Keyboard Backlight Issues

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Anyone having any issues with their keyboard backlight? Mine is very inconsistent, goes off, comes on, goes off, etcetera, while I am typing on it. Very irritating. I've tried figuring out if there's a light sensor somewhere I am blocking / not blocking but can't seem to find any consistency in when it comes on, or goes off.

Anyone else? Any thoughts?

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Btw. Nothing to worry about. Its an awesome phone. Just picked one up for my wife. Makes me miss the glory days of the OG. Im on Bionic currently... can't justify upgrading since its not a "huge" upgrade. Keyboard is incredible.

No offense, but what's 'nothing to worry about' for you is a 'significant annoyance' to me - which is why I asked about it. I've tried adjusting my grip in various ways and still get the same thing.

Ideally i would just set it to always be lit when I open the keyboard, regardless of the ambient light, but I can't seem to find a setting for that either.

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
"Nothing to worry about" means its not a problem or issue with the software/hardware.

"No offense" but its an operator problem

Well, it's an issue for me. Enough so that I'm considering returning the phone and going back to something else. Operator problem or no, it's happening and I find it to be a major annoyance, and nothing I've tried stops it from happening.

So 'no offense' but thanks for a useless response. I'm not sure how you can say it's not a hardware or software problem - I can list several potential causes for this issue; for example: bad connection when the keyboard is open, bad software detecting ambient light, bad ambient light sensor. Something's not working right, otherwise it wouldn't repeatedly go on and off (at the very least, it should consistently be one or the other).

What, am I 'holding it wrong?'

sj993

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Maybe try going to your local Verizon store and testing out their demo to see if does the same thing. If so, possibly exchange it for another one?

Just a thought...

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
What a baby. You don't deserve any help.

n00b:confused:

Calm down. I've seen plenty of keyboard lighting problems on two moto phones so far. It's something they definitely don't have the kinks worked out on yet, so don't be blaming the user.

Rory.Gibb

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
> Anyone having any issues with their keyboard backlight?
> Anyone else? Any thoughts?

Have you tried using keyboard in -full- light and in the dark? I noticed the same issue you mentioned with my phone but realized I was in just the right level of light to trigger the backlight on/off if the phone was tilted away or toward a light source.

It appears there is one light sensor - the one to the right of the front speaker. Tested by simply blocking light from the sensor and watching the keyboard backlight turn on & off when light restored.

johnnieeve

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I spent quite a bit of time inputting some information over a three day span. The backlight came on, went off and pretty much did it's thing on a random basis. Sitting in my living room, daylight hours and night conditions. It came on and went off about the same day or night.
The backlight on is excellent under ANY lighting conditions, I wish it would just stay on all the time. Or, at least have the option to leave on or off.
I could not find any information on this. Could be a deal breaker for me.

jcrome04

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site

Have you tried using keyboard in -full- light and in the dark? I noticed the same issue you mentioned with my phone but realized I was in just the right level of light to trigger the backlight on/off if the phone was tilted away or toward a light source.

It appears there is one light sensor - the one to the right of the front speaker. Tested by simply blocking light from the sensor and watching the keyboard backlight turn on & off when light restored.

Bingo!

WilburNJ

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

I too find it annoying that the backlight goes off so easily (same for the 4 capacitive buttons at the bottom of the phone, for that matter). There are times when the ambient lighting is dark enough for me to want the keyboard lit up, but the light sensor doesn't seem to agree.

I wish there was a setting or smart action that let's you make the backlighting go on whenever the screen is on. Or a setting that let's you just adjust the backlighting manually, like on a Macbook....

I love this device otherwise. :)

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

pbellsound

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Hello! I am new to this place, this is my post number one.

I too have a Droid4 (my first "smart" phone) with a few issues and a search led me to this forum.

I think I can help with the backlighting going out. The rear facing camera is the light sensor for the backlights. While you're using the keyboard, your hand may be covering and un-covering the camera eye.

As the eye is in the black border of the screen, I'm gonna put a dot of electrical tape on it. I'd like my backlighting to be on when the phone is in use.

The backlighting for the keyboard goes out when it's closed.

I suppose the backlights go out to conserve battery power.

Rory.Gibb

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
> The rear facing camera is the light sensor for the backlights.
> While you're using the keyboard, your hand may be covering and
> un-covering the camera eye.

Hi, are you sure about that? I just had to test... :)

I point the Droid 4 at a window (it's sunny), keyboard exposed, holding Droid on the right side as if I am going to take a photo, keyboard backlight is off. With one finger I block the sensor on the front of Droid, just to the right of front speaker, keyboard backlight illuminates. Remove finger blocking front sensor, backlight off. Block entire rear-facing camera area (sensor, lense), backlight still off. Block front sensor, backlight on.

Seems like the front sensor controls keyboard backlighting.

I do wish there was a software solution to this - I also would like the keyboard light to be on or off (or auto), user choice. :)

pbellsound

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
A few days ago, I went to my Verizon store to order a replacement as my earpiece is 90% dead by me dropping the phone.

The guy at this store is a total Android geek. He says the sensor is actually a tiny dot next to the earpiece, not the rear facing camera.

There is no way to adjust it's settings.

He also showed me a facial recognition/auto un-lock feature that'll soon be available.

He also says there's some Android features that work with non-qwerty phones that won't work with the D4.

Reactions: Rory.Gibb

TerryRR

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
No way its a dot by the earpiece...its too easy to test by blocking the camera lens. Works every time. Blocking around the earpiece does nothing.

Small sticker over the camera is the way to go. Hopefully there will be a fix at some point.

Edaber2

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I too ...thought it was a broken issue with this new Droid4 I got last week....thanx to those of you that suggested putting tape on the front facing camera....it does solve the "issue". But now the tape must be removed to function. Hopefully there will be a update that will allow us to manipulate the shutoff timing... I do agree its anoying as heck.

fuddster

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Sensors are halfway between the earpiece and the camera. No need to block the camera with tape.

This is a picture of my D4 with the sensors circled.

Reactions: jma821

msvin626

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi, Don't want to put the blame on anyone except the manufacturer. I just got a Droid 4 and about 2 weeks ago noticed an issue with the backlight on the keyboard. It was not operating consistently. Sometimes its on for the entire use, and other times its not even lit when I slide the keyboard out. Really random. I called Verizon and they wanted to give me the same phone refurbed, but I want to know if this is going to be a problem again if get the Droid 4 model. Anyway, when I was on with tech, they got a Droid 4 from the lab and tested with me, well what do you know, the same thing was happening to the tech guy ...he indicated with out actually stating it...(cause call was being recorded and I guess he likes his job) that it appeared to be a defect....he immediately called Motorola who wanted no part of it and told tech to just give me another Droid 4 refurbed. I'm angry!!...Well, I think this is going to be a big problem for them....if they get massive complaints on this issue, it will be a deal breaker. So now what? I am hoping that tech will replace it with another smartphone with similar features...to be continued. But I would love to know who else is having the issue and would like a suggestion for a replacement phone. And, please don't say IPhone 4S..Verizon already told me that's not an option.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci