Any one interested in the Droid 3?

lwlamar

May 9, 2011
Visit site
My perception is the original (OG) Droids have held up well since their 2009 release. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the D3 the first android device to reach the 3rd generation of build by the same manufacturer? If that is true, Motorola should have almost all the kinks ironed out by now and the D3 should be the Accord/Camry of reliability and durability. With the hardware and software upgrades, this should be a very good 3G phone. I am interested.

f150fan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
There is no doubt in my mind that this will be an extremely solid 3G device. The dual core OMAP is a beast of a processor and the Moto's build quality is excellent. I personally cannot wait to hear more about it and actually get to use one to see if this is my next upgrade. I've been rocking the DX since launch last year, OG Droid before that, and I'm ready for an upgrade. This is looking extremely promising.

shahm0nsterr#AC

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I saw one site posting an article with the title something similar to "motorola droid 3 DOA?"
Yes it may not be the most powerful/perfect device one can hope for, but to me, the form factor of the Droid line is one of the best out there.
Just because a device doesn't have every single new feature (4g, ect) does not by any means it will be DOA.
I believe the fact the droid has reached the third generation a testament to how well the line is doing. Not everyone needs a phone with a tv sized screen, some actually use them for business and do not need the extremely power hungry 4g radio.
I am very interested in the Droid 3!

f150fan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
@ shahm0sterr

Agreed. I will still be considering the Bionic but I too am still very interested in what the Droid 3 offers.

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
My perception is the original (OG) Droids have held up well since their 2009 release. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the D3 the first android device to reach the 3rd generation of build by the same manufacturer? If that is true, Motorola should have almost all the kinks ironed out by now and the D3 should be the Accord/Camry of reliability and durability. With the hardware and software upgrades, this should be a very good 3G phone. I am interested.

You are absolutely right
The Droid by Motorola is the first Android Device to actually reach a 3rd Generation , even in other OSs its very rare to find a device reaches a 3rd Generation & here is the list :
- iPhone >> iPhone 3G >> iPhone 3GS >> iPhone 4
- Droid >> Droid 2 ( >> Droid 2 Global) >> Droid 3
- HTC HD >> HTC HD2 >> HD7 (& still the HD7 have allot of hardware issues)

Now the Droid 3 have an all new design , but still looks familiar & you can recognize as a Droid immediately (Think iPhone 4 & 3GS , different , but the same)
& whole new hardware , Unlike the Droid 2 which upgraded few things & left the rest

Add to that Motorola's build Quality & you got your self one cool phone

the Droid 3 should be the Ford* of reliability and durability , just like the OG Droid (a gimpse of what my MileStone went through :http://forum.androidcentral.com/994986-post4.html)

* I mentioned Ford , because of my experiences with the Explorer which is the opposite of what i had with the camrys

f150fan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Good thing I am a Ford fan IceDree, not sure if you could tell or not. :)

I agree with you guys on this. The latest version of the Droid pays great homage to the OG Droid. It looks amazing so far. I am really excited for the official list of specs and an official release date. This could be my next device.

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Good thing I am a Ford fan IceDree, not sure if you could tell or not. :)

I agree with you guys on this. The latest version of the Droid pays great homage to the OG Droid. It looks amazing so far. I am really excited for the official list of specs and an official release date. This could be my next device.

The name gave you away :;)
"f150fan" , keyword f150 (thats one cool truck :cool:-especially the Raptor & the Harley- variants)

In the Droid manner , I totally agree with you
I can't wait for the official list of specs & release date (I hope it gets released before the end of July)

The thing is , the other Motorola phones (The Atrix & the Photon) are very tempting :confused:
all of them are great phones
Which makes picking my next phone allot harder , its hard already !!!!

f150fan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I would love to drive a Raptor, especially the latest version of it. But that is a whole different story. :cool:

My brother has an Atrix and it seems to be built rather well. It doesn't have the whole heft you get with a Droid branded device but still feels incredibly sturdy in the hand. It is very comfortable to hold and has a pretty weight to it. It is also very "pocket-able" (Is that a word yet?). I like the more rounded edges of the Atrix better but the design of the Photon is not terrible by any means.

These are all great devices. I will be sticking with Verizon because of the solid network, well, solid voice and 3G network as of now. I know that once all the bug are worked out with LTE it will be the way to go. I will be choosing between the Droid 3 and the Droid Bionic most likely. I have to try to determine which phone will better suite my needs for the next year. I may not even go that long before my next upgrade but I have been able to hold on to my Droid X for about a year now, which is impressive for me, but also speaks for how great the device is itself.

Reactions: IceDree

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I would love to drive a Raptor, especially the latest version of it. But that is a whole different story. :cool:

My brother has an Atrix and it seems to be built rather well. It doesn't have the whole heft you get with a Droid branded device but still feels incredibly sturdy in the hand. It is very comfortable to hold and has a pretty weight to it. It is also very "pocket-able" (Is that a word yet?). I like the more rounded edges of the Atrix better but the design of the Photon is not terrible by any means.

Thank your for sharing your thoughts about the Atrix
The Atrix a great phone , so as the Photon in it own ways , I think of it like :
- Atrix : The Sleeper (Taurus SHO ,94 Impala SS)
- Photon : The Exotic (Saleen S7)
- Droid 3 : The New-Era Muscle (SVT Shelby GT500 Super Snake , Hemi 392Cu.)
- Droid X : The eXtreme monster (The Raptor R , the SRT10 512Cu.)

All of them are are great phones
with great specs & allot of power under the hood
The DROID BIONIC is an awesome phone , but if no GSM bands (World\Global phone) , its gonna be about of the equation for me , like the Droid X (Man I love that phone)

Imma wait & see if the Photon & the Droid 3 (Off-Contract , off course) can be used as stand alone GSM phone outside the States with whatever SIM i put in it
If it can't be used like that , I'll have to wait & see the European MileStone 3 before I get an Atrix* or a HD7*

I know you probably wonder , why do I need a "World\Global phone" !
I live in Saudi Arabia & we use INT' GSM bands only here (AT&T phones works fine here , unlike T-Mobile's)

" "pocket-able" (Is that a word yet?) " I use this term ALLOT

& for the Raptor R :
I would love to drive one in MOAB desert :p

Any Moto i pick will replace my MileStone (as a "daily driver" -Is that a word yet?- \Main phone) , but if i went with the HD7 I'll keep my MileStone as my daily driver & use the HD7 with my 2nd SIM card

Last edited:

f150fan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you on what you just said. I think that the Milestone 3 would probably be a better fit for you. It will be a global phone. Verizon will not allow any SIM card work in the US and will want it to work on their CDMA network. The next couple of weeks will be nice. There should be plenty of info coming soon. Most rumors point to a July 7 release of the Droid 3 on Verizon. As said before time will tell.

If you run a Raptor out there that would definitely be a worthwhile test!

darkmatter

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
We're getting raptors in the border patrol, though I haven't driven one yet. Right now it seems only the specialized units are getting them, like BORTAC.

f150fan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
It looks like the Motorola Xoom 4G LTE (new tablet or just a normal Xoom with LTE on board) and the Motorola Droid 3 have been added to Verizon's MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) list. This is another pretty good sign that a launch should happen rather soon. Also, we've now seen what Verizon's tiered data plan will now look like. Not that bad if I can keep it under 2 GB when I go to LTE eventually but if I have to go to 5 GB wow, that will suck.

Now if we could just get a launch date on the Droid 3 with some official US specs to clarify any confusion that would be great. And hell, why not throw out the Droid Bionic info in there too.

butler360

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Now I may be interested in the Droid 3, as long as is comes in before the tiered data cutoff.
Also if it has an unlocked bootloader.

So... looks like I'm either not upgrading or going to Sprint, because I doubt both of those will happen.

f150fan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Do you have Verizon now or are you looking to sign up with them? Just sounds like you are on another carrier from your comments. If you are on Verizon already you should not have to change your plan from what it currently is if you will be upgrading from a smartphone plan. That is the impression that the article from Droid Life is giving off. I usually do not root my devices since they do everything that I need them to right out of the box so the bootloader is not an issue with me. Time will tell though.

butler360

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
On Verizon now, but if I want an upgraded phone without paying full price I'm assuming they'll force me onto a tiered plan.

And after seeing what Cyanogenmod to do to an EVO or Nook Color I don't want something with a locked bootloader.

f150fan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
On Verizon now, but if I want an upgraded phone without paying full price I'm assuming they'll force me onto a tiered plan.

And after seeing what Cyanogenmod to do to an EVO or Nook Color I don't want something with a locked bootloader.

I wouldn't be so sure with that. Anytime that I have renewed my contract they have never asked me to change my plan. I believe their policy is that if you are a current customer and renew your contract they do not make you change to a current plan. I am pretty certain that you can keep your current plan. That would be great for all of us. You should check out these links that probably say what I am saying better.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/droid-bionic/95468-if-true-we-can-all-stick-our-original-plans.html

Exclusive: Tiered Data Plans Headed to Verizon July 7, Packages Start at $30 for 2GB - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Reactions: butler360

butler360

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't be so sure with that. Anytime that I have renewed my contract they have never asked me to change my plan. I believe their policy is that if you are a current customer and renew your contract they do not make you change to a current plan. I am pretty certain that you can keep your current plan. That would be great for all of us. You should check out these links that probably say what I am saying better.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/droid-bionic/95468-if-true-we-can-all-stick-our-original-plans.html

Exclusive: Tiered Data Plans Headed to Verizon July 7, Packages Start at $30 for 2GB - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I'm not so sure, that's why I'm assuming. ;)
Although Verizon is pretty evil, so you never know.

That sounds hopeful though. If that's the case I will probably stay. Now I just need to know about that bootloader...

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
That?s not my experience. Twice I have upgraded/renewed my contract right after they made significant changes to their national plans and each time the person has explained to me that there were ?technical? reasons why we had to update to the new plans.

Not saying this time won?t be different, but Verizon has a vested interest in getting *all* their customers switched over to their most current plans whenever possible.

-Suntan

f150fan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site