Droid 3 Performance

NormanGC

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I thought I'd share this as I was wondering about the performance of the D3 vs other phones.

The D3 was actually my fourth choice as an android phone. Since last fall I had my sights on the TB and then came the specs for the Bionic. The TB came out and then came the specs for the Bionic. The Incredible II was released and then came the specs for the Bionic. The Droid 3 was released and then came the specs for the Bionic and low and behold the Bionic was released.

When I bought the Droid 3, 2 months ago, there was only two questions that I had and I kept them to myself.

1) Did I make the right choice and 2) how does this phone compare to other high end phones.

Today I searched for Bionic benchmarks and found this.

Benchmarking the Motorola DROID BIONIC

Then I ran my own AnTuTu benchmark. BTW I'm running stock unrooted.
1) I rebooted my phone,
2) I stopped all programs using task manager and left all services running.
3) Ran AnTuTu benchmark v2.3 with the following results:

Ram: 671
CPU Integer: 1139
CPU-Float-point: 1065
2D Graphics: 285
3D Graphics: 1180
Database IO: 370
SD Card Write 14.7MB/s 147
SD Card read 14.5MB/s 145
Total Score: 5002
CPU Frequency: 1000 MHZ
Date 2011-09-25 14.49

When I compare these benchmarks to the ones posted for the Bionic, it becomes apparent to me that the hardware in both phones are practically identical.

The only differences are: 1) Bionic is 4G whereas the D3 is only 3G; 2) the Bionic has a larger screen and 3) the D3 has a physical keyboard.

Aside from that, It's essentially the same phone. After using the D3 for 2 months now, I see absolutely no need for 4G at the present time. My downloads are consistently around 2000kbps downloads on 3G and uploads are consistently around 600kbps. I have no complaints about the screen size.
I think that the feature that really separates the two, is the keyboard. In my opinion, it puts the D3 above any of the other phones that I've looked at so far.

The Samsung Galaxy S II has a faster processor hence it gets approximately 12% better performance. But... It still does not have a physical keyboard.

My conclusion is 'Yes' to both of my questions. The decision is the right one and this phone performs at par with the rest of the top performing smart phones.

Reactions: glockenhammer

glockenhammer

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
NormanGC:
I like your conclusion. I bought a used D3 on eB.. and have been using it strictly on WiFi to see what I think of it as much as possible before activating on Verizon. So far have found nothing to dislike.

patfactorx

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Productivity is enhanced by having a real keyboard. Faster SOC is not as important when ur knocking out emails

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Productivity is enhanced by having a real keyboard. Faster SOC is not as important when ur knocking out emails

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Agreed. I find myself grabbing for my phone as much as for the larger TF tablet if I plan to do any typing.

-Suntan

macten52

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I am surprised that more people haven't jumped on the fact that thet D3 and Bionic share many of the same specs. in particular the very fast processor! Had my D3 little over a month and love the screen and speed. I do occasionsaly have signal drop / fluctuations that others have mentioned.

darthakakios

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I was also waiting for the Bionic. However after my blackberry crashed yet again I was kind of forced into using my upgrade before the Bionic launched. I did go check the specs on both before my 30 day return was up, just in case, but with them being so similar I am pretty happy I stuck with the D3.

NormanGC

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I would like to add to this.

My phone has been off charge for 1d 3h 45m and still has 40% battery left.

I used the phone for a little over 15 minutes, read a Kindle Book for 1 hour, played Sudoku for 1 hour, sent and received 32 messages and replied to 8 e-mails and had 3h and 46 minutes of total time with the screen being on.

Sweet!

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I love the physical keyboard. It's nice to have when I wanna type without looking.

Not only that, but I find it makes the phone much easier to hold/play games on with the keyboard slid out. You don?t get the cramped thumbs from trying to play a game *and* keep the phone from flipping out of your hands at the same time.

-Suntan

NormanGC

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I would like to add to this.

My phone has been off charge for 1d 3h 45m and still has 40% battery left.

I used the phone for a little over 15 minutes, read a Kindle Book for 1 hour, played Sudoku for 1 hour, sent and received 32 messages and replied to 8 e-mails and had 3h and 46 minutes of total time with the screen being on.

Sweet!

Well, I'm tired, it's 12:34 am and my phone is still running! It has been off charge for 1day 14hours and 18minutes and the battery flashed the 15% warning about 15 minutes ago. I would say, that the update works quite well.

I love this phone! Especially the keyboard!

enb123

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree this phone's performance is incredible. When I first got it, I had some homescreen lag, but that was cured by the firmware update, and the thing is just a beast speed-wise. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC