Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default video chat with the droid 3?

So my new Droid 3 just arrived today for me and my wife. So far really enjoying the phone. We want try out the video chat feature but I'm sure what app to use. I don't see the option in Google talk or Skype. Can someone point me in the right direction

Default Re: video chat with the droid 3?

Quote Originally Posted by lgGslateuser View Post
    So my new Droid 3 just arrived today for me and my wife. So far really enjoying the phone. We want try out the video chat feature but I'm sure what app to use. I don't see the option in Google talk or Skype. Can someone point me in the right direction

If it is between phone and phone, try quik or fring.

If you can find something to do good chatting with a PC/webcam, let us all know.

-Suntan
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Qik force closes eveytime I had to uninstall. Fring worked but picture was upside down and not easy to use. Looks like Tango will do a better job but I really thought that Google talk was supposed to support video in gingerbread. I have it on my xoom and that has the video option but right now my D3 does not.

Global Posts
    924 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ATM

Qik force closes eveytime I had to uninstall. Fring worked but picture was upside down and not easy to use. Looks like Tango will do a better job but I really thought that Google talk was supposed to support video in gingerbread. I have it on my xoom and that has the video option but right now my D3 does not.
    I don't know this for sure, but I believe the Bionic will have GTalk video like the Xoom, but it will take awhile for Google to allow it for the Droid 3 until a bunch of Bionics have been sold. So, it should be updated by Christmas.

Try Vtok for Gtalk video chat.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I guess I didn't realize it was phone specific, I just thought it was O.S specific. I have gingerbread on the droid 3 and I thought that's what was the deciding factor in Gtalk video. Well I have tried Tango and that seems pretty straight forward, my test was not great since both phones where in the same room and I got terrible feedback through the phones until i turned off one microphone. I'll try it again with the phones away from each other and see if that works better.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

I use either skype or tango for video chat...

you can download skype here

it only works in landscape mode, they are working on fixing the landscape bug...

Tango works in portrait...

Edit: oh yeah after you download skype, you wanna go to settings, then click enable video calling in order to get your video chat to work
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

After downloading Skype from the market I went to settings and there NO option for video calls.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

After downloading Skype from the market I went to settings and there NO option for video calls.
    of course because that is not the version i put in my above post...the version i posted is not found in android market, i got it from some site called xda-developers.com...you have to go to android central on your phone, go to this thread, click the link in my above post and download that version to your phone
    Last edited by mtva24; 08-16-2011 at 09:20 PM.

The tip from mtva24 led me to do some digging over at xda-developers (I really should read over there more often.)

Anyway, have a look at this. I'm going to try V10 this evening when I get home (so I can test video calls with the computer.)

-Suntan

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    The tip from mtva24 led me to do some digging over at xda-developers (I really should read over there more often.)

Anyway, have a look at this. I'm going to try V10 this evening when I get home (so I can test video calls with the computer.)

-Suntan

Yup, that is where I got my link from, actually I found that site through androidforums.com, they've been on this for a week now, but It works perfectly with the computer. I was chatting with my wife the other day...The only drawback is that you have to talk in landscape, but this version of skype definitely works on the D3! Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by mtva24 View Post
    Yup, that is where I got my link from, actually I found that site through androidforums.com, they've been on this for a week now, but It works perfectly with the computer. I was chatting with my wife the other day...The only drawback is that you have to talk in landscape, but this version of skype definitely works on the D3! Enjoy!
    Can you confirm it works on 3G as well as Wifi?

I’m stoked. I’ve got a business trip coming up and this will make my packing much easier.

-Suntan

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Can you confirm it works on 3G as well as Wifi?

I’m stoked. I’ve got a business trip coming up and this will make my packing much easier.

-Suntan
    Yeah it works fine on 3G

Just posting to followup that I now have skype fully running on my D3, with video!

This is big bags of awesome as I can now see/tell the kids good night without having to lug the laptop on buisness trips.

-Suntan

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Just posting to followup that I now have skype fully running on my D3, with video!

This is big bags of awesome as I can now see/tell the kids good night without having to lug the laptop on buisness trips.

-Suntan
    lol told ya it was legit!
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

I followed the link, downloaded the apk and then installed it. I was not able to 1) log in to my account or 2) creat a new account. So I'm still without skype with video. I hope I can get this figured out or I'll just have to live with Tango.

I followed the link, downloaded the apk and then installed it. I was not able to 1) log in to my account or 2) creat a new account. So I'm still without skype with video. I hope I can get this figured out or I'll just have to live with Tango.
    Did you have skype loaded previously? (not the “Skype Mobile” that came with the phone but the “Skype” one from the market) You need to uninstall that (can’t uninstall the Skype Mobile so don’t try) and clean out any cached info/settings from it before installing the APK.

I decompressed and loaded the apk in the rar link from the page on XDA I linked to and it worked right off the bat. FWIW, I had to enable one of the settings in the “advanced settings” tab to make outgoing video work.

-Suntan
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Ill give that a try and report back.

Update: your suggestion worked great. Thanks
    Last edited by lgGslateuser; 08-18-2011 at 06:58 PM.

ROM
    GPA19, CM7.1 xronified

Skype is a no go for me. tested from my PC to the phone. PC just sits and waits for the video to load from the phone.

Tried qik and that forces closes on me everytime i click on video call.

Going to give tango a call

Has anyone tried the Yahoo Messaging app with the added on plug-in for video calls?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyonline View Post
    Skype is a no go for me. tested from my PC to the phone. PC just sits and waits for the video to load from the phone.

Tried qik and that forces closes on me everytime i click on video call.

Going to give tango a call
    Go into the "advanced settings" and there are a couple of different options that say "Black Video? Give this a try.." test them out and see if your video starts working. I had to do the second one, “Use valid preview surface” to get the video from my phone working.

-Suntan
    Thanked by:

ROM
    GPA19, CM7.1 xronified

Tango worked like a champ between the wifes phone and mine.
    Randall@Tango likes this.

ive used yahoo messenger with video, only thing is that right now it only allows use of the rear camera but skype has been a no go for me so far.

It's a little disappointing that Skype can't officially support so many phones. I'm going to try the apk file listed above today.
    OG Droid > Moto Droid 3.

Anyone try the "official" Skype that is available for the D3 now?

The sideloaded one from xda-developers has some random glitchiness, so it would be nice if an official one fixed those little gremlins, but I don't really fancy ads unless they are really unobtrusive.

-Suntan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast