[HOW TO] Restore your Motorola Droid 4 to stock [Windows Only]

55willow

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
These fastboot files allow you to recover a bricked device/return to stock on your Motorola Droid 4.

***PRECAUTIONS***
THIS WILL ONLY WORK ON ANDROID 2.3.6 GINGERBREAD DEVICES.
DO NOT FLASH IF YOU HAVE UPGRADED TO ANDROID 4.0 ICS.
YOUR DEVICE MUST BE FULLY CHARGED PRIOR TO FLASHING.
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

If you notice a broken link, please let me know in this thread or send me a PM and I will fix it ASAP.

Android 2.3.6 System Version 6.13.219
VRZ_XT894_6.5.1-167_DR4-1_M1-219_1FF_01 (1.18GB)
MD5: 7F04ACD2FE4C48493EFA88F7C5159B90
DOWNLOAD (MIRRORS: 1, 2)

Android 2.3.6 System Version 6.13.215
VRZ_XT894_6.5.1-167_DR4-1_M1-215_1FF_01 (1.18GB)
MD5: DC1BD2BCD86D78896B4021EAB3DC59B9
DOWNLOAD (MIRRORS: 1, 2, 3, 4)

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Download one of the fastboot image files above
  2. Download and install RSDLite 5.7
  3. Download and install the Motorola USB Drivers
  4. Power off your phone
  5. Hold the volume up, volume down, and power buttons at the same time until you see the bootloader menu
  6. Use the volume down button to navigate to "Recovery" then use the volume up button to select it
  7. When you see the android/triangle, press both volume buttons together
  8. Select "wipe data/factory reset" and on the next screen select "Yes -- delete all user data"
  9. Once it's finished, select "reboot system now" then immediately press both volume buttons until you see the bootloader menu
  10. Connect your phone to your PC via USB
  11. Use the volume down button to navigate to "AP Fastboot" then use the volume up button to select it
  12. Open RSDLite, press the "..." button at the top, and select the fastboot image .zip file
  13. Select "Decompress And Start Flashing" and wait for the process to finish (it will take around 20-30 minutes)
  14. Once the process is complete, your device should function normally

Credits: kholk, daywalker04, and Skrilax_CZ @ XDA, djb.617 and myfishbear @ DroidForums

Last edited:

jordanmarx

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: [HOW TO] Restore your Motorola Droid 4 to stock [Windows Only

I went through the entire process and it worked like a charm! Long procedure, but it works! My device, after rooting and deleting stock apps, now has the most recent update.

--Jordan

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

I have a couple questions, and I'm a newbie when it comes to stuff like this. Just got my wife a used Droid 4 that was rooted, so I want to make sure that it is all back to stock for her (just easier that way). Anyway, here are my questions:

1) Where is the MD5 located so that I can check it?

2) How do I get RSDLite to run? It keeps saying I don't have the right program to open it.

I think that would be all for right now. I think I can get everything else taken care of if I know those two things. Thanks to anyone that can chime in!

55willow

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

1) Where is the MD5 located so that I can check it?
I've listed the MD5 hashes in the original post under the filenames. Just copy that value into the MD5 Checker then run the program.
2) How do I get RSDLite to run? It keeps saying I don't have the right program to open it.
The download itself is in a compressed format (.rar...sort of like a .zip file.) You can use a program like 7-Zip (free) to extract the installer file.

EDIT: I just changed the link directly to the installer file so you can open it now without having to extract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildo6882

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

I've listed the MD5 hashes in the original post under the filenames. Just copy that value into the MD5 Checker then run the program.

The download itself is in a compressed format (.rar...sort of like a .zip file.) You can use a program like 7-Zip (free) to extract the installer file.

EDIT: I just changed the link directly to the installer file so you can open it now without having to extract.

Awesome! Thanks! Those two things were really confusing me. I'm definitely a noob when it comes to this, so I appreciate the help. I'll report back when I have it up and running.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Just wanted to say thank you once again. This worked flawlessly and I appreciate it.

neiromn

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

I used this guide earlier today and it worked just fine on the first run.

I just wonder, will this now allow me to receive the official verizon ICS update? The reason I went back to stock was because I was rooted and the update failed multiple times. Now that I have flashed back to stock when I go to system updates it says "Your device is up to date! No update is necessary at this time." So I wonder if I just have to wait for it to get pushed again or if it won't automatically do it and I will have to flash an official ICS copy.

mmaestro

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site

Any news on the ICS getting a similar treatment? I want to try flashing Google Now onto my D4, but don't want to do so until I have a reliable way of returning to stock if necessary.

Edit: XDA has the ICS files here.

Last edited:

motoD_

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site

bumping this because im way behind.
is the RSD supposed to recognize my droid 4? when i click "..." things go array.
1. i click "..." 2. download folder opens up. 3. the folders appear to have a zipper on them. 4. i click on the folder, error pops up with "get decompress file size error". 5. click "ok", SDL pops up with "unzip fail".
whats going on here?