Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Default berry 9650 to Droid 3 Struggling

I have a bberry bold 9650 and recently got a D3. I love both devices and really want to stay with the D3 but I am struggling. I have used Android devices before (org. Droid) and others so I am pretty familiar with Android OS. The struggle I have is with reception.....

From time to time my D3 signal level fluctuates and at times drops to 1X. It is not just the indicator either because it becomes pretty slow or stops network activity all together. This happens most often when the unit has be idle for an hour or so.
    My Bold on the other hand holds on to a 3G signal like grim death.

I have lived in the same house for 12 years and have great VZW coverage. I have never had trouble with any other phone??? However, the D3 really struggles on the first floor but does OK up stairs. The Bold is good on both floors????

Do I have defective unit? Any suggestions?

Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Will be rooted

You can try wifi calling if at home. Thats if you have wifi. Thats the only thing i can suggest for when at home.

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts

Default Re: berry 9650 to Droid 3 Struggling

I'd return it. Mine doesn't have any problems with reception - it's as good as my old BB at least - so my hunch is you got a defective one. Good luck!

It could be a defective unit. Go to your phone's settings->about phone->status->signal strength to see the strength of your signal. If it's in the 90+ to 100+ region, compare it with another D3, perhaps at a Verizon store. I had a similar issue with my OG Droid and when I proved the comparably weak signal to them they swapped the phone for me.
    You could also try to update your roaming capabilities by pressing *228 before you take it to a store, sometimes it might be an issue with getting a signal from your nearest towers. Good luck.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

I am the OP. I looked thru a couple of the "sticky" threads in this forum and there are quite a few folks mentioning signal fluctuations and dropping to 1X. Very strange for Moto phone????

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

The new OTA currently out with soak testers is reported to fix the data roaming and battery issues, and I read on another forum (I think XDA) that Motorola phones contain an integrated data and battery manager service, perhaps this also means that signal fluctuations are fixed.

Also, I experienced a similar but slightly different issue recently when I switched to ADW Launcher and put a SwitchPro widget to control my data connections, airplane mode, etc without removing the instance of SwitchPro on the stock launcher. I believe this ended up causing a conflict, and I would see my radio signal randomly disconnect, usually when I initiate a data session or recieve/make a phone call, at the same time, I would see airplane mode on the SwitchPro widget suddently show as active. Perhaps the two instances on different launchers were conflicting and trying to turn on and off airplane mode. Perhaps this is an issue with other switch apps as well. I deleted both instances of SwitchPro, cleared the switchpro data in the android app manager, then uninstalled - reboot - install - reboot and so far I have had no issues with my signal randomly disappearing.