Where's the Droid 5?

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I am a little disappointed that there was no Droid 5 announcement with the other 3 phones the other day. I like my D4, but it's starting to get a little laggy. May have to switch to CyanogenMod...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I am a little disappointed that there was no Droid 5 announcement with the other 3 phones the other day. I like my D4, but it's starting to get a little laggy. May have to switch to CyanogenMod...

I think that form factor is dead.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Not a huge demand, but I think it still has a place. Look at BlackBerry (not that they're relevant anymore). They've released a physical keyboard device. I think there's still a market for those of us who still like to use a real keyboard vs. a virtual keyboard.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I think the Keyboard slider from Motorola is gone. As a fan of this form factor I am really disappointed! I bought the OG Droid on launch day, then the D2Global, then my D4 on launch day. I don't think Motorola killed it though. I think Google did. Android is all about touch. Continuing to spend the effort to support physical keyboards in Android is just not worth the effort to them with the tiny sales numbers of these types of phones. Imam typing this on my Nexus 10 using the touch keyboard. I like it on a larger screen. I have been playing with my Daughters SGS4 & using touch keyboards on its larger screen is not too bad. If Moto puts out a D5, I will be all over it, but I'm not betting on it, so we will see what is available around Feb 2014 when my contract is up.

Posted via the totally awesome Android Central App

danaeckel

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, My contract for my droid three will be up in three months. I am in need for a G4 phone, and I love my keyboard. It is a waste of screen space to use a virtual keyboard. However if there is no Droid5 by the time I upgrade, I will more than likely switch to a Windows 8 phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, My contract for my droid three will be up in three months. I am in need for a G4 phone, and I love my keyboard. It is a waste of screen space to use a virtual keyboard. However if there is no Droid5 by the time I upgrade, I will more than likely switch to a Windows 8 phone.

Uh. Wouldn't you be switching to a BlackBerry instead?

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
That LG phone is not even as good as the Droid 4. It is a bottom feeder at best. Just goes to show the state of keyboard phones on Android, basically hopeless.....

Posted via the totally awesome Android Central App

darkmatter

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I hate using on screen keyboards. They are so slow to use. It usually takes me at least twice as long to type a message when I'm using the on screen keyboard. That's not even bringing up the times the on screen keyboard bugs out, and the only way to type is either reboot or use the physical keyboard.

Just got a Droid 4 off ebay that I'm looking forward to. The new droids/moto x look really nice, but i'd rather buy a year-ish old phone with a keyboard than a newfangled one without.

Now, a Moto X slider? I think I would pay full retail on release day for that.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton