Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What will you do if no ics?

Bit bored and curious, what would you do if we never get any more updates to the d3? Custom rom, nothing, change phones?

Personally I'm getting annoyed at moto for no information what-so-ever about.. Well, anything and i'm looking forward toward that may 3rd announcement by Samsung as my 2-year contract is up on May 7th, not that I'd definitely switch, but I'd think about it seriously

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: What will you do if no ics?

There is nothing wrong with a D3 running Gingerbread - the phone is fine. There may be a few issues here and there, but they are easily avoidable. My phone runs great - why would I spend a lot of money to change it now? So far, there are very, very few ICS-only apps, and they are not anything that I cannot get elsewhere.

Moto still has the Droid 3 in "evaluation and planning" stage for ICS. We know that they ran a soak test for an update, so we know they are working on something. They just did a security update for the D2 (in fact, there was one for the OG Droid several months ago), so we know that they continue to support phones.
    Thanked by:

I don't really care if it gets ICS. The OS version doesn't bother me one way or the other. I have ICS on my tablet and really they don't differ too much in use.

I'm growing more frustrated with things that can't be changed. Not to say the phone is bad. It was great when I first got it and it is still very usable. But it is starting to get long in the tooth.

The 4" screen size is fine, but it could be bigger. The battery life is fine, but it could be longer. The screen is great in the sun, but it could be prettier. The 3G is functional, but 4G is now available in most places I would use it...

Yeah, I'm interested to hear what Samsung has to say this afternoon.

-Suntan

Whether or not I get ICS isn't really the main concern, but I am starting to feel as though Motorola has a "release and forget" policy on their phones. Droid 3 releases, abandoned for newer Droid 4 and Razr. When the Droid 5 comes out, the Droid 4 owners will also feel abandoned. A Razr 2 will come out, etc.
    Motorola Droid III - Stock
    Nook Color - Froyo on microSD card
    Acrobotica.com - Wasting Time since 2010

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts

I'm gonna cut my wrist and hold up a post office until the release ics for Droid 3. Lmao

I'll deal with it, hope the next OS release (any day now) will fix any problems. But then ill upgrade when my contact is up and get something new. Its just a OS, not gonna fork out 250 for a new phone cuz it has ics
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by dcreed View Post
    Whether or not I get ICS isn't really the main concern, but I am starting to feel as though Motorola has a "release and forget" policy on their phones. Droid 3 releases, abandoned for newer Droid 4 and Razr. When the Droid 5 comes out, the Droid 4 owners will also feel abandoned. A Razr 2 will come out, etc.
    This is what motivated me to upgrade to my new nexus, it felt as moto got your cash and left you out to dry

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    MavROM 4.0 (D3)

I though it had been decided already that the D3 wasn't going to recieve ICS... It wasn't on Moto's upgrade list, did that change?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt6996 View Post
    I though it had been decided already that the D3 wasn't going to recieve ICS... It wasn't on Moto's upgrade list, did that change?
    It's listed on Motorola's upgrade list as under "evaluation and planning" - the same status as the Droid Bionic, Droid Razr series (as opposed to the non-US Razr, which has a date), and the Droid 4, all of which have been definitively promised ICS upgrades (though just because it is the same status, it does not mean that the D3 will get ICS...)

Here is the page with the official status: https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

Well, now you can do whatever you were going to do if the D3 does not get an official ICS build, because we now know that it is not getting an ICS build from Motorola - the D3 will stay on Gingerbread.

See https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    Well, now you can do whatever you were going to do if the D3 does not get an official ICS build, because we now know that it is not getting an ICS build from Motorola - the D3 will stay on Gingerbread.

See https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c
    To say I'm annoyed is a bit of an understatement. There's great ICS custom ROMs but the wi-fi is still pretty unstable (lots of drops) and stuff like Chrome Beta doesnt work. I was hoping that the official ICS upgrade would help the devs out.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Just upgraded to the Galaxy Nexus yesterday by opening a new line. I upgraded to the Droid 3 from the Blackberry Storm 2. Another phone that was release just because with no support from the manufacturer. Don't get me wrong, the D3 is an excellent phone, but the things that ruined it for me was 1.) they need to unlock the bootloaders, because ICS runs pretty good, and the devs would be able to add the finishing touches 2.) the Droid 4 release was completely bogus 3.) again, 0 support from Moto or VZW. From this point forward it is Nexus or bust for me.