How do I clear my outbox?

Robin Greenberg

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Several weeks a go, I sent an email with photo attachments from my phone to one of my email account as a way to pull off photos taken with my camera and save them on a desktop computer. Since then, I several received dozens of copies of the emails, each with some or none of the photos and often the photos are corupted. The origanl email appears in my Outbox but when I try to delete it, I get the following message "Cannot open message Message has been sent and is unable to be opened." Thoughout the day, in addition to getting partial copies of the email, I get "message not sent" error messages for the email. How to stop this cycle and erase this email??? I have repeatively restarted my phone hoping that it would help without success.

I have a Motorola Droid 3 phone runing on Android version 2.3.4.

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
There is only going to be one way to clear this up as I suggested to one other member yesterday. Backup your phone first, Delete your current email acct from your phone. Restart your phone and then re add you email acct back onto the phone and that should clear this up. Thank you for the question. :)

kedraw2013

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Saw this easy fix on another forum: Set phone to airplane mode (so it isn't sending things) and open the outbox. Open and close the 'stuck' messages. In airplane mode the messages will be moved to 'Draft' folder. Simply delete the messages from Drafts. Turn the Airplane mode back off and you are ready to go! Worked for me...

Carl Riis

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Clearing frozen or outbox messages on droid phones

You do not have to clear your account from your Droid. I'm sure that works but then you need all your passwords to reactivate etc. Airplane mode is a far better solution. Simply slide home screen to the right and click airplane mode to on. Go to email click your address at top and select all folders. Select outbox. Click and hold frozen email message and you will be allowed to edit it. At lower right click settings or look for prompt to save as a draft. This should remove it from the out box - Go to drafts and delete. Close out box go back to settings screen and turn off airplane mode and you are all set! Worked for my Droid HD Razor Maxx

Jim Cote

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I had accepted an appointment in my droid calendar. It converted to an email and went to my outbox. Because it did not have an email address associated with it, it locked my email outbox. I could not access the message to delete it.
AIRPLANE MODE....Yes the airplane mode worked as you described. I was able to get rid of the unsendable message so the others could be sent.
I do agree Outlook and Droid don't get along. I am forced to only accept appointments in outlook on the computer.
Thanks for the post. It was exactly what I needed.

Linda Whitlow

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I have 2 messages in the Outbox. I keep getting message that they are being sent, can't open. Problem is that they won't send and whenever I open the Outbox, they start sending again. How do I delete them?

David Draggoo

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
GREAT SOLUTION! Thanks. I have an Android Razr HD, and tried to send to photos in two separate units (can't remember if it was via email or text), and they both locked up for over a week. When I would open my email outbox, they were still stuck there (so I guess I sent them as emails - duh!). When I tried to open them to delete them, I too got the message that they were being sent and couldn't be stopped.

Following this suggestion, I turned on Airplane Mode, and then I could delete them right from the outbox. Great solution, though not very intuitive, but much easier than deleting the account and reloading it.

Marla Abell

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I did the recommended steps to get stuck email out of outbox to drafts however now when I try to delete it from drafts while still in airplane mode on my razr hd max it just shows the circle and please wait - been in this mode for over 10 minutes now what should I do :(

nstock_gb

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
hi

Only worked for me when, after putting it into airplane mode, I did a full restart.

Still far quicker than deleting the email account an re-entering it and also seems like much less of a sledgehammer to crack a nut solution.

cheers