Wonky touch screen while plugged in

TechWolf

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
So I've had this issue with both a DROID 3 and a DROID 4. While plugged in and charging, the touch screen becomes very buggy. Either it ghosts or misreads touch inputs or simply doesn't work at all. Does this happen to anyone else and is there a known fix? Kinda aggravating being unable to use the phone without unplugging it every time

schatzy62

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes this happens to me on my Droid X and Droid 4 if i use a NON Motorola Charger.

Most aftermarket charges are not regulated very will and have a lot of noise on the charge voltage and as such it causes all kinds of problems with the Motorola line of phones. I have also heard reports of Samsung and LG phones doing similar things.

Make sure you use a Motorola Charger.

schatzy62

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Does this to me, especially on the unlock screen. Using a moto charger already.

I have NEVER had a problem with a Motorola charger but every other charger i have used causes this problem.

If it is an older charger like one that only puts out 400-450 ma that may also cause a problem as it really needs more than that to charge properly.

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I always assumed that it was a loose connection in the charging port. It happens from time to time to me, but if I hold onto the charger's cable where it connects to the phone it seems to not have a problem. I usually only see this when it's plugged in for awhile and I have to pattern unlock.

I have had this happen on the chargers that came with my D4 and my D2 (when used with the D4), as well as a couple of off-brand chargers.

HikaruIchijo

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here with Droid 4. Happens on any charger, even on the Motorola HD Dock. Strangely, my wife's Droid 4 does NOT have the same issue on the same dock.

Boo. No solutions outside of this? Defective phone?

geoffisonbass

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I've had this happen on one cheap charger, and the phone works perfectly on another even cheaper charger from Walmart... go figure.

Sent from my DROID4 using Android Central Forums

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it's definitely not a Moto vs non-Moto charger issue, mine does it regardless of how I'm charging it. It even does it if I use the inductive charger.

IC3D

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
There's no fix to this issue. It basically comes down to if the charger and your phone want to be friendly with one another. I've had similar issues with my Droid 4 wanting to install MotoCast every 15 seconds, when I have it installed already. Maybe I'll see if I can work-out an app to fix this issue, being these are the things I do.. hack/fix phones. ;] I will re-post here if I create a fix.

Theis81

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I know this thread is a little old, but I wanted to bump to see if anyone else had any info on it. I am experiencing the same thing, however it isn't just when charging, it appears to be happening when the phone gets very low on battery and is then plugged in. The issue persists for some time after unplugging it as well, which is a real pia. This started about a month ago, and is avoidable if I don't let the battery get that low, but I'm lazy and don't pay enough attention to have that be effective lol.

George Dias

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
This might be due to an older electrical system in your home or building. I have this problem in all the outlets of my 1929 condo but my coworker only has it on his outlets in an older wing of his house. It does not happen at my 1980s construction office either. I looked up this thread to see if anyone has a solution, but apparently not. Would be interesting to know if my conjecture is right and if there is a filter or something that could be used on the electrical plug to prevent this.

Gordon Wardell

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
I finally fixed mine after a couple of months playing about. A bit drastic but it works for me. I spliced a wire into the negative DC lead from the charger and led it alongside the charger lead, taping them together at intervals to AC earth, in the mains plug.

Jeremy Gooden

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I've been having this issue occur and I've read several articles about the issue occuring on multiple phones. There are several possible issues that it could be; a. Bad charger (improper connection causing static surges in phone, weak charger), b. Software bug (some believe it's virus related or just bad protocols) c. Hardware bug (screen cables, touch screen, bad sensors.) People have done everything from factory resets to throwing the phone or other device across the room with explicit language. If it is doing it only when on charge it is charger related, try replacing your charger or trying other outlets or taking it to another building all together to try to boil it down to any of those, check cable for damage, usb chargers try using a different base to connect to, different cords, so forth all items have different outputs even made by the same company and it could be something as little as the cord isn't able to send enough charge or is sending too much charge.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay