Current owners, how is the battery life?

The Droid Shnoid

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a D3 and was a little disappointed when VZW and Moto pumped out the next model so quickly after bring the D3 to market. That was tempered by the fact that there is in no LTE yet in my area, and the small capacity non-removable battery.

The battery is really the issue for me (I know LTE will be here sooner or later)... Battery life is my only real gripe about Android in general. I am not a power user any longer, but I have upgraded my D3 to the bigger battery, and even being on the 3G network, I can still easily burn through the battery if I get too carried away and sloppy with what I have left running in the background.

So, all that to ask, how is everyone getting along with their battery life? I fear that I'd be constantly searching for a charger with this phone by mid day... Any one making it through the day without recharging consistently?

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a D3 and was a little disappointed when VZW and Moto pumped out the next model so quickly after bring the D3 to market.

There was a 7 month gap between the D3 and the D4. True, that's a bit faster than previous gaps (OG to D2 was 10 months, D2 to D3 was 11 months), but it was to be expected. Verizon launched their flagship slider for 2010 a full 7 months after they launched LTE service, yet it didn't have LTE capabilities. They were (rightly) pilloried for doing so, and Verizon still didn't have a high-end LTE slider until over a year after launching LTE handsets.

Let's be honest, the D4 should have been released 4-6 months ago. Certainly launching in November with the RAZR should have been possible, but I'm guessing that they held it back deliberately so as to not mess with D3 owners (like they did with Bionic owners when the RAZR launched).

rydo88

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
As with everyone above, battery life is pretty good. I'm usually in a 3G only area and get 12 hours plus easily. 4G eats battery, but I haven't noticed it affecting battery life under normal usage (downloading everything in sight did drain it though).

jerry 12

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a D3 and was a little disappointed when VZW and Moto pumped out the next model so quickly after bring the D3 to market. That was tempered by the fact that there is in no LTE yet in my area, and the small capacity non-removable battery.

The battery is really the issue for me (I know LTE will be here sooner or later)... Battery life is my only real gripe about Android in general. I am not a power user any longer, but I have upgraded my D3 to the bigger battery, and even being on the 3G network, I can still easily burn through the battery if I get too carried away and sloppy with what I have left running in the background.

So, all that to ask, how is everyone getting along with their battery life? I fear that I'd be constantly searching for a charger with this phone by mid day... Any one making it through the day without recharging consistently?

So far battery life has been good but the real test will start tomorrow , tonight i had my old phone number put on it the Razr Maxx & before i just had a secondary number put on it while i played with it to learn how to operate the beast. :eek:

RoninX

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is excellent with moderate usage, though heavy use of LTE can drain the battery quickly.

On a typical day, I get around 20 hours from a charge with frequent email checking (Touchdown polling every 10 min), light web surfing, occasional calls and texts, and various simple apps. This is on either 4G or WiFi with completely stock settings and nothing disabled.

On the other hand, streaming HD video continuously over 4G or playing hardcore 3D games like Dead Space, I only get about 5 hours.

Works for me, but it depends on how you plan to use your phone...

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: The Droid Shnoid

Rory.Gibb

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
> So, all that to ask, how is everyone getting along with their battery life?
> I fear that I'd be constantly searching for a charger with this phone by mid
> day... Any one making it through the day without recharging consistently?

With my previous over/under-clocked Original Droid, had to charge it while at work (listening to music, email, phone calls). With Droid 4 and same use - I don't even bother to charge it while at work. If I arrive with full charge, I leave with 70% charged.

k1ick

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Just joined to answer this question, anyway just got the Droid 4 a few days ago and i have to say that the battery life is pretty decent (better then expected). It basically lasts me through most of the day (around the 10 hours) with moderate usage and i have to charge it in the afternoon and night for the next day.

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Any other input/comments on the Droid 4 battery life? Verizon is having a sale for "leap day" where you get an extra $100 off of LTE devices, which puts the D4 at $99. Barring something crazy coming up I'm probably going to go for it.

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine for about 5 days now. The battery life is better than I expected, but my expectations were pretty low. When I use it just for texting or light web browsing, I end the day with 30% or more of the battery left. (I don't have much that's doing background syncing installed yet.) When I stream media, or do anything that uses pushes the LTE radio, you can practically watch the battery meter drain. The Smart Actions thing actually helps a lot. While I'd certainly prefer a bigger or replaceable battery, I'm actually relatively happy with it.

So about that $100 off, is it possible to get Verizon to refund the different to someone who just bought the phone? I know most companies will do that, but I wasn't sure about Verizon.

Last edited:

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the double post, but wanted draw attention to this...

Verizon did refund the difference in price for me. You have to be within your 14 day return window, and you have to do it the same way you bought the phone (i.e. in store, customer service if online/telesales).

jordanmarx

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the droid 4 for a while now, and am digging the battery life. Of course, I am coming over from a Thunderbolt, so any improvement is awesome, but I am a heavy user, and find that I don't have to worry about an expanded battery with the Droid 4. Granted, I still like to keep chargers around (force of habit from my Thunderbolt era), but the battery level indicator creeps down a lot slower than I am used to that's for sure.

atminside

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Battery life lasts me all day, using it to email, text, web browse and those sorts of things. If you start playing any graphically intensive game (see Angry Birds, Drag Racing etc), it starts to eat away though.

This is with 4G on, Wi-Fi off, gps off, and Bluetooth off.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I get a full day, but Ive got the smart action app set up to shut everything down when the screen times out. It stops date, sync, and any push emails. Calls and texts still come through but it really extends the battery life.

tliebeck

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
I manage a full day of moderate use, even with an hour or two of time spent using the phone with the screen on. I'd call the battery life very reasonable, but not extraordinary. I don't use any battery management apps or tools other than our own product which records CPU use by application (and haven't seen anything bad happen there).

bgeoghegan

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Battery life on mine is about the same as my earlier D2 and D2G. There's no need to constantly look for charge opportunities but you don't want to be too casual about the battery. I charge everyday when sync'ing podcasts. That's sometimes all that's needed as long as WiFi and 4G are turned off overnight. Figure on charging more if you put much time into Angry Birds or other game video.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol