Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Default Re: video chat with the droid 3?

Isn't Google Video Chat available now with the Droid 3 update? I feel like an ***** that I can't find it anywhere. It's not installed or available in the Market.

Quote Originally Posted by fireravenv View Post
    Isn't Google Video Chat available now with the Droid 3 update? I feel like an ***** that I can't find it anywhere. It's not installed or available in the Market.
    I've always ment to try google chat on either my phone or my tablet, but everyone I video chat with uses Skype. So I've never bothered.

-Suntan

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    ROM
    GPA19, CM7.1 xronified

Google Video Chat works fine between the droid 3s. Little choppy but it works.

Looks like ooVoo has added support for the Droid3. I have it on my TBolt. Will be installing on my wife's Droid3 if I can pry it away from her long enough. ooVoo works well between my TBolt and her laptop.

The D3 isn't listed on their websites supported devices page - did you use the X2 link??

IPhone & Android Video chat | ooVoo Mobile Devices

Quote Originally Posted by dRWoodD3 View Post
    The D3 isn't listed on their websites supported devices page - did you use the X2 link??

IPhone & Android Video chat | ooVoo Mobile Devices
    I was looking at the list of supported devices in the Description field when I pulled up ooVoo in Android Market. Don't know if their web site is not being updated regularly or if the app description in the market is wrong. My wife doesn't see any need for it and doesn't want it installed on her phone so I haven't tried to install it from the market on a Droid3. There is also a comment from a Droid3 user in the reviews that mentions it is working but is difficult to IM while video calling because the screen does not rotate to landscape during a video call.

Good info

I rooted my phone a few weeks back, loaded Titanium Backup Pro, created a backup of all programs and data, uninstalled Verizon's version of Skype and loaded the standard version of Skype. Everything works like a charm! Front facing video is excellent!

I've included a copy of a snapshot of a video conversation with myself. (I have two Skype accounts)

One thing to note! I disabled Wi-Fi on my phone prior to this test.

Picture quality is quite impressive. Don't mind my ugly face!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails video chat with the droid 3?-skype-sample.png  

Quote Originally Posted by NormanGC View Post
    I rooted my phone a few weeks back, loaded Titanium Backup Pro, created a backup of all programs and data, uninstalled Verizon's version of Skype and loaded the standard version of Skype. Everything works like a charm! Front facing video is excellent!

I've included a copy of a snapshot of a video conversation with myself. (I have two Skype accounts)

One thing to note! I disabled Wi-Fi on my phone prior to this test.

Picture quality is quite impressive. Don't mind my ugly face!
    Just for clarity, you loaded the standard skype app from the market, or the modified skype app from XDA?

I'm tempted to update to the new one in the market, but I don't want to lose video functionality.

-Suntan

Global Posts
    337 Global Posts

FYI, I'm not sure when it started working, but I just realized that GTalk's video chat now works. I was using it between my D3 and my mom's Thunderbolt. Probably old news.

-SR-

My phone came with the Skype Mobile app and it did in fact refuse to let me use video. I next downloaded Skype (not mobile) and like magic I can do video skype no problem. Now if the phone would only let me dispose of the skype mobile app...sigh.

Not being able to remove apps is the most annoying thing I can think of in the android world. Imagine if you bought a computer and were fored to use the c**p software it came with.

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Just for clarity, you loaded the standard skype app from the market, or the modified skype app from XDA?

I'm tempted to update to the new one in the market, but I don't want to lose video functionality.

-Suntan
    This was the standard version from the market.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12