Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Phil Nickinson
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,042 Global Posts

Default [ROOT] How to root the Droid 4

Windows only for now, but it's quick and painless.

1. Put your phone in USB debugging mode.
    2. Connect your Droid 4 to the computer via USB
    3. Make sure you have the latest drivers and what-not (get them here if you don't)
    4. Download Dan Rosenberg's exploit
    5. Extract to a folder, and double-click run.bat.

That's it. Easy as pie. And (cough) free.
    Thanked by 2:
    Renee09 likes this.

Default Re: [ROOT] How to root the Droid 4

I have tried to root my phone but it will not root. I followed all the directions and ran and administrator when i run it it says it failed to do every thing
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have tried it like cmonson91 but is getting the same message. Anyone has an answers?

All right im not a complete noob at this but i need some help: I would like to get the Mac version of this but for some reason when i download it from the website it does not include the adb.osx file which im assuming is the mac version of adb.exe and when i execute "./run.sh" it goes crazy trying to find the file. Im not sure why it is not included or if i have to some how convert the adb.exe file to .osx which im pretty sure is impossible.
    Thanks.

Great writeup, this is what I used on my Droid 4.

How about unrooting if you need to return your phone? I would love to try this, but want to be sure it is reversible. I suppose a master reset would do it, no? Cheers

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

I have the same question. From what I've read, you do a Nandroid backup?

But to do a Nandroid backup, you have to first root the phone? So won't the backup be also rooted?

How do you unroot now that it's rooted? I've rooted so that I can move all my files back from the old droid and want to unroot now.

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

I think this unroots?

goto Goo.im Downloads - Browsing mattlgroff
    and download "Droid4Utility0.3.zip"

I'm new to the whole smart phone droid world... What does root do? why should I root the phone and will it help me with mobile hotspot?
    TIA
    chris

I have tried a bunch of different ways to root my droid 4 on my mac but still get the "No such file or directory" Are there any other ways to root it? Can I root it any other way?

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by 4jws View Post
    I have tried a bunch of different ways to root my droid 4 on my mac but still get the "No such file or directory" Are there any other ways to root it? Can I root it any other way?
    I used my friend's mac to root my Droid 4. It does work but it's a little tricky. Just download the files from Dan Rosenberg's website, and then open terminal on a mac and invoke ./run.sh from a shell. It took me all of 15min. Good luck

Rooting app is not moving past *daemon started successfully*. Any suggestions? (I'm in debugging, charge only mode, and connected via USB)

after success in rooting do you uncheck the usb debugging option?

After successfully extracting the Dan Rosenberg's exploit.zip , and running the run.bat and adb.exe, it went thru the processes and said complete, rebooted my phone and all, but I see nothing different, no SuperUser installed, nothing. Tried to download an app for only rooted users and no luck, said phone didn't have root access. I'm no rookie @ this either.. I hack/mod Droid X, X2, iPhone's and was the first person to turn a Sprint iPhone4S into an AT&T iPhone4S, fully functional [which on plenty of forums tell you that is impossible.. it's not! (will post how I did it some day here shortly.. Just became a member... BUT....So I know what I'm doing here, yet having no luck. Any advice?

Did not work, getting same message as everyone else.

what do we do after we click the link to get the drivers

[TOOL][ROOT/UnROOT][Razr] EternityProject EasyRootICS v1.5 [Win/Linux] - xda-developers

I had the same problems this worked GREAT!!! May have to finger and play around like me.....but I got it!!!!! Good Luck!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

can't get the link to the exploit to work?

I got the exact same response when trying to root my Droid 4. Not understanding the problem. I have the latest drivers installed and USB debugging enabled. So frustrating.

i keep trying to root my droid 4
    i did all the stuff and it said on the first it said failed to put motofail in data/local/motofail by not allowed to do so this is my first root am i doing something worng