Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By delrey1900
  • 1 Post By sd_shadow
  • 1 Post By sd_shadow
  • 1 Post By delrey1900
  • 2 Post By sd_shadow
  • 1 Post By sd_shadow
  • 1 Post By delrey1900
  • 1 Post By sd_shadow
  • 1 Post By chattery
  • 1 Post By sd_shadow
  • 1 Post By chattery
  • 1 Post By sd_shadow
  • 1 Post By mightysween
  • 1 Post By mightysween
  • 1 Post By fieldlab
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Droid 4 Flashed to Page Plus (3G) Keeps Losing 3G Data

So I have a Verizon Droid 4 that is running Android 4.1.2 (Un-rooted). I have had it fully flashed over to Page Plus (Phone and Data) so the data that I have to currently use is 3G vs. 4G LTE.

Last Tuesday I noticed that my 3G Data had stopped working. No biggie I thought, I just turned my phone off and back on. 3G back…but only for about 14 minutes after 14 minutes the data disconnected. At this point I am a little concerned. I attempt a few different avenues to restart the data, Airplane Mode On/Off. I’ve done a Data On/Off, Hard Reset, Safe Mode Start, turning off Wi-Fi and starting…same results. The phone turns on and the 3G data lasts about 14 minutes and then it disconnects.

Wi-Fi works, Phone and Text Work (except for MMS).

Here goes a brief list of things I have tried ( I have not attempted a Factory Reset, that is one of my last resorts, I have Wi-Fi most places so I can manage or I just reboot my phone when I need data). I have done the following:

• Resetting the Phone by Holding down Power Button For 10 Seconds or until phone cuts off
    • Hard Reset by holding down Volume Down Button for 10 Seconds or until phone cuts off
    • Powering Off and turning back on
    • Restarting Phone in Safe Mode
    • Resetting APN to Default Settings
    • Turning ‘Data enabled’ off and back on (Settings -> Wireless & Networks --> More -> More -> Mobile Networks
    • Turning ‘Mobile data’ off and back on (Settings --> Wireless & Networks --> Data usage)
    • Confirmed Network is set to CDMA/LTE

Someone mentioned that this may be a hardware issue. Not sure about that, but any info that I might be able to get would be helpful.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Droid 4 Flashed to Page Plus (3G) Keeps Losing 3G Data

I know you said you turned wi-fi on and off, but did you try leaving it off? With my old D4, I had problems with WiFi acting funny like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by delrey1900 View Post
    I know you said you turned wi-fi on and off, but did you try leaving it off? With my old D4, I had problems with WiFi acting funny like this.
    Yes, I have left it off. I cut it off, made sure that the auto-turn on was off and rebooted. 14 minutes in 3G Gone... Thank you for the suggestion however.

Try installing this https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...se3.opensignal
    This will at least show you how your signal should be. When it drops 3G, is it showing 1x?
    This is from Page Plus' website.
    Only phones sold by Page Plus carry a full warranty and are guaranteed to function properly for all the features they are capable of. Each is certified and fully supported by Page Plus’ technical and service support. These phones can be purchased on our website or from authorized Page Plus dealers. While some phones not purchased directly from Page Plus or one of its dealers may work on the Page Plus network, we do not support them and their functionality may be limited.
    I find it rather odd that were able to get the D4 to work on Page Plus. Did you get an unlock code from Verizon? I have a feeling that even though the phone was 'flashed' it's not supporting the network very well. You can blame Verizon for that.
    Its_Jahmezz likes this.

Page plus uses the verizon network, most verizon 3g phones require no flashing to use on page plus. Getting a motorola/verizon 4g/lte phone to work on page plus takes a few steps.
    Could be a bad sim card.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk
    Its_Jahmezz likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by sd_shadow View Post
    Page plus uses the verizon network, most verizon 3g phones require no flashing to use on page plus. Getting a motorola/verizon 4g/lte phone to work on page plus takes a few steps.
    Could be a bad sim card.

Second time someone mentioned a bad SIM. I'll look into that next.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by delrey1900 View Post
    Try installing this https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...se3.opensignal
    This will at least show you how your signal should be. When it drops 3G, is it showing 1x?
    This is from Page Plus' website.

I find it rather odd that were able to get the D4 to work on Page Plus. Did you get an unlock code from Verizon? I have a feeling that even though the phone was 'flashed' it's not supporting the network very well. You can blame Verizon for that.
    "Authorized Page Plus Dealers" have the ability to Fully Flash a 4G to Page Plus as of now Page Plus doesn't support 4G Lte. It also worked for about 2 months this way with no issue.

When the Signal drops It doesn't show Anything at all, unless I am connected to Wi-Fi and in this instance, It Shows a Greyed Out 4G LTE Instead of the 3G. Thanks for the info, i'll look into the app you recommended also

Might be a setting to force no 4g search

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    Its_Jahmezz likes this.

Might be a setting to force no 4g search

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
    Unless the 'Flash' changes this option, you cannot turn off LTE. The phone will switch from 3G to LTE and back automatically.

Check into that sim and keep us updated....
    Its_Jahmezz likes this.

How-To: Turn off 4g/lte, and only allow 3G max
    open dialer
    dial *#*#4636#*#* (when you press the last *, testing menu will open)

Droid 4 Flashed to Page Plus (3G) Keeps Losing 3G Data-2014_05_13_111448_zpsac4fffb0.png
    select phone information
    change LTE/CDMA/EvDo
    Droid 4 Flashed to Page Plus (3G) Keeps Losing 3G Data-2014_05_13_113501_zps7735d33d.png

to CDMA auto (PRL)
    Droid 4 Flashed to Page Plus (3G) Keeps Losing 3G Data-2014_05_13_113717_zps51ada4df.png

press home button to exit, may take a few secs to change.

Edit: marked up screenshots
    also several apps in play store that will also do this search: 4g lte toggle
    just an option to try
    tested on Verizon, no guarantee that it will fix losing 3g
    Its_Jahmezz and delrey1900 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Its_Jahmezz View Post
    ...It also worked for about 2 months this way with no issue...
    It may not be phone, it could be a change with local cell tower.
    Its_Jahmezz likes this.

I was unaware of that testing menu. I wonder if it works for all Motorola phones?
    Its_Jahmezz likes this.

Dx, d2, dx2, d3, d4 that I know of

Its_Jahmezz likes this.

Hello all. I have the same phone, same carrier, and same problem. Mobile (limited to 3G since Page + doesn't allow 4G) data has been working great for about a year for me. Only recently has it done this drop-the-mobile-data-after-the-phone-has-been-on-awhile thing.

Its_Jahmezz, did you do the recent OTA OS update (98.72.189.en.US is what shows up on my phone)?

(edit) Has this been resolved by anyone?

Thanks,
    chattery
    Its_Jahmezz likes this.

Don't update, if you updated that's the problem, need to reflash to page plus

Sent from my Amazon OtterX using Tapatalk
    Its_Jahmezz likes this.

I have not yet updated using the OTA. I am still curious if others with this setup have done the OTA update because I'm getting annoyed hearing about it every 12 hours.

However, I believe I've fixed my "losing 3G" issue, as described by Its_Jahmezz above. Here's what I did:
    1. Entered the programming menu (Dialer: ##7764726, send),
    2. went to "06 Test Mode",
    3. tapped NEXT twice and noticed Network Selection had changed to something with LTE in it. Peculiar - this was not how I had left it when I flashed to Page Plus. (LTE means 4G, right? And Page Plus is limited to 3G so that can't be the right setting) So...
    4. changed it back to "CDMA and EVDO", as I remember it being to get it to work with Page Plus.
    5. Once changed, pressed back twice and the phone restarted.

Upon reboot, 3G came up and has not gone away.
    Its_Jahmezz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chattery View Post
    I have not yet updated using the OTA. I am still curious if others with this setup have done the OTA update because I'm getting annoyed hearing about it every 12 hours.
    to stop updates
    Rename /system/app/BlurUpdater_VZW.apk to BlurUpdater_VZW.apk.bak.
    Rename /system/app/BlurUpdater_VZW.odex to BlurUpdater_VZW.odex.bak.
    rename FOTA.apk to FOTA.apk.bak
    and FOTA.odex to FOTA.odex.bak
    reboot, wipe cache
    Its_Jahmezz likes this.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

This is due to changes being made by Verizon. Speculation is that 4g will be officially supported by PP very soon.

When your signal shows nothing, check about phone->status and you may find that it shows you are connected to LTE

In AOSP roms, there is a simple toggle for LTE in the qucksettings menu. It prevents the phone from trying to connect. It is persistent on reboots as well. I have found no persistent way to fix stock.
    Its_Jahmezz likes this.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

However, I believe I've fixed my "losing 3G" issue, as described by Its_Jahmezz above. Here's what I did:
    3. tapped NEXT twice and noticed Network Selection had changed to something with LTE in it. Peculiar - this was not how I had left it when I flashed to Page Plus. (LTE means 4G, right? And Page Plus is limited to 3G so that can't be the right setting) So...
    4. changed it back to "CDMA and EVDO", as I remember it being to get it to work with Page Plus.

Works on my D4 but next reboot is back to normal...is yours persisting through reboots?

Sent from my XT875 using AC Forums mobile app
    Its_Jahmezz likes this.

On page plus with my droid razr, I sometimes have to fix the issue of 3G dropping back to 1G, by using ##PROGRAM (##7764726) > "enter SPC password"= 000000, then "verify" > test mode (option 06) > network type = "CDMA and EVDO". It seems to reset itself occasionally to something including LTE and GSM/WCDMA.

Not only does the setting persist across reboots, my Droid Razr *forces* a reboot after changing that value.

I noted that dialing *#*#INFO#*#* (*#*#4636#*#*) and selecting "phone information" shows "preferred network type" is set to "CDMA (auto PRL)".
    Its_Jahmezz likes this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

How-To: Turn off 4g/lte, and only allow 3G max
    open dialer
    dial *#*#4636#*#* (when you press the last *, testing menu will open)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014_05_13_111448_zpsac4fffb0.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	118009
    select phone information
    change LTE/CDMA/EvDo

Name:	2014_05_13_113501_zps7735d33d.png 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	118010

to CDMA auto (PRL)

Name:	2014_05_13_113717_zps51ada4df.png 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	118013

press home button to exit, may take a few secs to change.

Edit: marked up screenshots
    also several apps in play store that will also do this search: 4g lte toggle
    just an option to try
    tested on Verizon, no guarantee that it will fix losing 3g
    I gave up on this months ago!!! I forgot about this thread and was dealing with it. I just happened upon this during a search of something completely different. I just tried this. My phone had cut off the 3G after making this change, it put the 3G back on. AWESOMENESS!! I wish I could thank you twice!!

I have not tried to see if it persists through a reboot, but even if it doesn't this is still awesome.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

I want to take a moment and thank everyone who posted on this thread. I hope it helps someone else in the future also. I literally forgot about this thread, as I was just dealing with it (rebooting every time I wanted some data). I happened back on the thread today after searching for something totally different. I see other people sent options which I didn't try. I tried sd_shadow's option just b/c it was the first pics I saw. It appears to have worked. I thank all of you once again for continuing to post about this. Thank you! #DroidLIfe LOL!

**I have not tried to see if it persists through a reboot, but even if it doesn't this is still awesome and I'll try other peoples options.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Update: sd_shadow's solution did work, but it appears I was able to get a persistent result throught reboots from chattery's and fieldlab's suggestions. Thanks again all! Hopefully this will help someone. (Hopefully Page Plus steps their 4G game up in reality)
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

It worked and was persistent through the reboot! Thanks!
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by fieldlab View Post
    On page plus with my droid razr, I sometimes have to fix the issue of 3G dropping back to 1G, by using ##PROGRAM (##7764726) > "enter SPC password"= 000000, then "verify" > test mode (option 06) > network type = "CDMA and EVDO". It seems to reset itself occasionally to something including LTE and GSM/WCDMA.

Not only does the setting persist across reboots, my Droid Razr *forces* a reboot after changing that value.

I noted that dialing *#*#INFO#*#* (*#*#4636#*#*) and selecting "phone information" shows "preferred network type" is set to "CDMA (auto PRL)".
    It worked and was persistent through the reboot! Thanks!