Application switching

moongdss74

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi there!

I'm coming to droid from Black Berry, and reading thru the great articles and threads on this site has helped so much!

One thing I'm not clear about is how to easily swap between 2 apps. On the BB, you simply held down the menu button and a popup menu would let you select between running programs. Like ALT+TAB on the PC.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Diana

Sent from my DROID4 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I know this is going to be an incredibly generic answer, and for that I apologize in advance, but I would simply Google "easily switching applications in android" and see what comes up. I did it and saw several links that could be of help, including a YouTube video. Surely you will find the one you need that will give you the perfect answer.

Caped Codder

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Long press (1 second) on the home key will show the last 10 apps you ran. The one you want is likely to be there. I came to android from webOS and find this pretty klunky to use. I will never forgive HP for what they did to a truly great product.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: moongdss74

mupi

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'm being dense, but how is two presses on the screen "clunky"? Granted I don't know how WebOS handled switching apps, but even compared to windows' ALT+TAB, this is much more efficient. It's also almost exactly like BB's interface, except that instead of hitting menu button, which likely has meaning to the application, you are hitting the home button, which usually doesn't (and shouldn't)

Caped Codder

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I was unclear. What I meant is that I find the Android OS klunky compared to webOS. I'm hoping ICS will help. The really important point, though, is: I'll never forgive HP.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

dcs0582

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Had the Palm Pre 2 for about a year and loved WebOS. The card view paradigm of app switching and termination is absolutely the bomb and far superior to any competing option I've used. You can thank Colonel Klink (Leo Apotheker) for killing WebOS. That and many other missteps ensured that the SAP-reject was shown the door less than a year after his arrival at HP. (Yes, I work for HP. No, I can't give the full story here.)

Thanks for the "long-press on home" tip for seeing recent apps in Android. That will come in handy. I still find it odd that you have to dig into settings - apps - running apps to see and kill those that you wish to proactively terminate. What happens otherwise? Does the kernel wait for memory pressure or some other resource shortage before deciding to kill one or more background apps still running?

I still prefer controlling which apps terminate and which drop into the background when I leave an app.

Know that a great many of us mourn the loss of commercial WebOS development. Even my Touchpad now runs ICS (CM9).

Reactions: Caped Codder

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy