced and still have the same issues. So either most of the D3s are defective or this just wasn't one of motorolas best efforts.
My camera takes awful pictures. Blue, and blurry. I use my camera a lot so it's quite disappointing.
The battery life stinks. I had no choice but to go with an extended battery, and still find myself charging throughout the day.
Random restarts? Yep! I get those too. My phone will even turn itself on after I shut it down. I really hope these issues get resolved because I like the phone, just don't care for all the issues!

Rlin5741

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Well if you still have your D3, you can now root and freeze/remove the battery sucking bloatware.

On the XDA forums, there were a couple users who reported vastly improved battery life with a root and freeze, although I believe one under locked the CPU to 800MHz. Others appear to say otherwise, that freezing did not appear to do anything. So far, the only vz bloat that appears to run constantly is the backup assistant, which I have never set up and always shows CPU at 0% so I don't believe it is the cause.

What has been your experience? I do notice that the phone does wear through the battery at about 10% per hour for me, and that is with moderate to high usage of 50+ texts, about 10 min of phone calls, some web browsing, news apl usage, and two exchange accounts on push sync. However, the last 20% of battery life appears to drain 2x as slow, leading me to believe there is a faulty battery indicator.

Rlin5741

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone notice an SMS bug where if I initiate an SMS to a contact I already have a thread going with from one of the favorites on the favorites widget or the contacts app, then it will apear to pull up a brand new thread, but attach the SMS I send to the old thread, and replies in the separate new thread. So that for the next several messages, sent and received sms's from that contact go into two separate threads. This lasts for a few messages but then resolves itself.

This only happens occasionally. Most of the time the threads work correctly, regardless of how I launch SMS, but on occasion I get this weird behavior.

Cappurnikus

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I thought i'd summarize the major issues that I and others are having with the Droid 3:

1) Standby uses significant battery life even when wifi off, bluetooth off, no widgets, no running apps and no sim card. My phone uses abit over 10% battery life per hour on standby

2) Blue photos. The stock camera takes haze blue photos that makes it look like celephane was stuck over the camera

3) GPS does not lock on. Mine almost never locks on. I have tried removing battery, standing on my head. trying different orders of unticking and re ticking the gps settings. Nothing works

I have all of these problems minus the random restarts. Odd thing is, I haven't had them until a week ago and I've had the phone for over a month. I was getting great battery life and no gps issues until recently. That leaves me to believe there's an app causing the problems... I just can't find it.

NormanGC

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

I bought Juice Defender and consistently get over 24hours with light to medium use.

Totally agree with this one! It looks like the normal setting is set to the blue tint setting. I changed the camera to sepia, black and white and everything works fine. I change the setting to blue tint and noticed that the picture was very similar to the standard. Sure enough it's identical.

I had the same problem when I switched from BB 8830 to D3. I called Verison and the noticed that my account was not properly or completely converted over. When trying to use the GPS it would sometimes lock on quickly but most of the time it would not lock up.

What they had to do is change something at their end to say that the GPS was with my D3 and not with my BB. For what ever reason, the phone was able to send out a request for coordinates but the system was trying to send them to the BB.

It took all of 10 minutes to get that resolved and now I lock on within 5-10 seconds.

Never had one!

Besides the Camera, which I don't use very much since I have several SLRs and Point and shoot, I don't really see any major issues.

BTW. Last Saturday, I unplugged my phone at 12:30pm and immediately turned off WiFi and turned on Slacker Radio. The radio played on 3G, with the proper setting in Juice Defender, for 4h 45m and my battery was only at 60%

I would say this phone rocks!

Now that the phone has been rooted, I will be able to use features in Juice Defender like reduce the CPU speed and downgrade the radio from 3G to 1x when the screen is powered down. (Who needs full 3G speeds when the phone is in my pocket! Besides, 1X will allow text messages and emails to be delivered. That what I had with my BB.

I'm hoping to get any where between 36 and 48 hours on one charge on my regular battery.

Reactions: nathanb131

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Have issues with airplane mode and sleep it seems twice a day at work my phone gets stuck on airplane mode requiring a reboot to get it out

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Between airplane mode and an inconsistent camera at times it loads quickly other times it lags or just locks up my phone. Let alone the fact that the pictures come out looking to bad to share. Blur home is a resource hog im not very happy with this phone at all. Oh well will be up for sale whenever we get a compelling samsung device or something with high specs and stock android tired of crappy skins and poorly coded releases

nathanb131

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

I'm new at Android, so forgive me if I'm not adding to this discussion. I'm guessing your 'standby' battery drain is software settings and has little to do with hardware. I have a Continuum and am looking to switch to Droid 3. My battery performance has been all over the place and got way worse the more apps I installed and the more settings I tried to change on a regular basis. I narrowed down the problem to minor apps wanting to sync crap over 3G all the time. I tried to switch as many as I could to 'only sync when charging and on wifi' but either those settings kept defaulting back or there was just so many apps doing it that I couldn't change them all. Then I tried those widgets that turn syncing and data off. That was infuriating too. Many times I would toggle both off and then watch as the little '3G' icon lit up while yet another thing was syncing, so apparently those little toggles are easily over-ridden by bloaty software. So the ONLY way I could prevent my phone from draining itself on STANDBY after a half day was to toggle to airplane mode. That I couldn't just force it to only do voice and texting while on 3G when I wanted was very aggravating.

Latest thing I did was install Juice Defender (just the free version) and that seems to be doing the trick. Now instead of being at like 30% after little use by 2pm, she's still at like 60% after solid use all day. I'm not sure why JD is able to successfully block that pestering data syncing and the toggle won't, but I'm very surprised at how huge of a difference it has made.

pclem333

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I have not seen those issues with my d3. The only problem I have is the camera taking forever to load and take pictures. I bought the extended battery which doesn't effect size and battery life is amazing.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
So you got good results from upgrading to the extended battery? Can you estimate how much increase in battery life you got?

darthakakios

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

I have all these issues as well, except for the random restarts. I did get the extended battery and the life is better, but still leaves a bit to be desired.

Shimmy583

May 3, 2011
Visit site
My D3 has dealt me nothing but minor annoyances. I've experienced occasional lag when launching apps or switching orientation, but that's nothing. I roll my eyes when people complain about those things.

There is a slight blue tint to pictures, but only a slight one. I didn't even notice until I read about it in forums. I had a Moto q9m years ago and those pictures came out looking red and "warm." My D3's pictures come out slightly blue and "cool," but the Moto q9m's issue was much more apparent. I usually take pictures with CamScanner, anyway, as that app enhances fine details, such as background lettering.

I can't speak to possible GPS issues because I've never used the GPS. If I want directions, I read a map until I find them. That may sound stubborn or unreasonable, but I trust my ability to read a map more than I trust the ability of a computer to come through for me when it absolutely has to. Basically, if I want it done right, I do it myself. I'm sure GPS can come in handy sometimes, but I've never needed it.

No random reboots yet in the month I've had the phone. I suppose there's still time, though. I had an EnV Touch that rebooted about once every hour (can't call that random-lol), but a software fix took care of that problem. Honestly, a few random reboots with my D3 wouldn't faze me.

I compare this phone to my D2G and find it to be superior in pretty much every way. Things happen faster and the battery life is better with my D3. I rooted it with the intention of under-clocking my CPU and freezing those pre-installed apps that constantly run in the background (if I need Google Maps, I will unfreeze it), but I only got as far as freezing bloatware. I don't see a point in running Juice Defender or CPU Tuner when my battery is giving me about 12 hours-a-charge (that's using CDMA only, data sync on, SuperDim dialing down my display because that's where most of my battery loss comes from and WiFi turned off). That's not bad for something I use the way I use my laptop.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non