MAXX 2 SD Memory Card Issues

DamTexan

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I got my Droid Maxx 2 yesterday. I've experienced the SD problem from the very second I got home with my phone. I have a 128 g Sandisk Ultra.
I've reseated the SD multiple times and restarted my phone numerous times. It reads for a few minutes after reset but unmounts soon after.
There is about a 32 of an inch play in the tray. It slides just slightly back and forth in the tray. The SD card does not "snap" in or feel secure no matter how I seat it. I will be returning this phone asap. I'm not going to wait for Motorola to admit they messed up.

danhotchkiss

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
For the benefit of all who are experiencing this problem, here is what I did that so far seems to have worked, based on 24 hours of moderate use. I'm using a Droid Maxx 2 with a 128GB Sandisk SD card that has been disconnecting anywhere from 1 minute to an hour after rebooting:

I went to Settings, Storage & USB, Sandisk SD card, Apps. This brings up a list of apps that Android has moved to the SD card, If they are not sorted by size, you can sort them using the menu. I started moving some of the bigger apps back to internal memory by selecting them and clicking "Change."

For me, the culprit seemed to be Evernote. Or possibly Roboform. So long as it is working, I am done tinkering!

Good luck,
Dan

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
For the benefit of all who are experiencing this problem, here is what I did that so far seems to have worked, based on 24 hours of moderate use. I'm using a Droid Maxx 2 with a 128GB Sandisk SD card that has been disconnecting anywhere from 1 minute to an hour after rebooting:

I went to Settings, Storage & USB, Sandisk SD card, Apps. This brings up a list of apps that Android has moved to the SD card, If they are not sorted by size, you can sort them using the menu. I started moving some of the bigger apps back to internal memory by selecting them and clicking "Change."

For me, the culprit seemed to be Evernote. Or possibly Roboform. So long as it is working, I am done tinkering!

Good luck,
Dan
This might explain why I haven't experienced the problem. I never moved any apps over to my sd card. I just use the storage for music and pictures. Good work!

danhotchkiss

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
There are two sets of user options that affect this issue. One is whether to use the SD card as "internal" vs. "external" memory. The problem we are discussing in this thread only occurs if you choose "internal." When "internal" is chosen, Android moves some apps to the SD card without user intervention, unless the user chooses (app by app) to prevent it from doing so.

Dan

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
One of my earlier posts (#12) recognizes that fact. And the post by noballoffire (#14) says they are experiencing the problem with the card formatted as external.

I never formatted my card as adoptable storage and this is one of the reasons why. Between the problems some people have had and the fact that you can't recover anything off the card pushed me towards not doing that and just using it for music and pictures. I'm not an app hound and I won't fill up the internal memory of my phone.

Julie Jordan1

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
I am having the exact same issue. I have tried everything but a factory reset but will try that next. I back up my photos to a cloud so I am not concerned about maintaining them. This has been quite annoying.
Julie

aughraseye

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I am having a similar problem that started right after I upgraded to Marshmallow:

I had a Samsung 64GB card that worked fine until I upgraded. After the upgrade I could only intermittently see the card with all of the data on it.

I was able to retrieve all of my data by plugging the card into an adapter. I tried reformatting, no dice.

I've tried clearing the phone cache, clearing the data / caches for the external storage and media in the apps, and turning the phone off / taking the card out / turning the phone on / turning the phone off / reinserting the card.

Nothing works. I never see the card anymore.

The card works fine in any other phone.

I bought a brand new 32GB Samsung card, and the phone doesn't see it at all.

This is really irritating. The phone isn't that old, and I still have many payments left on it.

I just installed the most recent update that came out.

Richard Bradley1

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Having the same issues as Roy. Have pulled the card out for the moment. Hope they figure this out soon. Was happy with the maxx, thought the maxx 2 would be even better. Never should have upgraded I'm coming to believe.

bebeazucar

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site

Good luck,
Dan

Thank you! Thank you! So far, so good, this seems to have fixed my problems , and yes, I had already tried all the other solutions mentioned.
SB

Captain_Karaoke

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
I'm on my 4th Droid Maxx 2 and my 2nd SanDisk 128 gB card.
all the phones had this problem, thank goodness for insurance.
I think the problem might be heat-related.
how many of you use an otter box or life-pruf cover with their phone?

Tracey Lucks

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I am having same trouble. My Droid Maxx 2 worked fine with the 64 Samsung SD card. Then it just disappeared about 8 months into ownership. I tested the card in another device and it works just fine. Now the phone is almost unusable with the tiny amount of space they leave me after all the factory junk they put in there that I can't remove. Not sure what to do at this point.

marc weldon

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
Is anyone having issues where the SD memory card "unexpectedly" unmounts at random times? I worked with Verizon and they have replaced the card and subsequently the phone but I am still having issues. Currently it re-finds the card sometimes and sometimes I need to do a power off/on to get it to find the card.

Hi I was having the same issue and I had my droid Maxx 2 replaced 3 times same issue so I finally changed my sd card from a sandisk sd card to a pony sd card and I have had no problems since I changed to a different sd card hope this helps!!!

garymdietz

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
November. Same problem persists.

I am in a twitter convo with @VZWsupport about this. We better get Android 7 soon and I hope this is fixed.

In an IM convo with VZW support they told me since I have no contract I can exchange for another device is I want. Has anyone done this?

emuloV mumixaM

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I was having this problem with my Motorola Droid Maxx 2.
I installed a 64 GB card and it worked ok for a while, then I started getting the "missing SD card" error.
I would pop out the card and push the tray back in and everything would be OK for a while...
Then it started happening more often, and I noticed that it often happened after using the camera.
Like everyone else I searched the forums with no joy.
Because of the association with the operation of the camera, I concluded that this was likely not a software issue at all, but a hardware problem. The SD card was physically losing connection with its mating contacts.
My SD card mounts on the back side of the same little tray that holds the SIM card and the tray "fingers" do not grip it firmly, so it can move if the phone is jarred or from the vibration when the camera focuses.
Here is my solution: i glued the SD card to the SIM card with nail glue, so it cannot move.
I also had to reformat the SD card, as it had become corrupted from being removed when it lost contact.

That was two months ago, and I have not had a single SD card error.
Before securing the card where it couldn't move I was having spontaneous SD card errors several times a day, and almost every time I used the camera. It was making me CRAZY!

I have seen that Samsung phones are having similar errors and suspect that they may be using the same SIM card/ SD card drive tray.

Rock on ...

Last edited:

jmlasker1

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I found a great way to resolve the micro SD card issue. Get a card other than a SanDisk. After months of inconsistent operation of my SanDisk Ultra 32GB microSDHC UHS-I Card, I decided to try another card. This was a Samsung EVO 32GB Class 10 Micro SDHC Card. The Samsung card fit into the Maxx 2 holder tray in a much tighter manner - the SanDisk card moved around in the tray which, in all likelihood, is the reason for the errors. And that is why Maximum Volume was able to resolve his SD card problem by gluing it into place. Will update on the longevity of this fix in a subsequent post but I am sure that the problem has been laid to rest.

callahan jason

May 10, 2016
Visit site
I'm using an OtterBox, and I have noticed the phone gets hot too often. But the last sd card worked for almost a year before issues started..
The phone won't even recognize my previous SanDisk card anymore. Switched to a lexar about a month ago

RL67037

May 25, 2017
Visit site
All

I have been beating my head against the wall over this as well. Having ALL of the same issues. Tried other cards, factory reset, formatting on a computer with Windows 7 AND Windows 10. Nothing helped - then I finally found this on the internet:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/DROID-...Card-missing-not-inserted-solved/td-p/3441287

Got it by searching Lenovo instead of Motorola. I added the tape behind the contacts of my Samsung EVO 64GB card, inserted it into my phone (it goes in quite a bit tighter), powered it up and BAM - all is well. Recognized it right away.

Good luck all!!

JMKeene

Jan 1, 2018
Visit site
Maxx 2 memory card issues as well... Not the "loose as a goose" problem, but I'm not able to move apps over to my Lexar 64gb card, and I keep running out of internal storage, even though all music, photos & vids are stored there. I've followed instructions but when I navigate to the APPS, Settings, there is only STORAGE, not STORAGE & USB. The card has been reformatted, the phone reset to factory, but none of the apps show that they can be moved, as they did in my Ultra. What am I doing wrong?