video chat with the droid 3?

lgGslateuser

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
So my new Droid 3 just arrived today for me and my wife. So far really enjoying the phone. We want try out the video chat feature but I'm sure what app to use. I don't see the option in Google talk or Skype. Can someone point me in the right direction

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
So my new Droid 3 just arrived today for me and my wife. So far really enjoying the phone. We want try out the video chat feature but I'm sure what app to use. I don't see the option in Google talk or Skype. Can someone point me in the right direction

If it is between phone and phone, try quik or fring.

If you can find something to do good chatting with a PC/webcam, let us all know.

-Suntan

lgGslateuser

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Qik force closes eveytime I had to uninstall. Fring worked but picture was upside down and not easy to use. Looks like Tango will do a better job but I really thought that Google talk was supposed to support video in gingerbread. I have it on my xoom and that has the video option but right now my D3 does not.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Qik force closes eveytime I had to uninstall. Fring worked but picture was upside down and not easy to use. Looks like Tango will do a better job but I really thought that Google talk was supposed to support video in gingerbread. I have it on my xoom and that has the video option but right now my D3 does not.
I don't know this for sure, but I believe the Bionic will have GTalk video like the Xoom, but it will take awhile for Google to allow it for the Droid 3 until a bunch of Bionics have been sold. So, it should be updated by Christmas.

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Try Vtok for Gtalk video chat.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

lgGslateuser

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I guess I didn't realize it was phone specific, I just thought it was O.S specific. I have gingerbread on the droid 3 and I thought that's what was the deciding factor in Gtalk video. Well I have tried Tango and that seems pretty straight forward, my test was not great since both phones where in the same room and I got terrible feedback through the phones until i turned off one microphone. I'll try it again with the phones away from each other and see if that works better.

mtva24#WN

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I use either skype or tango for video chat...

you can download skype here

signedcom.skype.raider_2.1.0.46.apk

it only works in landscape mode, they are working on fixing the landscape bug...

Tango works in portrait...

Edit: oh yeah after you download skype, you wanna go to settings, then click enable video calling in order to get your video chat to work

mtva24#WN

May 13, 2011
Visit site
After downloading Skype from the market I went to settings and there NO option for video calls.

of course because that is not the version i put in my above post...the version i posted is not found in android market, i got it from some site called xda-developers.com...you have to go to android central on your phone, go to this thread, click the link in my above post and download that version to your phone

Last edited:

mtva24#WN

May 13, 2011
Visit site
The tip from mtva24 led me to do some digging over at xda-developers (I really should read over there more often.)

Anyway, have a look at this. I'm going to try V10 this evening when I get home (so I can test video calls with the computer.)

Skype 2.1.0.46 (v10) / fixes, extra features & more! - Page 120 - xda-developers

-Suntan

Yup, that is where I got my link from, actually I found that site through androidforums.com, they've been on this for a week now, but It works perfectly with the computer. I was chatting with my wife the other day...The only drawback is that you have to talk in landscape, but this version of skype definitely works on the D3! Enjoy!

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Yup, that is where I got my link from, actually I found that site through androidforums.com, they've been on this for a week now, but It works perfectly with the computer. I was chatting with my wife the other day...The only drawback is that you have to talk in landscape, but this version of skype definitely works on the D3! Enjoy!

Can you confirm it works on 3G as well as Wifi?

I?m stoked. I?ve got a business trip coming up and this will make my packing much easier.

-Suntan

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Just posting to followup that I now have skype fully running on my D3, with video!

This is big bags of awesome as I can now see/tell the kids good night without having to lug the laptop on buisness trips.

-Suntan

lgGslateuser

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I followed the link, downloaded the apk and then installed it. I was not able to 1) log in to my account or 2) creat a new account. So I'm still without skype with video. I hope I can get this figured out or I'll just have to live with Tango.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I followed the link, downloaded the apk and then installed it. I was not able to 1) log in to my account or 2) creat a new account. So I'm still without skype with video. I hope I can get this figured out or I'll just have to live with Tango.

Did you have skype loaded previously? (not the ?Skype Mobile? that came with the phone but the ?Skype? one from the market) You need to uninstall that (can?t uninstall the Skype Mobile so don?t try) and clean out any cached info/settings from it before installing the APK.

I decompressed and loaded the apk in the rar link from the page on XDA I linked to and it worked right off the bat. FWIW, I had to enable one of the settings in the ?advanced settings? tab to make outgoing video work.

-Suntan

mikeyonline

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Skype is a no go for me. tested from my PC to the phone. PC just sits and waits for the video to load from the phone.

Tried qik and that forces closes on me everytime i click on video call.

Going to give tango a call

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital