1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Droid 4 screen shutting off and troubles unlocking

I have noticed lately that my screen will randomly shut off even when I am navigating in an app. Occasionally it happens multiple times in a minute, then I slide open the phone and close again, and it works fine. I also have an issue, and it's often only when it's plugged in, that when I try to unlock using my pattern, it basically skips and quits tracking my finger partially through, thus making it a failed try. Again, if I slide the phone open, it seems to help.

Anyone else experiencing this? Can it be fixed? I have not modified my phone at all, but this is really annoying. I love the phone otherwise.

Default Re: Droid 4 screen shutting off and troubles unlocking

Ya I have the second problem quite often. I don't really know how to fix it but its very annoying. I have never had the first one though so idk if its only your phone or not. Also kind of unrelated but for some reason i have noticed that often my phone will randomly vibrate for no apparent reason i don't know if it is only my phone or if other people are having the same issue but i thought that this would be a good place to ask. thx

I don't have any of the issues you both have described. My D4 has been trouble-free, knock wood.

Hope you both figure out what's wrong and are able to correct the issues.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

I recently started having the screen shutoff issue as well. It's only started within the past week. I did a complete reboot of the phone (I almost never power it off) and I haven't seen it since, but that doesn't mean that it's gone. I'll let you know if I find anything else out.
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,119 Global Posts

no issues here, one of the more solid droids ive owned

I do experience the screen shutting off (even while actively touching it) but it is due to a conflict between the screen locking app "Go Locker" and the stock screen lock. So the OP said the phone has not been modified, mine has been changed a bit.

It's like both screen locks are running at same time, with Go Locker in the 'foreground' responding to screen touch/unlocks and stock locker in the background, oblivious to any touch. Doing a task kill on Go Locker (it starts back up immediately) seems to work around the issue. Problem only starts after a reboot. After the initial task kill, all is well. Mildly irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmcferrin View Post
    I recently started having the screen shutoff issue as well. It's only started within the past week. I did a complete reboot of the phone (I almost never power it off) and I haven't seen it since, but that doesn't mean that it's gone. I'll let you know if I find anything else out.
    Nope, I've had it again since. And I don't have any third-party launchers, lockers, etc.

If you have the setting checked to turn the screen off when in your pocket, disable it. I had the same issue with the screen turning off while using the phone and it stopped once I unchecked that.

Quote Originally Posted by motorcycle_monkey View Post
    I also have an issue, and it's often only when it's plugged in, that when I try to unlock using my pattern, it basically skips and quits tracking my finger partially through, thus making it a failed try. Again, if I slide the phone open, it seems to help.
    I don't think it is due to being plugged in OR having the keyboard closed. I experience this all the time - but only when the screen is lying flat on a horizontal surface. What about you? The biggest modification to my phone is the Verizon offered screen protector. No custom lock screens, etc.

Does anyone experience their D4 randomly restarting? I've noticed mine restarts if Pandora or 8tracks is running and it's placed face down.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Still been experiencing the issues. Prushing, I did have that checked, so just unchecked it, will report back on that soon. It would skip around on the unlock in any position the phone was in. Sometimes would happen while not plugged in.

Cheers.

I have these problems, the screen turning off while im using it and not being able to unlock it with my pattern while it is plugged in.

Smile Re: Droid 4 screen shutting off and troubles unlocking

Quote Originally Posted by prushing View Post
    If you have the setting checked to turn the screen off when in your pocket, disable it. I had the same issue with the screen turning off while using the phone and it stopped once I unchecked that.
    I just got my phone on Tuesday and this started happening about 2 days ago. I remember that I enabled that setting, so I just disabled it. Hopefully that will help. I was having the same issues as the OP. I was trying to get my widgets setup last night and the screen turned off about 6 times in a row before I gave up. I was just getting ready to take it back to Verizon this morning, but I'm going to try this first. I'm already p!ssed enough at Verizon.

I was having the same issue once I enabled "In-Pocket detection", once I disabled problem went away.